Chopsticks and how to choose nicer ones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We eat off chopsticks about four days a week. We've historically just bought the 20 pack from VietWah but maybe looking for other nicer ones. How have you selected yours for those of you who use them regularly. FWIW we appear to prefer the Chinese shaped ones and really dislike Korean chopsticks. They always feel so heavy and you'd think the flatness would make it easier but it really just doesn't at all. Or at least that's what it's like for us. In any event thanks for any insight anyone has.

no nice ones at asian supermarket? I don't like the korean ones either

We have a couple pairs that Randy Haas made a few years back from koa. They work just fine, and their looks are unique.

Korean chopsticks made of metal are definitely difficult to use.

I prefer Japanese style over Chinese though. The wide/flat ends of Chinese chopsticks make picking up small items more difficult.

My wife bought some nice stainless steel metal ones, and some nice lacquered wood ones that she uses for our Asian-ish meals at home.

I don't use those. I like decent cheap bamboo chopsticks that can be cleaned enough times and then replaced with new ones if they get too furry. Not the break-apart disposable after one use kind, just good simple bamboo chopsticks. I like the feel of raw wood under my fingers, and they have a better grip on slippery food for me than smoother finishes.

I picked up 3 pairs of different shape and wood from Mark @ Burl Source back in 2014. Love them. Use the cheap disposable sticks at work and my sticks at home.

Those are prob the best chopsticks I've seen. Also one of the best/slickest makers websites full-stop. Whoever they hired did a stunning job.
Yes, nice site. But I can't find either pricing or ordering information. And no retailers Down Under, it seems :(

Yes, nice site. But I can't find either pricing or ordering information. And no retailers Down Under, it seems :(
Not uncommon. Pricing is very much a local thing. I found pricing on the authorized distributor websites. There are a couple in the US. Maybe they can ship to Australia. The one in Houston is primarily an on-line store but they just opened a B&M in the Galleria.

Wow, for those kind of prices the "ridiculously over priced" Bridge City Tool Works' Chopstick Master might be an option. It's basically a work holding device and special plane that makes cutting the facets accurately a simple task and allows you to use blanks of any type of wood to make your own chopsticks. Honestly the only challenge is getting & keeping the plane blade sharp, but that's trivial compared to a kitchen knife. (Note there's nothing you couldn't do with regular woodworking tools and a lot of setup, hence the "ridiculously over priced" stigma.)

Here's the designer's BLOG Post about the public introduction. I love the quote: “Giant white guy came to China to teach us chopstick making. THANK YOU!”. There is other info on that site too.

Latest posts

Back