Chefs loves my Kono HD which knife to get him that will compare

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
So my chef always steals my Kono HD at work and is always hinting the he loves the knife. Im looking to get him something similar, something stainless or semi-stainless with wa handle preferable but yo handle is fine.

Im more concerned with price overall i don't want to spend very much as i have to buy everyone christmas gifts.

I was thinking the carbonext its 128 right now thats pretty decent, or the TKC but thats kinda outa my price range. any other suggestions??

I'm having a hard time thinking of any real substitute for the HD in a lower price range. The CarboNext is the obvious choice, but by most accounts needs thinning.

Yeah. You're not going to get anything with that kind of fit and finish for less, I think. The CN is fine without thinning but can do better with a little TLC. That's where I'd go.

Giving your chef anything less than a Kono HD will be, well, less. Why don't you clean your Kono up and give it to your chef and buy yourself a CN? This is assuming that you really like your chef and where you work.

Dang... That would be love, right there...

How about the Yusuke Swedish Stainless f/ Blue Way Japan? It's less than a Kono (or any other comparable), but their steel is HRC 58-59 compared to the Kono's 61. BWJ offers Yusuke's stainless and white #2 which is HRC 61-62 for the same price in each knife in each length, in both wa and yo handles. I have the white #2 and don't have any problems w/ rust or reactivity to foods.

If that's too much, then I 2nd the CarboNext. mpp

Giving your chef anything less than a Kono HD will be, well, less. Why don't you clean your Kono up and give it to your chef and buy yourself a CN? This is assuming that you really like your chef and where you work.

Ya not gonna happen lol. I love that knife way too much plus i don't really have the money to get another one. I was thinking the Gesshin 210

What about the Kikuichi TKC? It's a solid workhorse knife in any kitchen.

How about the Yusuke Swedish Stainless f/ Blue Way Japan? It's less than a Kono (or any other comparable), but their steel is HRC 58-59 compared to the Kono's 61. BWJ offers Yusuke's stainless and white #2 which is HRC 61-62 for the same price in each knife in each length, in both wa and yo handles. I have the white #2 and don't have any problems w/ rust or reactivity to foods.

If that's too much, then I 2nd the CarboNext. mpp

^^this

but if the yusuke's too much, why not a yoshihiro that you hand-smoothed the edges to? it'll be cheaper.

That is an option, i first thought of the TKC but i knew i couldn't afford the price so i was hoping the CN would be a good deal cheaper but its really not by much.

I would just get the white #2 version of the knife. $100 cheaper if that's in your price range...

Its not really that i like him that much, but he has only ever used cusineart knives and i almost feel bad for him that when he uses mine i can tell he really enjoys a good knife. Id like to stay under a $100 although I'm not sure anything in that range remotely compares.

Maybe get him a combo stone and teach him how to sharpen his own knives?

No matter how nice a blade you give him, if he doesn't learn how to keep it sharp he'll be borrowing yours anyway.

He's your boss thus he can afford to buy his own dang knife. You are seriously the nicest line cook I've ever heard of.

He's your boss thus he can afford to buy his own dang knife. You are seriously the nicest line cook I've ever heard of.
I kind of agree with this - it's not like HD's are a rarity. Plus, if he buys it, he might spring for a super-cool handle or something (just so you guys don't mix up your knives ... and so his can be pimped out).

+1 I understand being a nice guy, but this is a bit weird and could make problems at work depending on what type of work environment.

I think you guys are reading way too much into this. But in that price range, I'd Get a carbonext, no doubt about it.

How can you guys tell him It's weird with no idea where he works, who he works with and the type of vibe at his workplace. I've gifted a knife or two when money wasn't a concern, I've sharpened knives of co workers, I've let people borrow knives, I love spreading the knife gospel when I can.

How can you guys tell him It's weird with no idea where he works, who he works with and the type of vibe at his workplace. I've gifted a knife or two when money wasn't a concern, I've sharpened knives of co workers, I've let people borrow knives, I love spreading the knife gospel when I can.

Hmm you are right!

Easily, I just did. Sounds like you're a great guy, the most I do is sometimes bake or help him haul something in my truck. He makes twice as much as I do, why would I spend $100-200 on him? I know what my coworkers would say, but I'll leave that to your imagination. Then again, I am in the military and there are rules against that.

Easily, I just did. Sounds like you're a great guy, the most I do is sometimes bake or help him haul something in my truck. He makes twice as much as I do, why would I spend $100-200 on him? I know what my coworkers would say, but I'll leave that to your imagination. Then again, I am in the military and there are rules against that.

I see what you're saying and how it could be strange.
It's different from kitchen to kitchen though, I've worked with chefs who I wouldn't even share a recipe with but I've worked with others who have held raffles to raise money on my behalf while I was out of work. Too many variables IMO to say it'd be weird in all cases. That's the only point I was trying to make, apologies if it came across any differently.

Was thinking something similar.

You guys worry too much about what other people think.... seriously though who cares. This was a question about knives not work environment.

and ya our kitchen is very different, we have 90% of a young crew who all went to culinary school together and are good friends, plus our chef is also a part time instructor at the culinary school. We all usually get jackets or something from him/owners for christmas so i figure that itd be something nice to do since they are good to me.

I wouldn't spend 200+ on a knife for him as i can't afford it but if i can find a decent one for about 100 or less than ya sure i can spare that.

I'd buy a knife for my boss. It is a little wierd to spend money on someone who gave it to you in the first place, but a gift is a means of defining a relationship--by not giving a gift, you are basically saying "you are the guy who gives me money", and by giving a knife you are saying "you are a cook, whom I work with and notice".

Fujiwara. Just get him a Fujiwara. It's cheap, and not VG-10.

I have some brand new Miyabi 5000s 240mm gyutos if your interested, pm me.
They are thin and fairly shop out of the box. they have wa style handles

Back