• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Cleaver, Filet, Santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucasFur

Warrior of Jarhead clan
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
KKF Family .... I need you guys here.

So I gave the owner of my company a couple of my knives to try out. And, he loves them. Now he wants me to find him some. - and he doesnt want a standard Gyuto ... he's convinced that he needs specialty knives. ...... and its super hard to find knives for A) somebody else. and B) for a non-knife person C) somebody who really can only talk knives for about 10-30 seconds at a time per week ... MAX.

SO .....im just gunna get what he asked for .... PLZ Help me out guys.

Can somebody sell me a nice custom:
Meat cleaver
Filet Knife
Santoku

STAINLESS PREFERED ... DAMASCUS PREFERRED ... FUNKY HANDLE PREFERRED!!!

Cost is no issue ... but i will be *value* picky.

Yours,
Lucas
Lets see what you got.

Last edited:
Something cheap from Walmart because he isn't going to learn to properly maintenence them.

Good luck with your search. The junk from aliexpress would probably meet your needs for not too much $$. Performance is probably not high on the priority list anyways.

Good luck with your search. The junk from aliexpress would probably meet your needs for not too much $$. Performance is probably not high on the priority list anyways.
Yea ... i just cant. It's got to be brand name *high end* stuff. I really see the japanese delma going from an eastern to a western kitchen.

I Know you guys have some weird stuff hidden away .... message me.

So I gave the owner of my company a couple of my knives to try out. And, he loves them. Now he wants me to find him some. - and he doesnt want a standard Gyuto ... he's convinced that he needs specialty knives. ...... and its super hard to find knives for A) somebody else. and B) for a non-knife person C) somebody who really can only talk knives for about 10-30 seconds at a time per week ... MAX.

SO .....im just gunna get what he asked for .... PLZ Help me out guys.

Can somebody sell me a nice custom:
Meat cleaver
Filet Knife
Santoku

STAINLESS PREFERED ... DAMASCUS PREFERRED ... FUNKY HANDLE PREFERRED!!!

Cost is no issue ... but i will be *value* picky.

Yours,
Lucas
Lets see what you got.

Monster 1.5 lb Mizuno Tanrenjo Chuka Bocho #7 Cleaver in Aogami #2. It’s not stainless but this is by far the most gnarly cleaver I’ve ever touched, and it comes with a hornback alligator sheath from Chuck Pinnell who has done leatherwork for Jackie Kennedy and George Clooney. I’d part with it for $825

Attachments

• 4804F6B1-3BE3-4FE8-A10F-00AE7E605B92.jpeg
    4804F6B1-3BE3-4FE8-A10F-00AE7E605B92.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 14
  • F574E22D-C74F-45DB-A932-C9272098B2EF.jpeg
    F574E22D-C74F-45DB-A932-C9272098B2EF.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 1CA99810-AD34-40F9-8EA9-7E7E434B989B.jpeg
    1CA99810-AD34-40F9-8EA9-7E7E434B989B.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 4CEBD932-D871-4BA4-969D-55A6BC4203E1.jpeg
    4CEBD932-D871-4BA4-969D-55A6BC4203E1.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 0694F2D5-5811-4C04-A011-4ED6FD2DCC22.jpeg
    0694F2D5-5811-4C04-A011-4ED6FD2DCC22.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 2F09066E-E922-4C23-8B20-AD690E5773AC.jpeg
    2F09066E-E922-4C23-8B20-AD690E5773AC.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 7

Seems to me that his enthusiasm is spontaneous and spur-of-the-moment. Does he actually cook??? Would he actually "prep" a meal? Would he be bothered with sharpening, or would he toss it out when it gets dull?

If he's not into cooking/preping,,, then what about buying him a nice carving set, which he could display when having guests over for dinner, etc.

Yours,
Lucas
Lets see what you got.

Seems to me that his enthusiasm is spontaneous and spur-of-the-moment. Does he actually cook??? Would he actually "prep" a meal? Would he be bothered with sharpening, or would he toss it out when it gets dull?

If he's not into cooking/preping,,, then what about buying him a nice carving set, which he could display when having guests over for dinner, etc.

Yea he does actually cook ... mostly Tomahawk steaks (that I know about) - and yea he eats healthy, and preps his own food. - he has a wife and a family of 4, He's just trying to get a nice little collection going.

I think he's fine with carbon blades. -- probably not white paper, but a Aogami should be fine.
I'll most likely do his sharpening as needed.

A nice carving set ... yea .. they are just things i really dont know about. And I really cant recommend your typical Henkels stuff.

*Side note* -- dude your in Lachute, thats amazing. my wife right now is at her family's cottage in Brownsburg.

Yea he does actually cook ... mostly Tomahawk steaks (that I know about) - and yea he eats healthy, and preps his own food. - he has a wife and a family of 4, He's just trying to get a nice little collection going.

I think he's fine with carbon blades. -- probably not white paper, but a Aogami should be fine.
I'll most likely do his sharpening as needed.

A nice carving set ... yea .. they are just things i really dont know about. And I really cant recommend your typical Henkels stuff.

*Side note* -- dude your in Lachute, thats amazing. my wife right now is at her family's cottage in Brownsburg.

*side note* -- Yep, Lachute is a great place to be. Less than an hour into Montreal,,,close to Ottawa... tends to feel more like "country" rather than "city" living.

