Chromax

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a takamura chromax on the way so I'm sure I'll find out some enough, but I'm curious about people's experiences with chromax in the meantime. Definitely doesn't seem like a widely used steel and info online is very limited. In a couple of places, I've seen it described as semi-stainless but feeling/performing/sharpening like aogami 2 or aogami super.

Normally I just rely on zknives but Mr. Z doesnt seem to have a post about chromax.

Thanks in advance for any info, pics etc 🤘

Last edited:
@M1k3 has the answers.
I am under the impression that Chromax is or at least is fairly similar to A2 which is a widely used steel, but don't take that to the bank.

Yeah I guess its composition is pretty similar. I've seen chromax listed as:

C 1.0
Cr 5.0
Mn 0.9
Mo 1.2
V 0.5

And A2 seems to be:

C 1.0
Cr 5.0
Mn 1.0
Mo 1.0
V 0.15 - 0.5
Ni 0.30
(Plus trace amounts of silicon, phosphorus, copper, and sulpher)

So basically a purer A2 with typically more vanadium but no nitrogen?

Not that I'd be able to tell the difference 🤣

It’s stainless clad V-Gin1 per Takefu:
http://www.e-tokko.com/v_silve_1.php?lang=en
which according to the composition is the same as Masashi VS1. That probably stands for V Silver. Which is within the range for the A2=SKD12 specification. So it is a widely used steel but everyone has a different name for it!

As for the knife itself I’ve given a few as gifts and used them a handful of times. I prefer the steel over R2 but I’m not big on stainless in general; I prefer the Takamura Pro over this one despite the steel but the Pro is twice as expensive on a good day. I’d say the implementation of the steel is just as good as Masashi while Yoshikane is a tad better but Yoshi SKD is like my favorite ever along with Heiji and Gengetsu SS. Yoshikane is a bit heftier though while Takamura is a super laser, which necessarily affects edge retention. I’d say you picked a good one!

It’s stainless clad V-Gin1 per Takefu:
http://www.e-tokko.com/v_silve_1.php?lang=en
which according to the composition is the same as Masashi VS1. That probably stands for V Silver. Which is within the range for the A2=SKD12 specification. So it is a widely used steel but everyone has a different name for it!

As for the knife itself I’ve given a few as gifts and used them a handful of times. I prefer the steel over R2 but I’m not big on stainless in general; I prefer the Takamura Pro over this one despite the steel but the Pro is twice as expensive on a good day. I’d say the implementation of the steel is just as good as Masashi while Yoshikane is a tad better but Yoshi SKD is like my favorite ever along with Heiji and Gengetsu SS. Yoshikane is a bit heftier though while Takamura is a super laser, which necessarily affects edge retention. I’d say you picked a good one!

Cool mystery solved, thanks! And yeah I've had my eye on the takamura pro for a long time but they never seem to restock at mtckitchen. And they are, as you mentioned, very expensive.

And since you have experience with the takamura pro: how would you compare it to the r2 line? Is it just the same knife with forge welded bolster and full tang? Or does it have a different stock, grind, profile, etc?

I've got a takamura chromax on the way so I'm sure I'll find out some enough, but I'm curious about people's experiences with chromax in the meantime. Definitely doesn't seem like a widely used steel and info online is very limited. In a couple of places, I've seen it described as semi-stainless but feeling/performing/sharpening like aogami 2 or aogami super.
Normally I just rely on zknives but Mr. Z doesnt seem to have a post about chromax.
Thanks in advance for any info, pics etc 🤘

CHROMAX is a Takefu Specialty Steel product, considered a semi-stainless.
It is usually V銀1号 ie; V Silver 1 core with SUS410S cladding.
But the term "Chromax" can apply to the core also being V Silver 2 or V Silver 3B.
In addition to cutlery it is also used for some farm tools (Kama).

V silver 1

0.95-1.05​

4.50-5.50​

0.80-1.20​

0.20-0.50​

HRC61 or above​

Silver 2

0.85-0.95​

7.00-8.00​

— —​

— —​

HRC62 or above​

V silver 3B

0.80-0.90​

6.00-7.00​

0.70-0.90​

0.30-0.50​

HRC62 or above​

Supposedly the cladding on the Pro is a different stainless than the red handle R2 that is more resistant to scratching. Also it’s distally tapered instead of a uniformly thin laser, lemme see if I have the pics from when I sold mine:

Aw nuts I don’t have a spine and choil shot. But it was more like a thinner Yoshikane rather than a heftier Takamura R2 if I’m remembering correctly how I rotated my kit. Still very laserish especially towards the tip - the thicker heel gave it different balance and made chopping herbs with it a more reasonable proposition.

edit: thanks for the additional info Ken!

