Chukabocho - Sugimoto 6 vs Ginga

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

labor of love

Reaction score
I was really happy w ginga cleaver for the price. The F&F is pretty superior to anything else at the price.

Id love to go big baller and get a Watanabe cleaver but it’s hard to justify.

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I tried to look up the brand but it didn’t show up anywhere else - lots of results for Tanaka though came up and now that they mention it it does sort of look like one of his

labor of love

Reaction score
You gotta buy it and tell us all about it. Would be nice if more pics were available.

SeattleBen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Size of kanji compared to blade looks a bit more like a large nakiri than a cleaver proper.

labor of love

Reaction score
Whenever you search “cleaver” on the site it pops up.
Yeah, more info is needed.

dsk

Reaction score
I'm totally buying one of these

SeattleBen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't argue with that sizing @Xenif I'm pretty happy at home with things of about that size but if I thought I was getting a properly sized chuka I might be pretty hot.

Xenif

Reaction score
I wouldn't argue with that sizing @Xenif I'm pretty happy at home with things of about that size but if I thought I was getting a properly sized chuka I might be pretty hot.
Yeah I actually prefer that size for home use over something like a 1301 CCK

Robert Lavacca

Reaction score
I would be all over an ashi if it were me. That Tanaka looks pretty cool though. I’m more of a large nakiri guy than cleaver if I’m using something in that shape. For that price wouldn’t hurt to give it a shot though. I’m sure someone would scoop it off you if you don’t like it.

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought the Tanaka, yeah that was one of my concerns — no measurements so it might be a small one, maybe Sugimoto CM4030 size. I still want a full size 220x110 or similar though. I’ve been using my CCK a lot recently, which is why I’m looking for more, but I’m not sure enough that I’m a cleaver guy to get something like a Wat, Heiji, Saji, etc.

dsk

Reaction score
Bought the Tanaka, yeah that was one of my concerns — no measurements so it might be a small one, maybe Sugimoto CM4030 size. I still want a full size 220x110 or similar though. I’ve been using my CCK a lot recently, which is why I’m looking for more, but I’m not sure enough that I’m a cleaver guy to get something like a Wat, Heiji, Saji, etc.
Well if you dont end up liking it I'll probably take it off your hands.

TRPV4

Reaction score
what a find! Indeed a Tanaka - 紅秀之作. Do post specs and sizing when you receive it. 160USD never seen a “chuka” at that price

bruce8088

Reaction score
the neck is kind of long on that tanaka, i would say the sugimoto is the better buy.

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the Ginga too. And if I like it probably the Sugimoto will follow, maybe in a #7 size

Noodle Soup

Reaction score
The Sugimoto No.7 is a beast but I use mine a couple of times a week for mincing fish, poultry and pork very fine for various dishes. Its not a good general purpose knife but its great for certain things that require a heavy blade.

minibatataman

Reaction score
I need a knife that is tall, thin, and stainless, I was thinking maybe a cleaver would make sense so I'd really wanna know how you find that Tanaka G3 @GorillaGrunt ;)

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loving the Ginga. Tanaka just got here today and I am surprised.

It’s definitely a S. Tanaka, full size 220x110. Not thin at all though, not ground like a Tanaka or actually any Chinese style cleaver I’ve seen. 660g and more like a Sabatier butcher cleaver. So I’m not sure if it’s a butcher cleaver, a heavy mincing knife or what but it’s certainly not an all purpose slicing knife. I’m going to see what uses I can find for it and consider having it drastically thinned by my local knifemaker; I’ve undertaken a few projects with stones that could have been more suited to a belt grinder but this one is definitely a no-go!

2239BC32-EE1B-4847-B67B-B375139852CB.jpeg
621C8315-FB49-40D4-BFF7-D3F4131983D9.jpeg

dsk

Reaction score
Interesting, didnt expect full size or a thick grind. Glad I bit the bullet on the long customs wait on a cck instead.

MowgFace

Reaction score
Hideyuki is Shigeki's younger brother if im not mistaken. I have a Hideyuki 180 Gyuto.

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turns out to be a heck of a line knife. Of course I have a big station though