Chinese fried rice..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use day old rice, like other have mentioned.

Separate yolks and white. Mix yolk with the rice thoroughly.

Heat about 2 tbsp of oil on med to med-hi. Stir-fry the white first, then add a lot of roughly chopped green onion (4 or 5 stalks for your avg leftover rice, chopped to about 5 mm.)

After the green onion is slightly wilted, add ham, pea or leftover bbq pork and increase heat to hi for a quick stir. Remove stir-fry from pan and reserve for later.

Add more oil and reduce heat to med-hi. Stir-fry the yolk mixed rice. As it cook , it will become drier and separate. The clumps will go away.

Add the eggwhite/ham mixture for a quick thorough mixing. Removed from heat.

Add a dash of soy sauce and one last mixing.

... Done :)

+1, the fried rice will outcome with a beautiful yellow color, Chinese call this "golden fried rice". you can taste egg every bite & rice won't stick together easily! avoid soy sauce, use salt, pepper, sugar & chicken stock powder for seasoning,. soy sauce will ruin nice golden color.

Heat about 2 tbsp of oil on med to med-hi. Stir-fry the white first, then add a lot of roughly chopped green onion (4 or 5 stalks for your avg leftover rice, chopped to about 5 mm.)

After the green onion is slightly wilted, add ham, pea or leftover bbq pork and increase heat to hi for a quick stir. Remove stir-fry from pan and reserve for later.

Add more oil and reduce heat to med-hi. Stir-fry the yolk mixed rice. As it cook , it will become drier and separate. The clumps will go away.

I did this and it rocked!

When I was a kid I worked in a Chinese restaurant and was always fascinated watching the cooks. For fried rice they would fill a large white bucket with steamed rice and cover it with a towel and place that in the walk-in refrigerator at night to use the next day when they made fried rice. They used MSG & Soy Sauce as the main flavoring ingredients and used the thick molasses based dark soy sauce to add a dark color to the rice. When I fix fried rice I add BBQ pork, tiny dried shrimp and finely chopped Chinese sausage which adds a lots of flavor. I have some pics somewhere of a big batch I made for a party, I will see if I can find them.

I like using my cast iron, first I use butter or cook bacon (once bacon is fried I remove and mince), frozen veggies with peas carrots corn and edamame (Costco, baby!) thrift and throw in diced onions, fry down, thrown in my rice, soy and garlic at the last moments I'll throw in an egg. Usually the rice is old but last week I was on a binge ( got wasabi mayo from trader joe's) and i found i got good results if i didnt soak my basmati rice and used it strait from the hot pot

That's a good point to separate the whites and yokes

So, not only should you use cold rice, but try laying it out , uncovered overnight, so it dries out.

The reason for using eggs is to keep the rice from popping all over the place while it fries.

The part most don't get is the "frying". Lots of fat. Let it sit and fry till you achieve crispy bits, kinda like hash browns. The soy is added at the end to rehydrate a bit.

I use black soy, as it adds a touch of sweet and sticky.

Also, try adding some fresh Hmong beans, shaved jalapeno, cilantro and lime zest just before plating to really brighten the flavors and texture.

Not traditional, but delicious.

Also, try adding some fresh Hmong beans, shaved jalapeno, cilantro and lime zest just before plating to really brighten the flavors and texture.

Not traditional, but delicious.

Not traditional at all...but sounds pretty darn good.

i like my fried rice done in a wok for that flavor, chili oil is nice too

Making some for the Chinese New Year tonight!! For any KKF members who may not know the Good Fortune grocery store opened up about a month ago in the Eden Center. It is really nice - great place for produce and seafood.

hey now!!

as a Chinese person, that has eaten about 55 gallons of fried rice..i consider myself a bit of an expert. :D

there are two schools of thought. hong kong style which has NO soy sauce. and the other kind. soy sauce.

i like to contradict the above. using hot rice makes things happen a lot faster and easier. i use whatever rice there is..but it helps to cook it a tad on the dry side. have everything ready.

lately, here is what i do.
hot oil in a skillet. (i dont wok)
two eggs..get them broken up loosely.
in goes the hot rice. get it mixed up. sometimes i let it sit to fry a bit.
in goes the meat. (spam, ham, chinese sausage..whatever meat you have. i dont use much)
in goes the veggie. (i love finely sliced chinese broc stalks..but whatever veg..even frozen peas/corn)
salt, white pepper.

when it is all hot. fresh sliced green onion..get it warmed. done.