Regarding recommendations,,, do you have a total budget in mind,,, and how many knives are you considering? Should a cleaver for example,,, even be considered? There are so many types and sizes of cleavers.

What I'm having trouble with, is "value" and "damascus",,,, then throwing "performance" into that mix. For example; the Mercer Millenia 10" bread knife sells for only $28, at Amazon,,, yet it's one of the best performing bread knives you can possibly own. Not fancy,,,, but a performer none-the-less. Plain-Jane looks,,,,Plain-Jane handle that offers outstanding "grip". That raises the question,,,, do you buy performance with no "looks",,, or do you buy something that is stylish just because it "looks" impressive and is more expensive,,,, and does that take away from the budgeting for other more essential knives?

Typically, people recommend three essential knives,,, paring,,,chef,,, and bread knives. Personally, I feel the petty is even more important, and if I only had one knife, it would definitely be a 6" petty. (not a 6" chef) I make that distinction because a 6" chef tends to be taller than a well-designed petty, and as such, I find that taller profile to be less conducive to carving/ slicing, as well as too much "belly". That said, I'd definitely add a petty to the mix;,,,, paring, petty, chef, and bread knives. A good boning knife is also a welcome addition to that list if your petty is not up to that specific task.

Next would come a good carving knife,,, preferably a 10" knife. The 6" petty can take care of most slicing/carving chores for smaller roasts, chickens, etc., while the 10" would be more useful when carving larger items such as turkey, large hams and roasts, as well as larger salmon, etc. A 10" carver would also be more of a "presentation" knife, for carving at the table, etc. As such,,, a matching carving knife and fork set can add to that presentation factor. That said, you could be the only person in that room that remotely cares if your knife and fork match, let alone what it looks like. For those who do however, a beautiful presentation knife can be an interesting conversation piece.

Next comes the chef knife, and that can be a real head scratcher. Although most people would probably recommend 8",,,and since I already own a 6" petty, I'd probably choose a 10" chef knife/gyuto. I have both 8" and 10" lengths, and find the 8" handy "in the kitchen" but not so much for "table presentation".

Now,,,, what about chipping? Which of those knives would probably encounter the highest potential for chipping? Off hand, I'd say the 8" chef knife,,, so take that into consideration when choosing the knife you'll tend to do the most chopping with. Harder steels may sound attractive at first glance, but not necessarily in the hands of a novice or less disciplined cook.

To my way of thinking, that just about covers the essential choices. Others you may want to consider at a future date might be a Chinese cleaver and/or nakiri. I'm not crazy about santoku's, but, I do have a couple. Cheese knives are also nice to have.

Next would come a good carving knife
First off --- I do everything, and I mean everything with a 240 Gyuto and peeler. And I do it efficiently ... Learning from CGuarin youtube vids. Good knife skills trumps all.

Second. --- Ok, so help me find a beautiful Carving knife.

Third. -- you gotta understand this guy. He likes the best of the best. He's come to me to find him exactly that, and I intend to do so to the best of my abilities. He wont buy a "Good" knife off amazon. Its got to be Great, its got to be note worthy, its got to also perform, we all know a garbage knife when we see it. And able to do the job. Not being "Special" in some way wont cut it. We all know Toyotas are the best daily driver car, people still aspire to drive a Bentley/Ferrari's .... i have to find this guy high end Bentley's of the knife world. If he was a knife guy on his own merit, I can guarantee a Real Bob Kramer would be on the list. -And would bring it to Tosho to sharpen. But when I'm finishing up his collection, he may still want a Kramer, but will know there's nothing more that can be hand by owning one.

Come on guys ... Mammoth Tusked Dammy filet knife With matching carving fork. Honyaki's are still on the table also.

Come on guys ... Mammoth Tusked Dammy filet knife With matching carving fork. Honyaki's are still on the table also.

A dammy filet-knife? Like these?
https://artisanto.ca/collections/ro...acus-cable-wire-with-moose-antler-slab-handlehttps://artisanto.ca/collections/ro...filleting-knife-mozabinque-abony-with-sapwood
For sujihiki's, what do you think of these?
https://www.toshoknifearts.com/collections/sujihiki-270mm-30mm/products/aaa-125w1m-49-ga300https://www.toshoknifearts.com/coll...sw-sujihiki-285mm-white-marbled-corian-handle
What is your budget exactly? If a honyaki sujihiki is what you seek, you might be best off simply contacting the maker/vendor directly.

Swiss knife collector thinks he can get 750 ... yea, no
I’m putting my knife knowledge reputation on the line here. And will get made fun of if anything is ****. I’m not getting this.
A dammy filet-knife? Like these?What is your budget exactly? If a honyaki sujihiki is what you seek, you might be best off simply contacting the maker/vendor directly.
The budget is what I can justify. There is no budget. Got a kramer? - 10k I’ll buy it now. Got an ASHI Honyaki 3k I’ll buy it now. Got 3 ashi’s and a kramer ... $20k for the lot, let’s go.

those filet knives are cool. I gotta see a video of the flexibility of them. I forget who it was that has the most flexible seriously impressive filet knives.

I never asked for a slicer

anybody with a takamura uchi santoku they wanna dump?

Latest posts

Back