Choosing the perfect sharpening stone

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by Michi, Aug 13, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Aug 13, 2019 #1

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

This is a pretty decent overview of different types of stones for beginners:

2. Aug 13, 2019 #2

Knife2meatu

Knife2meatu

Knife2meatu

Pretty good.

Although when he gets around to explaining how he considers it a good idea to use a grit-matched nagura to clean a 12k Super Stone, I think he comes across as either incompetent, or wanting to encourage sales of expensive naguras, for whatever reason. The high-grit synth naguras make terrible cleaning stones. And expensive ones, at that.

3. Aug 13, 2019 #3

stringer

stringer

stringer

Supporting Member

I have thought about buying a few of those to try as synthetic Tomo naguras, especially with razors. But I never do. Bench stones are just bench stone sized naguras. I figure there really isn't enough difference between an 8k and a 12k to bother matching the grits, why not just rub the fine stones against each other to clean, lap, build slurry, etc.

SeattleBen and M1k3 like this.
  4. Aug 13, 2019 #4

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Same here. For synthetics, I don't think it matters all that much. I can put a nice slurry on any of my stones using an Atoma 400. For Jnats, it's probably different, but I don't have much experience with them. For what it's worth, I get a nice slurry on my Okudo Shiro Suita (around 8k-10k grit equivalent) with the Atoma.

5. Aug 13, 2019 #5

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

If so
    Depends maybe. They work. Quite well. I clean and make slurry on my 12k with a piece of 12k. Freaking amazing. I wonder why I didn't think of it myself. This is used only for razors. I saw a plus in the final edge under magnification and in sharpness, big enough to make me believe. Praise the mighty grit! More like going to a higher grit (bit of a pun). I got the idea from a buddy in Latvia, who played a lot with all kinds of set-ups.

Anyway, as a first stone, I encourage people to buy stones that have as good feedback as possible. It's very hard to learn if you can't feel what's wrong.

6. Aug 14, 2019 #6

Walla

Walla

Walla

Interesting video...l don't know if I really learned anything from watching it... but it's great basic information...I've suggested it to a couple of co-workers who've expressed interest in learning about sharpening...

Take care

Jeff

7. Aug 16, 2019 #7

Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Desert Rat

He sure is concerned with polishing.

8. Aug 17, 2019 #8

inferno

inferno

inferno

the perfect sharpening stones are the glass stones imo