Chukabocho - Sugimoto 6 vs Ginga

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really happy w ginga cleaver for the price. The F&F is pretty superior to anything else at the price.

Id love to go big baller and get a Watanabe cleaver but it’s hard to justify.

Yeah I tried to look up the brand but it didn’t show up anywhere else - lots of results for Tanaka though came up and now that they mention it it does sort of look like one of his

I'm totally buying one of these

I wouldn't argue with that sizing @Xenif I'm pretty happy at home with things of about that size but if I thought I was getting a properly sized chuka I might be pretty hot.
Yeah I actually prefer that size for home use over something like a 1301 CCK

I would be all over an ashi if it were me. That Tanaka looks pretty cool though. I’m more of a large nakiri guy than cleaver if I’m using something in that shape. For that price wouldn’t hurt to give it a shot though. I’m sure someone would scoop it off you if you don’t like it.

Bought the Tanaka, yeah that was one of my concerns — no measurements so it might be a small one, maybe Sugimoto CM4030 size. I still want a full size 220x110 or similar though. I’ve been using my CCK a lot recently, which is why I’m looking for more, but I’m not sure enough that I’m a cleaver guy to get something like a Wat, Heiji, Saji, etc.

Bought the Tanaka, yeah that was one of my concerns — no measurements so it might be a small one, maybe Sugimoto CM4030 size. I still want a full size 220x110 or similar though. I’ve been using my CCK a lot recently, which is why I’m looking for more, but I’m not sure enough that I’m a cleaver guy to get something like a Wat, Heiji, Saji, etc.

Well if you dont end up liking it I'll probably take it off your hands.

what a find! Indeed a Tanaka - 紅秀之作. Do post specs and sizing when you receive it. 160USD never seen a “chuka” at that price

the neck is kind of long on that tanaka, i would say the sugimoto is the better buy.

The Sugimoto No.7 is a beast but I use mine a couple of times a week for mincing fish, poultry and pork very fine for various dishes. Its not a good general purpose knife but its great for certain things that require a heavy blade.

Loving the Ginga. Tanaka just got here today and I am surprised.

It’s definitely a S. Tanaka, full size 220x110. Not thin at all though, not ground like a Tanaka or actually any Chinese style cleaver I’ve seen. 660g and more like a Sabatier butcher cleaver. So I’m not sure if it’s a butcher cleaver, a heavy mincing knife or what but it’s certainly not an all purpose slicing knife. I’m going to see what uses I can find for it and consider having it drastically thinned by my local knifemaker; I’ve undertaken a few projects with stones that could have been more suited to a belt grinder but this one is definitely a no-go!

2239BC32-EE1B-4847-B67B-B375139852CB.jpeg
621C8315-FB49-40D4-BFF7-D3F4131983D9.jpeg

Interesting, didnt expect full size or a thick grind. Glad I bit the bullet on the long customs wait on a cck instead.

Hideyuki is Shigeki's younger brother if im not mistaken. I have a Hideyuki 180 Gyuto.

Back