Cleaning rust/reactivity off a Masaki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy

Reaction score
I know someone here can help…How can I clean rust off my Masaki knife without a rust eraser?

Is it done by ultra fine grades of sandpaper or wet and dry? if it is what grade(s)

I can sharpen perfectly fine… but something like this is new to me and I don’t want to ruin my knife too.

much appreciated!

Way I do it on things like that (I have a super reactive Maz too) is: a thick paste made from lots of bicarb and just a little bit of water, then rub it around with a sponge. Toothpaste would probably work equally well tbh. Or Flitz or autosol as Mike said, though they might be called something different here. Lots of things will work, but I wouldn't go to a rust eraser or sandpaper straight off the bat as they'll leave more scratch pattern.

Also - try to do it as little as possible otherwise it'll just get cyclical... if you take it to shiny clean again the same thing will happen over and over. Just lightly get rid of any brown, and keep building patina, after a while you won't get any brown forming, and then all good :).

Bar Keepers Friend has worked for me in the past if you have some available

Thanks.

ive just seen some polishing paste on K&S too.

Will post results in the coming days.

Bon chance!

Though before you go buying anything unnecessarily - you will have a load of stuff at home that'll do it fine. Bicarb (baking soda) paste, bit of toothpaste on a brush, squeeze some lemon juice onto a sponge and rub it, almost anything tbh.

To remove rust without any scratch, maybe try molasses...I never try it since I heard about this very recently but it's not a joke even if it sounds like one.

Yea bar keeper's friend works great. Just make sure to use almost no pressure, and follow the direction of the grind for aesthetics. But Mazaki stock grinds are pretty rough anyways, so it shouldnt make a difference.

When I sharpen I often use chromium oxide on a damp cloth to clean up rust. Never messes with the finish. I guess effectiveness would depend on the level of rust you've got.

Bon chance!

Though before you go buying anything unnecessarily - you will have a load of stuff at home that'll do it fine. Bicarb (baking soda) paste, bit of toothpaste on a brush, squeeze some lemon juice onto a sponge and rub it, almost anything tbh.

Lemon juice works very well. The real kicker is you can use it on the KU, as it’s not abrasive. I find Mazaki’s nashiji ku is sometimes patchy near the shinogi, nakiri especially, and those spots get pretty brown if left unattended.

Back