cleaning sand out of clams

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
I've read of soaking them in water, salt water, water with pepper, water with cornmeal.

Just wondering if anyone has a best method they've found?

we always jsut let them in plain water for a wjile and they spit jsut fine
if you want to shuck them easy way is put them inn the freezer over night when they thaw back out they open right up (make sure they are all ok before freezing as a dead clam is no good for you)

My new girlfriend never has that problem .

OH ! OH!

THEN YES CORNMEAL.

Multiple soaks in water works (Thomas Keller calls for 3 in his recipes for what it's worth).

Plain water. Just don't let saltwater clams soak too long in the water or they'll die.

Plain water. Just don't let saltwater clams soak too long in the water or they'll die.

Many years ago, I killed a few lobsters that way. Not sure what I was thinking...

Stefan

What's the cornmeal technique and will it work with Mussels?

There's nothing worse than having sand in your clam. :shots:

Corn meal works but I think it also gives the clams a bad texture. Cold water running over stainless steel works. So does makeing the water alkaline by adding baking soda or cream of tartar.

Corn meal works but I think it also gives the clams a bad texture. Cold water running over stainless steel works. So does makeing the water alkaline by adding baking soda or cream of tartar.

How long do you run them for?

What if you want to wash them and then use them throughout the day, steaming to order. Does soaking them or leaving them under fresh running water decrease how long they will stay alive?

We would hang them in a milk crate off our dock for a few days.

Back