Cinnamon rasin bread (molassas based)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Well this is a treat that I seldom get time to make. With Christmas so close, my wife and girls requested this so here are the early pics. I'll post more of the loaves after baking.
The recipe is an old family one that has molassas, brown sugar, shortning, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, and sultana rasins. It is amazing warm from the oven, or toasted and buttered. Waking up to the smell of it in the toaster as a kid always made my mouth water. Now I enjoy it for breakfast with a glass of juice, or as a treat/bedtime snack.
All the liquid and other ingredients are blended first, and flour added til a medium firm ball is acheived. Its allowed to rise, then put in pans, and allowed to rise again before baking. A labour of love, but its worth it. I don't have a fancy machine to kneed it, so its all hand power.

Wish we had Smell-a-vision! Hey Dave, ya wanna get on that? Thanks! :waiting:
IMG_3870.jpgIMG_3871.jpgIMG_3872.jpgIMG_3873.jpg

That looks incredible. I like the 3 ball ones you did, they turned out really well.

Where's the recipe? :eyebrow:

Its on the cutting board! Third picture in the first post! :D

When I get a few minutes, I'll put it up.

Looks very good, Pierre!

I make whole wheat brioche cinnamon buns, as a treat.

Randy, you have no idea how good this stuff is...

As promised, but if you try it, you have to tell me how you like it!

Cream together:
1/2 Cup shortning
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 egg

Add:
1 Cup molassas (Fancy Molassas)

Soak:
1 pkg of sultana rasins in 4 cups of boiling water until cool enough to add to yeast
2 pkgs (or 2 tbsp) instant yeast in 1 cup warm water, with 1 TBSP sugar
Add to above ingredients

Add:
1 1/2 TSP cinnamon
1 1/2 TBSP salt
1 tsp vanilla (the good stuff, not the artifical crap!)

Add flour to make a medium firm dough (press you finger in, and it springs right back)
Form into a ball, cover, place in a warm place, let rise till double in size.
Knock down, cut, form into loaves, and place into greased bread pans (I use Pam)

Let rise. Bake in preheated oven at 345* for 30 to 35 minutes.

For a soft crust, brush with evaporated milk as soon as it's out of the pans. Let rest until cool. ( Or cut off a big honkin slice and butter while its still warm!)

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!!

Back