clad carbon bunka time

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsk

Reaction score
I decided it's time to try out a stainless clad carbon blade, as all my current and past knives have been stainless. I don't have a bunka in my collection so I should kill two birds with one stone. I've narrowed the field to the following, but was curious what else might fit my criteria. (middleweight, tall spine to heel, stainless clad)

1. Kochi stainless clad K-santoku 180mm: the obvious choice, but also more expensive than I care to spend on carbon I may or may not take to. Its the only one I've found other than Takeda NAS that's in excess of 55mm height. People gush over the steel used here, but I think I'd rather go with a less reactive blue or AS first, but this one does hold the most sex appeal.

2. Syousin Chiku Kurosaki 180mm: next best bet, still relatively tall around 50mm. Was always interested in a Kurosaki, it might not have the bling of the R2 shizuku finish, but I like it overall aesthetically.

3. Anryu hammered blue#2: least expensive option, my understanding is this line is quite good bang for your buck, a bit less length and shorter than I would like, but at a lower price range it seems like a good first carbon choice.

4. Yoshimitsu blue#2: same scenario as Anryu. Don't know much about this other than below average fnf but if the steel and profile is good I don't mind.

edit* The wakui nashiji santoku on Aframes might actually be the ticket. It ain't a bunka but its got height and a great price.

Last edited:
Of the ones you mention, the first and last will be strong performers. Kochi uses a slightly different steel, if I am remembering correctly, but anything you get from Jon is solid.

BUT, I like the Nashiji look, fwiw.

Of the ones you mention, the first and last will be strong performers. Kochi uses a slightly different steel, if I am remembering correctly, but anything you get from Jon is solid.

BUT, I like the Nashiji look, fwiw.

yeah pretty sure he's written stainless clad kochi is white #2?

yeah pretty sure he's written stainless clad kochi is white #2?

Oh, that’s possible. I think some of the line is a diff steel. But you’re going to get a great knife either way. Jon’s knives are usually made to some personal specs, I believe, and will have some extra love given to f&f.

Anryu makes a very stout and well finished knife, I have a Santoku in White #2 and it is a fine piece of workmanship. Seems to be a slightly underrated Smithy for some reason but I would happily buy another blade from him when I am in the market for more equipment.

The B2 Anryu bunka is in heavy rotation at our house. It's the knife on the block that my wife and I use for just about every small kitchen task. It took a bit of getting used to, as the profile has a lot of curve to it (and I wasn't used to that). But it is perhaps the best bang-for-the-buck knife I've purchased, and I've bought a lot of knives. For the price, it's definitely worth checking out -- especially if you're already inclined to try one.

Thanks all for the feedback. Went back and forth between all the options, including going wakui migaki 210mm, ultimately I chose a semi k-tip santoku shiro kamo blue 2 from cleancut. This'll be my first KU full carbon knife, should be interesting.

Latest posts

Back