Chosera 2k and Naniwa Pro 2k compared

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got the NP2k while I still have the Chosera. A few very first impressions.
Have often described the Chosera 2k as quite aggressive. Very fast. Feeling very different from the silky NP3k.
Well, the NP2k is closer to the NP3k as far as the feeling is concerned. Not sure if the grit has changed. The pattern it leaves looks the same as with the Chosera. But with the Chosera I had to do quite an effort to accomplish a full deburring. As if even with the lightest stroke not only the burr got abraded, but a new one appeared as well. Not so with the NP. I could easily get the slightly problematic 1.2519 carbon steel fully deburred where I used to add a few strokes on another stone with the Chosera.
So, with the NP2k and 3k looking more the same, the question rises if it makes sense to have both of them. Not so much, I guess. In a lot of cases the NP2k can be your last stone in a progression.

Then there seems to be a difference between the Chosera and the Professionells ?! It would be perfect if you were to compare a Naniwa Gouken Arata 2000 with the two.

The Naniwa Gouken Arata are supposed to be the next evolution of the Chosera's.

With the Chosera and NP400 and 800, I found the NPs denser, even less subject to dishing, and slightly more likely to glaze than the Choseras.
Never heard of the Naniwa Gouken Arata. Japanese market only, perhaps?

Helpful comparison that, albeit it makes it slightly more difficult to justify not buying the 3k NP on top of my Chosera 2k

I’m confused by the new Aratas. From the look of it the Gouken (Baby) Aratas are basically cut down Choseras (15mm compared to 25mm), supplied without a base and nagura. And more confusingly the Gouken Kagayaki is thinner again (10mm) and doesn’t look to come with the combined base/box of the thicker baby Arata

Helpful comparison that, albeit it makes it slightly more difficult to justify not buying the 3k NP on top of my Chosera 2k

I’m confused by the new Aratas. From the look of it the Gouken (Baby) Aratas are basically cut down Choseras (15mm compared to 25mm), supplied without a base and nagura. And more confusingly the Gouken Kagayaki is thinner again (10mm) and doesn’t look to come with the combined base/box of the thicker baby Arata

I have a Kagayaki 3k 10mm, and it *did* come with the base/box.

The base/box is my favourite thing about it.

You can understand my (feigned) confusion now? I honestly have no real idea why four thicknesses of the same stones would be particularly necessary (and have the nagging feeling that I must be missing something)

And what’s all this baby nonsense anyhow?

Back