Cleavers, CCK 1303, 1103, 1923, 1302, and others

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
I recently got a CCK 1303 thin vegetable cleaver and am really enjoying it. I make and eat a lot of stir fry's and this knife excels at it-go figure! Performs really well, low maintenance, and I don't feel i need to baby it. Almost a bit disappointing as it works so well and fast that I miss not playing with my food a bit longer :) Home cook here.
http://www.chefsmall.net/CCK-Small-Cleaver-Small-Slicer-KF1303-S

I've been looking at other cleavers, reading the old forum posts, and watching YouTube videos of people using cleavers.

The slicers, CCK 1103, 1102 are popular but seem too tall for me, maybe I'll eventually give one a try.
http://www.chefsmall.net/CCK-Kitchen-Slicer-Kitchen-Cleaver-KF1103-S

The CCK cleaver 1922 looks like a good all purpose cleaver but I think the thin vegetable cleavers suit what I do better-no small bone chopping, and it seems like it would benefit from a stouter cutting board than I have.
http://www.chefsmall.net/Chan-Chi-Kee-Chinese-Vegetable-Knife-Vegetable-Cleaver-M

So, I decided to get a slightly larger thin vegetable cleaver, the CCK 1302.
http://www.chefsmall.net/CCK-Small-Cleaver-Small-Slicer-KF1302-M
In shopping around for one I found one on ebay for $22 less than on Chefs Mall including shipping. Looks to be a reliable seller, I bought one and it's on it's way.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173066522904

Are there any other sources on line for CCK cleavers?
Any ideas for other cleavers to look at?
What's your favorite cleaver?
Thanks for your replies.

I have CCK 1102,1912, 1301 and 1302 a Suien VC and a Shibazi

What is the stainless steel in the 1912 like?
I've heard that the 1912 doesnt have as much distal taper to it as the 130x. When do you prefer using this knife?
I think ill stay away from the chukabochos for now, they seem to be more fragile than I want. I've also heard they are pretty curvy, when do you like that?
Which Shibazi do you have?
Thanks!

Love the Suien! Probably the best steel of the cleavers I have. Haven’t tried a Sugimoto yet. Most of your Japanese cleavers have some kind of belly,while your CCK’s are pretty flat

Seems like Chris kimball’s CCK review has them flying off the shelf. CKTG is sold out and has raised their price to $80. On their forum they said sales jumped 3x.

The cleaver bug has hit me after borrowing a friends CCK. As luck would have it someone just offered me a Richmond Fanatic Gen 1 Cleaver. A slicer modeled after the CCK in AEB-L at 61 HRC. Could be interesting, I am sure it will need to be thinned, but I expect it to be a fun toy!

"A slicer modeled after the CCK ....."

Mark is knocking off a Chinese knife??? Got to be some poetry in there somewhere.

I've had a couple CCK's, don't anymore. Still have a Suien for long time.

"A slicer modeled after the CCK ....."

Mark is knocking off a Chinese knife??? Got to be some poetry in there somewhere.

171748_30267d4d004c515082f801aab2769cee.gif

Richmond knives are known to suck and that's when he's knocking off J-knives...can't see him doing much better on Chinese cleavers.

Chefsmall.net not the fastest but prices are fair and don't have to deal with mark...

Restaurantmall linked above has very good prices but a rather limited selection...appears to be west coast us.

In that thread they talk about storage a bit here and there. That's the only problem I've had so far with my cleavers and I'm thinking either a saya or magnetic strip are the only viable solutions at my house as my knife block is too small for my largest cleaver. :-(

In that thread they talk about storage a bit here and there. That's the only problem I've had so far with my cleavers and I'm thinking either a saya or magnetic strip are the only viable solutions at my house as my knife block is too small for my largest cleaver. :-(

I use a magnetic strip, works well.

How big is your largest cleaver ? My solution was to import a cheap Chinese knife block, it's much easier to find block made for cleavers there, but then again the cleaver I ordered was only about 20.5 X 9 cm
You can also do a DIY straw style block, or instead of filling it with"straws" you can make and insert some spacers instead

I've not heard about straw style blocks. I'll look into that.

My largest cleaver is a #2 (8"x3.5").

The CCK 1302 on ebay that I mentioned above arrived in good order from Hong Kong, no problems. Looks good, looking forward to using it and see if I like the larger size compared to the 1303.
The same ebay seller now also has 1303's for sale.
Has anyone ordered a knife from restaurantmall.com?

I did, ordered on 1/26 and received it today in good order. Their shipping is a bit steep relatively speaking, but with tax and shipping 1303 was still $69, so not bad. The cleaver came in good shape, well packaged. Question related to the arrival, do these usually come sharpened?

I did, ordered on 1/26 and received it today in good order. Their shipping is a bit steep relatively speaking, but with tax and shipping 1303 was still $69, so not bad. The cleaver came in good shape, well packaged. Question related to the arrival, do these usually come sharpened?
Usually not sharpened in my experience. Even store pick up cleavers are not sharpened. But, 5 minutes on stones and it is good!

Thanks for the price info. My 1302 from the ebay seller in Hong Kong came to a total of $68 shipped. My 1303 came sharp, the 1302 did not.

Did it ship from the west coast USA?

I just received an email from Chefs mall in which they refunded my purchase because of Chinese New Year. I’ll probably reorder later . Does anyone know of any other sources for Shibazi cleavers? Thanks.

I just received an email from Chefs mall in which they refunded my purchase because of Chinese New Year. I’ll probably reorder later . Does anyone know of any other sources for Shibazi cleavers? Thanks.
I just received my shibazi carbon cleaver, I live I Denmark in Europe, so I realized I might as well order from AliExpress. waited about a month in shipping, ended up paying about 50 USD, including import tax and handling, which cost more then the knife itself

I just received my shibazi carbon cleaver, I live I Denmark in Europe, so I realized I might as well order from AliExpress. waited about a month in shipping, ended up paying about 50 USD, including import tax and handling, which cost more then the knife itself

Which Shibazi cleaver did you get, and what do you think of it?

A couple of days ago, I got my first cleaver, a CCK 1302 (Thanks, fatboylim!) and today I put it to the stones for the first time. It was the easiest knife yet to sharpen! I got a burr quickly and it was soon removed through Naniwa Pro 1000 and 5000. Either this is a very very easy knife to sharpen, or I'm getting good at sharpening. My quess is that the knife is the reason. :)

Now: Scary sharp. It quickly sliced potatoes for tonights late lunch/early dinner. I'm in love. The weight and height helps with force, even though it feels quite nimble in handling.

Latest posts

Back