Choosing the perfect sharpening stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
This is a pretty decent overview of different types of stones for beginners:

Pretty good.

Although when he gets around to explaining how he considers it a good idea to use a grit-matched nagura to clean a 12k Super Stone, I think he comes across as either incompetent, or wanting to encourage sales of expensive naguras, for whatever reason. The high-grit synth naguras make terrible cleaning stones. And expensive ones, at that.

Pretty good.

Although when he gets around to explaining how he considers it a good idea to use a grit-matched nagura to clean a 12k Super Stone, I think he comes across as either incompetent, or wanting to encourage sales of expensive naguras, for whatever reason. The high-grit synth naguras make terrible cleaning stones. And expensive ones, at that.

I have thought about buying a few of those to try as synthetic Tomo naguras, especially with razors. But I never do. Bench stones are just bench stone sized naguras. I figure there really isn't enough difference between an 8k and a 12k to bother matching the grits, why not just rub the fine stones against each other to clean, lap, build slurry, etc.

I figure there really isn't enough difference between an 8k and a 12k to bother matching the grits, why not just rub the fine stones against each other to clean, lap, build slurry, etc.
Same here. For synthetics, I don't think it matters all that much. I can put a nice slurry on any of my stones using an Atoma 400. For Jnats, it's probably different, but I don't have much experience with them. For what it's worth, I get a nice slurry on my Okudo Shiro Suita (around 8k-10k grit equivalent) with the Atoma.

If so
Pretty good.

Depends maybe. They work. Quite well. I clean and make slurry on my 12k with a piece of 12k. Freaking amazing. I wonder why I didn't think of it myself. This is used only for razors. I saw a plus in the final edge under magnification and in sharpness, big enough to make me believe. Praise the mighty grit! More like going to a higher grit (bit of a pun). I got the idea from a buddy in Latvia, who played a lot with all kinds of set-ups.

Anyway, as a first stone, I encourage people to buy stones that have as good feedback as possible. It's very hard to learn if you can't feel what's wrong.

Interesting video...l don't know if I really learned anything from watching it... but it's great basic information...I've suggested it to a couple of co-workers who've expressed interest in learning about sharpening...

Take care

Jeff

Back