V-gin1, SKD-12 (commonly referred to as SKD), SCD are all variations of A2. Ever so slight minor differences that we wouldn't really be able to tell in use.

Supposedly the cladding on the Pro is a different stainless than the red handle R2 that is more resistant to scratching. Also it’s distally tapered instead of a uniformly thin laser, lemme see if I have the pics from when I sold mine:

Aw nuts I don’t have a spine and choil shot. But it was more like a thinner Yoshikane rather than a heftier Takamura R2 if I’m remembering correctly how I rotated my kit. Still very laserish especially towards the tip - the thicker heel gave it different balance and made chopping herbs with it a more reasonable proposition.

edit: thanks for the additional info Ken!

So like a western handled sanjo mid-weight? uh oh . . . i might have to get one . . .

No, thinner and lighter than that - like a laser with some taper, i.e. a booty
People finding these discussions in 2150 and reading about booty lasers are going to be really confused. 🙃

I guess I should be glad you didn't call them "junk in the trunk but nothing up front" 🤪

Last edited:
I’ve had a Takamura chromax for awhile (santoku… gyuto wasn’t available at the time). Reminds me of the red handle R2 overall, but has a different colour handle and tsuchime stainless cladding. It’s semi stainless (I’ve gotten a couple corrosion spots on the core but very minor)

I’ve had a Takamura chromax for awhile (santoku… gyuto wasn’t available at the time). Reminds me of the red handle R2 overall, but has a different colour handle and tsuchime stainless cladding. It’s semi stainless (I’ve gotten a couple corrosion spots on the core but very minor)

Cool. And you had the Pro for a while too right? What'd you think of the knife compared to the r2/chromax?

I find the Takamura Chromax (only had the one) similar to the red handled R2 but more durable. I think it's due to the overall thinness of the R2 which microchipped readily when my wife started rock chopping with them. Easy fix in the end but scared me initially. A micro bevel will do wonders to make the R2 more resilient. The Chromax has been in my kitchen for a while now and performs well above its price range. Not fully stainless like the R2s - slowly develops a light patina near the edge. I remain an R2 fanboy but never tried a Takamura Pro (never even seen one in Oz) but the Uchigumos are in a class of their own.

Cool. And you had the Pro for a while too right? What'd you think of the knife compared to the r2/chromax?

Yes, sold the pro set since I also have uchigumo. Pro are thicker than the R2/chromax, more like the uchigumo; the red handle R2, chromax, vg10 are more alike each other for thickness, construction, etc (except edge retention on the vg10 isn’t as good, but the geometry keeps it usable for awhile).

Old family photo below, pro set is sold, also have a red R2 petty now and the uchigumo gyuto has been Re-rehandled:
A536D69E-1D25-46D9-975D-9C8484BECDC0.jpeg

Yes, sold the pro set since I also have uchigumo. Pro are thicker than the R2/chromax, more like the uchigumo; the red handle R2, chromax, vg10 are more alike each other for thickness, construction, etc (except edge retention on the vg10 isn’t as good, but the geometry keeps it usable for awhile).

Old family photo below, pro set is sold, also have a red R2 petty now and the uchigumo gyuto has been Re-rehandled:
View attachment 111245

Beautiful. Is that the 180 r2 on the bottom and are the petties 130?

View attachment 111245

Hey Tanner can you verify if the two petties on the left are 130mm? Trying to decide between 130 and 150 and looking for some comparative perspective with what I assume are the 270 sujis, 240 gyutos, and a 180 gyuto on the left?

And is that a 170 santoku and 150 petty on the right?

Thanks sir!

Hey Tanner can you verify if the two petties on the left are 130mm? Trying to decide between 130 and 150 and looking for some comparative perspective with what I assume are the 270 sujis, 240 gyutos, and a 180 gyuto on the left?

And is that a 170 santoku and 150 petty on the right?

Thanks sir!
Hey yes, sorry I put the 👍 on the previous post to acknowledge that pettys are 130mm and R2 gyuto is 180mm.

sujis are 270mm and other gyutos are 240mm. Petty on the right is also 130mm and santoku is 165 or 180mm (can’t recall, but I think toward the lower end?)

Back