chinese cleaver questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't recommend using a honing rod until you can confidently feel the edge on a stone

Agreed. If you're using a rod and maintaining a proper edge, then you should be able to transfer that over to a stone. Both methods require you to hold a certain and consistent angle.

When working with a stone, don't feel like you have to go fast, especially if you're using classic back and forth strokes. mark your edge with Sharpie and run it down the stone. Observe the marker and your edge. Re-mark, adjust your angle if necessary and do it again. Maybe make two or three strokes. In the beginning, you're trying to educate yourself about how your holding the knife but also recognizing that there is likely some inconsistencies in the "factory" grind.

Don't stress out over it. Relax and take your time. It'll come. :)

Agreed. If you're using a rod and maintaining a proper edge, then you should be able to transfer that over to a stone. Both methods require you to hold a certain and consistent angle.

When working with a stone, don't feel like you have to go fast, especially if you're using classic back and forth strokes. mark your edge with Sharpie and run it down the stone. Observe the marker and your edge. Re-mark, adjust your angle if necessary and do it again. Maybe make two or three strokes. In the beginning, you're trying to educate yourself about how your holding the knife but also recognizing that there is likely some inconsistencies in the "factory" grind.

Don't stress out over it. Relax and take your time. It'll come. :)
thank for info

should i sharpen the heel and tip of the vegetable cleaver more like vincent shows in this video ?
btw i am asking all this questions because i dont have any experience with sharpening chinese vegetable cleavers

As others have said, just sharpen it like you do any other knife. Keep it simple.

After you've sharpened your clever about a hundred times and consistently get excellent edges, then maybe come back and see what a master sharpener does. ;)

i heard mulitple guys say it in youtube i tried it and didnt know what am i searching for exactly if you can expand on that as it has been unclear subject for me for a long time hahahahah

If you slide a knife gently along the wetted stone, edge leading, at a very low angle so that the very edge does not yet contact the stone it will slide easily. If you then gradually lift the spine as you are sliding the knife forward, the very edge at some point will make contact with the stone and will slow down because the friction increases when the sharp edge starts to bite, and the sound will also get louder, and thats your angle. That's what I do, anyway, though I'm not an expert. I make a mental note of that angle and try to maintain that through the process, though by feel and sound you'll know you are there. After a while you'll automatically do that trick to find the edge without even realizing that's what you're doing because with practice it only takes about a second.

Last edited:
btw if you do edge leading strokes where will the burr be ?
i know where to search when doing edge trailing strokes its on the opposite side

btw if you do edge leading strokes where will the burr be ?
i know where to search when doing edge trailing strokes its on the opposite side

The burr always forms on the opposite side of the abrasive regardless of direction of travel. The burr is just a very thin layer of metal that doesn't quite get abraded away so it rolls over.

I'd just touch it up on a stone if it's getting blunt, and then strop on cardboard as @HumbleHomeCook said ^. I always strop any knife on cardboard anyway tbh.

It's probably not something to overthink. They're not massively expensive, and you could sharpen one on a paving slab and get it very useably sharp.

(I know people joke about paving slabs, but frankly you can sharpen a knife on just about any stone you ever find, paving slabs are just quite coarse usually. Though I've made some very good whetstones out of slate paving, and there are villages in the UK where paving is made out of Charnley, Idwal or Melynllyn stone. So don't write it off eh!)
Where is this magical land of sharpening stone paved streets?

Where is this magical land of sharpening stone paved streets?

Haha! May be more common that you think, particularly in Europe; many, maybe even most, of the world's natural sharpening stones were quarried alongside the far larger and more profitable business of quarrying building stones. Screenshots below nabbed from various places...

