Sous Vide Chicken breast temperature?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
Had some skin on bone in breast that I cooked at 146 for two hours. Came out ok. Was almost too soft and tender. What temperature is everyone cooking their chicken to these days ? Ryan

145 while actively cooking either roasting or pan fry, Then let it rest and it will carry over and cook just nice.

145. perfect for my liking. Too bad you have to cook chicken in the states for it to be safe. (145 is perfectly safe if you cook it long enough) used to eat raw chix in japan.

I thought the 146 was okay...I think the texture was almost too soft....I might split the difference and try like 152 or so next time...ryan

I thought the 146 was okay...I think the texture was almost too soft....I might split the difference and try like 152 or so next time...ryan
I cook my chicken breasts to 140-145 depending on my mood. The texture is different than grilled. My family has grown to love it.

I go to 150. 145 is good but sometimes borderline too soft for my tastes. IMO 150 still retains tons of juiciness but texture is little better.

How long for do you usually put your breast regardless of temp?

When brine beforehand you can stretch the internal temp higher, tons of moist still passed the USDA recommendation. Just saying. I like chix at 145-155 personally but with the girlfriend have to take it up a notch for texture. I found she's satisfied with 170-180 range. Wouldn't do that dry roasting without prior brining though. Cook around 2 hours low temperature, first half uncovered to crisp the skin, second half covered, splash a good amount of cooking juice before covering, and when getting it out of the oven, before letting it to rest still covered. I still preferred it when I could cook at a lower internal temp but crisp the skin even more not covering at all.

I’ve found I can go higher in my smoker than in my oven. It seems like 150 is good for the oven but I can easily go to 165 in the smoker and it’s still very moist. Same goes for pork tenderloin. I’m not a chef though so best listen to the experts here.

When doing "chix tiddy" in SV I like the texture from 150's. I do turkey tiddy to 165F for my old folks to be in compliance with state and corporate requirements. It's still tender and not dried out but lower would be better.

I go around 150 for chicken breast, but I honestly don't see much appeal in cooking chicken breast SV unless there's some special reason. But I like a nice browned surface on both sides, and in the time it takes for that crust to develop, the chicken itself is cooked. For turkey, which really does benefit from low temps, I do 135 for 18-24hrs. Chefsteps suggests even lower at 130. It sounds insane, but the texture and flavor of the (very) low temp turkey is great. But it tends to be slightly pink at the lowest temps, so I go a little higher and am not shy about searing it hard (or even using an aggressive convection oven "sear").

We go about 90 minutes at 140 for boneless chicken breasts destined for browning; 150 or so if using in salad or if they are to be cubed for another purpose. The only thing I don't like about sous vide cooking for chicken is the effect of the vacuum sealing on the shape of the chicken breasts. After immersion cooking, they tend not to be very flat and therefore don't sear in a hot pan quite as well.

Back