Quantcast

Chicken breast temperature?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
Had some skin on bone in breast that I cooked at 146 for two hours. Came out ok. Was almost too soft and tender. What temperature is everyone cooking their chicken to these days ? Ryan

Dendrobatez

Reaction score
I'll go to 160, pull it and let it rest for a 10 minutes, sear, rest, slice. Texture is the main reason I dont go lower.

Dendrobatez

Reaction score
Is it still juicy at 160? Just firmer?
Yes, just don't forget about it or it'll turn into a grainy mess. A properly bagged breast should take 34-45 minutes to get to 160. Ill do it in a similar way in the restaurant, just have to cool it and hold at a lower temp.

waruixd

Reaction score
145 while actively cooking either roasting or pan fry, Then let it rest and it will carry over and cook just nice.

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
145. perfect for my liking. Too bad you have to cook chicken in the states for it to be safe. (145 is perfectly safe if you cook it long enough) used to eat raw chix in japan.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
I thought the 146 was okay...I think the texture was almost too soft....I might split the difference and try like 152 or so next time...ryan

Bensbites

Reaction score
I thought the 146 was okay...I think the texture was almost too soft....I might split the difference and try like 152 or so next time...ryan
I cook my chicken breasts to 140-145 depending on my mood. The texture is different than grilled. My family has grown to love it.

crlums

Reaction score
I go to 150. 145 is good but sometimes borderline too soft for my tastes. IMO 150 still retains tons of juiciness but texture is little better.

Eziemniak

Reaction score
How long for do you usually put your breast regardless of temp?

ModRQC

Kurouchi Down!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When brine beforehand you can stretch the internal temp higher, tons of moist still passed the USDA recommendation. Just saying. I like chix at 145-155 personally but with the girlfriend have to take it up a notch for texture. I found she's satisfied with 170-180 range. Wouldn't do that dry roasting without prior brining though. Cook around 2 hours low temperature, first half uncovered to crisp the skin, second half covered, splash a good amount of cooking juice before covering, and when getting it out of the oven, before letting it to rest still covered. I still preferred it when I could cook at a lower internal temp but crisp the skin even more not covering at all.

gregfisk

Reaction score
I’ve found I can go higher in my smoker than in my oven. It seems like 150 is good for the oven but I can easily go to 165 in the smoker and it’s still very moist. Same goes for pork tenderloin. I’m not a chef though so best listen to the experts here.