Chukabocho options...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well it was only at the top of the list :)

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/920488/pid/2465523/post/last/m/1/#LAST

that would be a killer deal. He originally wanted $500, which was too much IMHO, $400-450 is a more fair price depending on condition, $350 OBO is a steal.

I feel a little foolish. I misread that prior post, and thought it was referring to the B/S/T of this here forum. And I subsequently missed my chance, by mere minutes no less:( I keep finding these cheap takeda's a little too late. Which now makes me question why everyone's selling their takeda's... Or maybe I'm just so focused on his stuff that I'm noticing it more so than other makers?

The sujimoto is starting to sound pretty good. Can somebody here describe the steel some? Ive read about how nice the taper is but how reactive is the steel? Anybody know what steel is used? My only gripe with blue steel is the ugly orange brown patina it can develop, is the sujimoto closer to white steel? Edge retention? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the sugimoto is cladded white 2 (with the obvious exception of the CM cleaver). I used my #6 as a line and prep knife for months. Personally, I found it to be quite reactive until I had a patina formed, still needs to be wiped regularly so I generally keep a damp cloth beside my section for wiping it clean every now and again. I used mine for pretty much everything and it formed a fairly even, dark gray patina, similar to some of the pics I've seen on the masamoto KS gyuto. I don't have any good pics of mine (some in the gallery section, but crap quality), but here's one of Andy's:
scaled.php

In regards to performance. Get's super sharp, retention is nothing special but that's pretty standard for white 2. I'm not using it at the moment, but in my last job when it was my go to knife, I was probably touching up every 3-4 days, but I was cutting a lot of onions, lemons, chili, garlic etc. There's probably better options out there, steel wise, but the overall feel of the sugimoto is just great; handle, profile, taper etc. I love mine.

Cheers,
Josh

Back