Cleaning up sharpening gunk

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What really clogs it is fats and lipids which solidify, yea? Is it really all that toxic, though? I mean, compared to bleach and dish soap?

At home I sharpen after clearing the sink... Then I use the sludge and sponge to give it a custom polish, since it's steel ;)

That way I can save my precious BKF for scrubbing my teeth ;)
(And pots n pans)

What really clogs it is fats and lipids which solidify, yea?

You'd be amazed what some people flush. Apart from all the crazy stuff - people put 'flushable' wipes down the toilet. Sure they 'flush'... but they dont break down like toilet paper - so now you have a really long catch point for fats and lipids to solidify around. This can cost sewerage treatment facilities lots of money in breaking up blockages (both in the city pipes and at the plant). If you are flushing 'flushable' wipes down the toilet you are an evil person... there.... i said it!

Is it really all that toxic, though? I mean, compared to bleach and dish soap?

Nah... I am sure not. I just try to use plumbing under the principle that minimising crap going into the system is better for sewerage treatment processes and for the environment. I wipe up the thick slurry (less than I should), put it in the bin and rinse the rest.

for scrubbing my teeth

:D <- pearly whites like this guy!

I use the pumice soap myself. A heavy exfoliating one from whole foods and a nail brush. If i’m doing normal sharpening I won’t wear gloves. Like you said, they just rip. If i’m thinning i wear gloves because they don’t rip as much when just thinning. I use the nail brush on my skin as well. I always keep my nails short as well like panda said.

No problem using a Worksharp. Soap and water works great.

If I am going to sharpen a lot of knives I do it outside so I don't have grit in the house.

I’m using 3m micropore paper surgical tape to wrap around my fingers tip to prevent skin abrasion. One time I’m doing thinning I had cuts all over my finger, just worried if there’s any health hazzard of the silica and any chemicals from the whetstone entering via open wound.

This paper tape is quite tough and the glue isn’t so sticky on your skin unlike the cloth bandage tape which is good. I only wrap my index and middle fingers where I pushed the blade against the whetstone, and the good thing is since I wrap it over the finger nails, I’m no longer experienced gunk up nails anymore.

Try it, see how you like it.

Latest posts

Back