Llyn Melynllyn stones line the streets of north Wales:

Screenshot 2021-11-24 225124.png

Charnleys make nice houses for the living:

Screenshot 2021-11-24 224947.png

And Hindostans for the dead:

Screenshot 2021-11-24 224858.png

May god have mercy on your soul however, should you use the Wastikivi stone for your garden path:

Screenshot 2021-11-24 223049.png

---

And as a special bonus... this is probably the best whetstone I've found/made. I'm pretty sure it was a piece of paving slate originally:

Last edited:
any tips on how to sharpen the tip of a rounded knife such as a regular wusthof

3 questions i have been woundering about
1. it it a must to raise a burr in order to have a sharp knife?
2. on symetrical grind knifes how do you make sure you sharpen the same at both sides?
3. if you sharpened a couple of time and failed to raise a burr do you switch sides to keep the amount of sharpening on both sides the same ?

1. Yes. There can be some exceptions but that is more advanced stuff so don't worry about it. The burr is your signal that you've apexed the edge on that side and can progress to the next side.

2. Don't get hung up on counting strokes or trying to keep everything super even. This is more important in a lot of thinning but in not basic sharpening. Struggling to find the burr because you aren't sure what you're doing is going to result in a lot more material loss than understanding things and then achieving them. Once you know what you're feeling for, with most steels, achieving an apex (burr) on both sides comes pretty quickly so material loss isn't generally a big issue.

3. There are some exceptions, but again, more advanced stuff, so for right now, raise the burr before you switch. Right now, you're trying to understand what that burr feels like, the look of the angle, etc.

Focus on the basics and don't let things overcomplicate the task. If you're flustered, walk away. You'll get it.

Last edited:
If you slide a knife gently along the wetted stone, edge leading, at a very low angle so that the very edge does not yet contact the stone it will slide easily. If you then gradually lift the spine as you are sliding the knife forward, the very edge at some point will make contact with the stone and will slow down because the friction increases when the sharp edge starts to bite, and the sound will also get louder, and thats your angle. That's what I do, anyway, though I'm not an expert. I make a mental note of that angle and try to maintain that through the process, though by feel and sound you'll know you are there. After a while you'll automatically do that trick to find the edge without even realizing that's what you're doing because with practice it only takes about a second.
is this the method you are reffering to ?

It's either concrete or cement I can never remember the difference. About 25 grit or so. Leaves some pretty deep scratches.

Here are some shots of the tip I fixed on the sidewalk. I should have thought to take a before shot. I leave this knife on the station for anyone to use. Someone had dropped it tip first onto the floor. The last quarter inch was both badly chipped and bent. Ground through the damage on the sidewalk in a couple of minutes.

PXL_20211127_114947873.jpg
PXL_20211127_115001733.MP.jpg

That's pretty much the idea.
i did this method on my strong side it worked like magic on the other side my weak side (the side i find harder to sharpen ) it was very hard to find the angle with this method
do you also find it harder to find the angle on your nondominant side (when you flip overr the knife)?

i do all my sharpening with the 800 grit stone...
after i establish burr on both sides i wash the stone to remove the sludge and metal particles in order to strop on the stone to deburr
is it bad to do that is it good ?
i do that because i remember someone in the forum told me to do so i dont remember who

i have an ikea knife that is simmilar to a wusthof in the design and this thing is awfull to halve sweet potato but cutting things like cucumbers tomato potato its very good. ive sharpened it and the edge is very sharp
why is it so bad for cutting hard things like carrots sweet potatoes and butternut squash espicially for halving them (cutting them in half) also sometimes when dicing onions?
link to knife
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/GYNNSAM-Gastronomy-Guarantee-Molybdenum-Vanadium/dp/B00GUELB8U

Last edited:
i have an ikea knife that is simmilar to a wusthof in the design and this thing is awfull to halve sweet potato but cutting things like cucumbers tomato potato its very good. ive sharpened it and the edge is very sharp
why is it so bad for cutting hard things like carrots sweet potatoes and butternut squash espicially for halving them (cutting them in half) also sometimes when dicing onions?
link to knife
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/GYNNSAM-Gastronomy-Guarantee-Molybdenum-Vanadium/dp/B00GUELB8U
My guess is it's very fat behind the edge.

Reactions: ian
My guess is it's very fat behind the edge.
for doing this it feels like its stuck the tip of knife is sharp but once it gets inside the onion it gets hard to push it when it getts to the middle of the onion even more so

Latest posts

Back