Cleaning rubber chopping boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLaz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask for some wisdom on cleaning boards.

I recently was handed over a hasegawa hi soft cutting board from japan. Its Its amazing but one side has some black specs on it. Looks like charcoal. I tried bleach and hot water on it scrubbing with foam, scotchbrite and my finger nail. Most of it went out but some still remain.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendation. I have the soft cutting board with wood inside and im a bit worried that scrapping the top layer might wear it down. I have the impression that the scrapper is meant for the solid plastic boards?

Ill try the lime juice and salt tip tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

We soaked them in 50ppm bleach solution overnight, then a good scrub with ss scrubbie

Rust erasers work surprisingly well, depending in the situation. We get Sharpie tattoos from product that get placed label-side down, which used to be obnoxious until this hack presented itself. May be worth a shot.

Already mentioned bleach solution works too but maybe no need to soak- try covering the board overnight with saturated towels. Clean the board completely then use your bleach dilution to coat. Proceed to cover the entire surface with un-wrung, bleach-drenched kitchen towels and leave overnight.

Bleach is risky. Absolutely it works and I used to continuously clean my cutting boards until I read an article about how unsafe it is in our clothes, our cutting boards. (Plastic…just think how it is absorbed) I suggest you purchase a new one. It’s healthier.

Rust erasers work surprisingly well, depending in the situation. We get Sharpie tattoos from product that get placed label-side down, which used to be obnoxious until this hack presented itself. May be worth a shot.

Already mentioned bleach solution works too but maybe no need to soak- try covering the board overnight with saturated towels. Clean the board completely then use your bleach dilution to coat. Proceed to cover the entire surface with un-wrung, bleach-drenched kitchen towels and leave overnight.

This is what we do. We also sand ours down when they get too dished out.

Back