Chipped My Carter in Only 4 Days

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, anyway, here is the email were received:

Sorry Jason for never getting back to you, yes I had the Rockwell tested and it came out at 63.3 - 63.6 checked two places what I found really interesting was how symmetrical the center core wAs I had the back spine polished so we could see the the difference. Under a low power microscope it appeared the variation from side to side was only .006 which in my book is fantastic for not being machine manufactured.

Plus, it's just a number to Murray, probably. He simply cares if it's at it's peak metallurgical performance. But I have several of his knives, if someone wants me to scratch mine with something, I'd be perfectly happy to.:thumbsup2:

Soda Lime Glass should be scratched by a steel blade over 63 or so, it's a 6 on the mohs scale, and a steel file is 6.5, so if it passes the file test, it'll pass that glass test.

Does Murray do the file test?

No, Murray tests by shaving filings from the metal table (platen?) on his band saw. Where can I get Soda Lime Glass? Would someone be willing to send me some? I'll send it back, of course, but I don't know where to acquire this.

He shaves his bandsaw table up?! That's crazy. Murray is always one step ahead of us on MacGyvering knives.

Interesting.

So, my next question is why does Murray harden his knives to 63+ RC so they are brittle? Why not drop a point or two, and get a more stable edge? For yanagi, I understand why you can leave at that hardness, but for a gyuto? Why? White steel is not know for it's edge stability due to composition.

M

So how about testing hardness with ultrasound?

Do you have more info on it? This is in the realm of high-tech for me. I am still in mechanical age. What's next, hand-held lasers to cut food? :)

M

No in-depth info here. The guy who organized the testing of my Aritsugu A-type a while back said the laboratory could also test the hardness with ultrasound (it is a non destructive testing method) and that testing a blade with no real flats wouldn't be a problem.

Interesting.

So, my next question is why does Murray harden his knives to 63+ RC so they are brittle? Why not drop a point or two, and get a more stable edge? For yanagi, I understand why you can leave at that hardness, but for a gyuto? Why? White steel is not know for it's edge stability due to composition.

M

Do you feel his knives are brittle?

I don't believe Murray over hardens the steel at all. I think that with all of the experience that Murray has with these particular steels that he knows the limitations of each one. Since he does hand forge and hand heat treat of course there is some level of inconsistency, but that's why he tests the knives, and being able to hand sharpen each knife before it makes it's way to the customer allows him to weed out the knives that don't meet his standards.

I haven't found my Carter brittle, in the least. As I mentioned earlier, I've used it very hard, for everything from garlic, to bone in chicken. I got a tiny chip, but nothing I would ever complain about.

Brittle is not something I would describe any of my Carters. Even the "superlite" wabocho I have. This thing is 1.6mm thin at the base of the spine and it has never chipped. Twisting out avocado pits(and sometimes you really have to work them), mashing garlic, all the regular heavy stuff.

Its very safe to say that Murray knows exactly whats up.

As much as I dog Carter for his fit and finish sometimes, his knives perform like a champ. Some of the things I've seen his neck knives go through have been amazing especially if they are in deed this hard.

I agree. I have chopped up and destroyed some crazy stuff with my necker. Its like a little tank.

Even more bad that he dont want to produce Deba for me!
Im really into great blade with no visible attributes of the bling, so after passing on the Shig Deba from Marko I asked Murray about the custom 220 deba. Jason answered that debas arent available he thought due lack of time. What a shame! Please mention that to Murray :D

Sure I've seen a YouTube video with MC talking about chipping and using his clipper lighter to test flex and failure(chipping). He also talked about how the area around the chip can be useful in determing if the chip was due to the HT. On my phone at work now but will try and dig out link later.
I have 4 carters now and they are frequently my go to knives, am trying to resist getting a full size gyuto as well, put the CKTG in my basket before I talked myself out of it....

A friend of mine is the CFO of a large forging company. The have all kinds of crazy stuff for exmining steel. The next time he travels to the forge I'm invited to bring some knives for analysis. Should be interesting.

One of the things they forge are breaches for M16s.

Back