Child safe knife storage?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We kept most of ours in the blocks on top of the counters, a few out on the cutting boards, and some in a drawer that was not secured. The biggest injury was to the wallets, as he wanted some of his own when he was around 9, and became seduced by the siren songs Butch Harner and Henry Hyde.

My daughter is 31. I still need to supervise her. She used one of my knives last week and nearly cut her finger. I'm still teaching her "knives are sharp in my house". It can be a very long process.

My grandkids get it though.*

*After that 1 time 1 of them decided to see if I was lying about it being sharp.

We kept most of ours in the blocks on top of the counters, a few out on the cutting boards, and some in a drawer that was not secured. The biggest injury was to the wallets, as he wanted some of his own when he was around 9, and became seduced by the siren songs Butch Harner and Henry Hyde.
At least he has good taste.

Congratulations! I have 4 little rips of varying size. The older 2 (7+5) have their own little knives.

I just modified a kitchen drawer with a little brass furniture lock (£6)

Needs a fresh sheet of foam and re-organising but you get the idea.

Key hangs on the wall where they can’t reach it.

Attachments

• IMG_8438.jpeg
    IMG_8438.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8439.jpeg
    IMG_8439.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
My knife bag/roll lives on top of my fridge.

I used to display my knives like this before I had a kid.

View attachment 328964

I also used to own those knives before I had a kid.

*sigh*

Happy Father's Day everyone!
nice tea light sculpture!

(edit) What’s the one that looks like a topo map?

I am not a family man but I once had young nephews with questing hands and fingers. I have always stored all of my knifes in lockable Chef's bags, which I can place way out of reach but are easy to get to when needed. There are a number of designs roll-ups, handled cases soft and hard, backpacks etc. You can get really good ones from Japan. They are expensive but they have lockable aluminium knife cases. I personally prefer the lockable backpack style, these cases can get rather heavy if you fill then up My current knife bag in is this shoulder bag. It goes without saying that all of the knives stored within this bag have safety covers on them.

https://noblehomeandchef.com/product/knife-bag-21-slots/

nice tea light sculpture!

(edit) What’s the one that looks like a topo map?

Thanks! The tea light thing was from Crate and Barrel. The topographic ones are Sukenari's mirror polished damascus. Those knives really were something. I miss the 270mm ZDP like crazy. The handle was so choice -- real nice fiery amboyna and buffalo horn. I often wonder what she's up to these days.

Back