Eggs first is the secret, supposed to help keep the rice from sticking. I toss a little bit of hon dashi in just to fish things out a bit.

Now that was damn good!! I added some edamame for more vegetables which brought the dish down - less authentic, but trying to eat a few more veggies as I get older.

This was a keeper.

the secret is having a wok and super hot oil before frying. Ginger and garlic can never go wrong

-Use a really Hot wok (get the oil to smoking point)

-Stir Fry the ingredients separately

-Don't over crowd the pan, it will cause everything to boil

-And what I think is personally important, add soy at the very end. Additionally, I don't put the soy directly on top of the ingredients but the edge of the wok so the soy can caramelize and cook out that raw bitter taste of the soy.

Soy in fried rice is a very american style fried rice. I don't think I have ever since much soy at all in fried rice from China at all. Even then usually only in very specific types of fried rice.

One of the main criteria for me to avoid a chinese restaurant like the plague is brown fried rice (from soy). If you like soy based fried rice that is fine. People in china love Panda Express too...but pretty sure no one considers it chinese food.

Couple of things for me to make good fried rice

Overnight rice. Any wet ingredients (including eggs) are used to adjust the "wetness" of your fried rice.

Very Hot Burner with seasoned wok. You can't re-produce the sear taste otherwise. (this is even more important for things like fried rice noodles)

Run oil through your wok (and empty) before adding oil just like in that video. This makes sure nothing sticks and you're actually making fried rice and not re-steaming it. Metal to rice baby!

Chicken powder is pretty much is/replacement for MSG and you'll find it in a lot of fried rice.

Egg first/later is dependent on type of fried rice. For example, egg first for egg fried rice, egg later for yang chow fried rice (you want chunks) etc.

Something a lot of ppl probably don't realize. You'll find finely chopped up lettuce in a lot of types of fried rice.

Super hot wok or skillet (turkey fryer burner or wok stove from asian market)
Lil oil swirly
2 well beaten eggs. They bloom almost immediately in rippin hot oil. Tossem till barely cooked, like 6 seconds. I takem out of the pan to a perforated bowl and choppem up in said bowl with the wok shovel.
Into the hot wok goes some chopped kimchi.
Day old rice next
msg or chicken powder optional
egg back in and toss toss toss to incorporate.
Shaved scallions on long bias
on the plate.
cold beer

Just my take. Cool versions in this thread!

Day old rice works well, but if you don't have any try the following:
Rinse your rice thoroughly. I put my rice in a strainer immersed in a bowl of water. I stir the rice by hand a few times, then lift out the rice, empty the water out of the bowl, and repeat a few times until the water stays clear. I cook the rice at a 4 to 3 water to rice ratio covered for 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave the rice in the covered pot for another 20 minutes. I then put the rice in a large flat container and fan it, turning occasionally, until cool. If you then use the rice in your fried rice it will retain it's slightly firm and chewy texture.
I cut my vegetables really small, to avoid having any big hunks of mushy vegetables in my dish. I also cut the meat small and try to avoid using too much. I start by frying the egg in the wok, then removing it, then I fry garlic and ginger in the wok, add the vegetables, then season with soy sauce and oyster sauce. If I'm adding meat I will add pre-cooked meat here. I then add the rice and finish with chopped scallions, the egg, and maybe some chopped peanuts.

i just got back from a long car camping bow hunt.

a wok + turkey fryer + rice + random ingredients = awesome camp food that is fast and a great carb loader.

Back