Cleaver question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
I few years ago when in the height of my knife purchasing obsession, there were a few knives that were more impulse than anything else. Fittingly, my Suien cleaver is one of them. After attempting to use it, I found the handle very clumsy and just plain ugly to look at. After not much though, off she went to the shop and had her scales removed.

After settling down, I realized that there was no plan in place, nothing in the works for this neglected gal. So, here it goes... What shape/ material/ configuration, etc... would you choose if this were your knife. I'm open to all suggestions and input. Thanks.

I think I would do a Butch Harner style handle, something like this probably in palm:

dsc07196sm.jpg

hmm... that wouldn't be a bad idea, now that I think about it. uh oh...

Palm sounds good. I was kicking the idea around alongside with some black locust burl or pollyanna burl.

I can't post a picture here. However if you can find the tread on Fish handles you will see a couple he did for me. The best feeling handles for a cleaver I've ever felt. He did a Suien VC and a Masahiro M3.

Thank you Joe, I have actually been looking for those pictures and have come up empty handed.

* I did find an awesome piece of Manzanita burl that looks promising in one of the many crates of wood in the shop.

Thank you Joe, I have actually been looking for those pictures and have come up empty handed.

* I did find an awesome piece of Manzanita burl that looks promising in one of the many crates of wood in the shop.

I'm speaking more of the shape than materials. I actually owned 3 by Fish, all different materials but the same basic shape.

i have probably the same suien cleaver sitting in a box downstairs. i have the VC vegetable cleaver and just do not like the handle as well. using and learning the cleaver grip helped a little but it just doesnt work like i wish it did. it was a gift from my wife so could never sell it but i would like to get some use out of it as it gets a wicked edge. it is a little tall but hey, in due time it could get better with some work on the stones (sounds like another project) and eventually flatten out the belly just a little along with trimming down the profile.

i would like to hear what people would say about handles for this knife as well

I actually really like the big, beefy WA handle on the DT ITK mid-tech cleavers, really comfy, lots of control, the balance is still very blade heavy, but less extreme than some.
You could grind the tang down and do a wa-conversion.

**************_2179_1437002

Last edited:
I just went through the post listed by zitangy and here are what I own or have owed. The only one I sold was #17 as I bought it from the person it was made due to his having a problem. I later sold it when he didn't want it back to another cleaver lover. Now #28 is the first cleaver a Suien VC fish did for me but the first was the Misino gyuto I got for my wife. Some other though not all of my fish handled knives are #20, 37 and 80 which I traded to David Smith (boardsmith) for a cleaver block. That by the way was the last handle Fish did.

Joe you cornered the market on Fish handled cleavers. :)

I don't know, it seems Andy had more than I did and now makes his own. I will say though that if I could of had my way he would of put a handle on every knife I owned. Oh and Dave, how does one post a picture here? I have a few more not in your listing of Fish's handles that I own.

Joec, nice to see you posting here... learned and read a lot from you and so many others that now stop by or frequent this forum.

Thanks.
:)

Joec, nice to see you posting here... learned and read a lot from you and so many others that now stop by or frequent this forum.

Thanks.
:)

I don't do a lot of posting these days but do follow this forum. Real life has kind of gotten in the way of late.

Thanks guys, I've decided to go with a Fish inspired Western handle in Black Locust Burl and Manzanita Burl.

DC, good to see you... IIRC, it was you who turned me on to the beauty of Manzanita Burl... thanks.

Know what ya mean Joec, long time no see :)

Real life problems tend to cut down the time spent on hobbies. I drop in for a few every day or so just don't do a lot of posting any more. Good to see a post from you though. :)

That one isn't mine PT, but mine are similar in shape and size. I also got lucky with my M3 as it was thin bladed and is still among my favorite cleavers. I have a Takeda, Knife Forum in VG10, Suien VC and the M3. I also have an old Dexter that I gave to Dave only to get it back a year later in the shape of a duck knife. It is a pretty good vegetable slicer as well.

Below is a sample of my cleavers starting with the VC and M3 followed by about half of my others.

FishSuienVCClever.jpg

FishMasamotoM3.jpg

cleavers_grp.jpg

Back