Chosera 2k vs Aotoishi green brick of joy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarrod12345

Reaction score
G’day everybody,

Am wondering if anybody has any thoughts or opinions between the naniwa Chosera 2k and the naniwa aotoishi green brick of joy.

Comparing these stones for thinning progression, polishing, sharpening etc. I hear amazing things about both stones. The green brick is a bit cheaper and is a HUGE stone. Just wondering if anybody has any first hand experience.

Thanks!

I never really got along with my Green Brick.

I really liked the Chosera when I tried it, but it was once long ago. Prior to being rebranded to NPro. I hear they are harder now too?

i own a 2k chosera, its different from the 800 and 3k. the 2k is quite muddy and softer, quite good for polishing as well.

i own a 2k chosera, its different from the 800 and 3k. the 2k is quite muddy and softer, quite good for polishing as well.
Did your Chosera undergo a soaking, by accident, perhaps? It certainly delivers easily mud, and so do the others as well, but I wouldn't call it softer.
It may work for polishing if you decide to raise a lot of mud. That's a choice. Just as with the 800 and 3k.
Anyway, if it describes the Chosera, it certainly does not apply to the Naniwa Pro, which seems even harder, even less dishing, and strangely slightly less aggressive in the first contact than the Chosera.

Reactions: Pie
Did your Chosera undergo a soaking, by accident, perhaps? It certainly delivers easily mud, and so do the others as well, but I wouldn't call it softer.
It may work for polishing if you decide to raise a lot of mud. That's a choice. Just as with the 800 and 3k.
Anyway, if it describes the Chosera, it certainly does not apply to the Naniwa Pro, which seems even harder, even less dishing, and strangely slightly less aggressive in the first contact than the Chosera.
I usually rinse my chosera stones under tap for a couple of seconds. No soaking.

Agree its not a “soft” stone like suehiro stuff but softer compared to the 3k and the 800. It’s generates lots of mud fairly quick.

I find the 3k fairly hard to use for polishing, getting shiny lines all over the cladding. Much prefer jnats but i find the 2k chosera to be a decent quick solution.

Very good stone for edge touch up as well.

I usually rinse my chosera stones under tap for a couple of seconds. No soaking.

Agree its not a “soft” stone like suehiro stuff but softer compared to the 3k and the 800. It’s generates lots of mud fairly quick.

I find the 3k fairly hard to use for polishing, getting shiny lines all over the cladding. Much prefer jnats but i find the 2k chosera to be a decent quick solution.

Very good stone for edge touch up as well.
I see, makes sense.

Honestly I think the chosera is the better choice if you are using it in a polishing progression. the green brick is a bit odd. Don't get me wrong I love mine. but for one. Its gives me more like a 4 or 5k finish, than a 2k. 2 it is a bit odd as far as texture, it's not very friable (meaning it doesn't let go of abrasive like you would like a polishing stone too), but it's not a hard stone at all, fairly soft kind of. 3 the abrasive in it seems to be varied in size, which imo makes it great for edges, but makes polishing a challenge.

I don't have experience with the 2k chosera, but I hope this helps.

Both the Chosera and the Naniwa Pro 2k are great stones, but only in a progression. Although the final result is in the JIS3k range, it doesn't work well as a final stone, even with stainless. For the last deburring, you want a clean stone, but the fresh abrasives are too aggressive to remove burr remnants without creating a new burr, even with the lightest touch. A Shapton Pro 2k, even when much coarser, works better in that respect. Or the Suehiro Ouka, which is a true 3k, but a soaker.

Does Naniwa make the green brick in a smaller size? Maybe a JDM version like the gouken series for the chosera and superstones?

Does Naniwa make the green brick in a smaller size? Maybe a JDM version like the gouken series for the chosera and superstones?
Then it would just be the green stone of joy. And that doesn't have the same feel to it.

No experience with 2K Chosera but I am not a big fan of the green brick at all. The choseras/pro I tried, 800 and 400, are both good in their own right.

No experience with 2K Chosera but I am not a big fan of the green brick at all. The choseras/pro I tried, 800 and 400, are both good in their own right.
Give Chosera 400 + Green Brick a chance, this combination creates a f***ing good edge

I haven't tried my Green Brick of Joy yet, but I do have a well used blue synthetic aoto that I like, aside from having to glue it together a couple times. No longer gets soaked, that seems to cause it to fracture.

Anyway, at the least the blue works well for kitchen knives and plane blades. Often the finish stone for knives with a strop on hardwood charged with chrominum oxide. This seems to give me very sharp edges that last a while with enough tooth thinks like tomatoes and slicing citrus for marmalage are easy. Works will with a finish on a 6k stone (usually my cheapo King) and then stropping too.

For polishing, I don't think the green brick of joy is the way to go, it's like both synthetic and natural aotos in that it has mixed grit size with some of it breaking down to finer grit in the mud. Great for knives, but it leaves a hazy finish you may or may not want from the coarser particles.

I'm not sure I'd use it for razors either, haven't tried that either.

Latest posts

Back