Cleavers - CCK & Leung Tim Kee

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teetertank

Reaction score
Recently been obsessing about getting a chinese cleaver, so now have a stainless on order from China but found a Chinese cash & carry not to far from here that seems to have a reasonable selection, including the CCKs that get plenty of mention on the forum. So, I plan a visit there at the weekend.

In addition to the CCK range, they also have Leung Tim Kee, a brand that I don't find much reference to here. Does anyone have any experience of the Leung Tim Kee choppers? How do they compare to CCK, as from the pictures, they look very similar.

I'm after slicing type cleavers, rather than bone chopping - so thinner the better for me.

No experience with Leung Tim Kee, but I think CCK 13XX-series is about as thin as they come. ;)

OK, good to know. I was planning on picking up a 1303 or 1302. The more popular size here seems to be the smaller 1303, but apparently the more traditional size is the medium 1302 (215mm blade).

But also curious if the Leung Tim knives are good too. Not sure on prices yet, but expect the Leungs are cheaper.

I've been to both shops in Hong Kong. Leung Tim Kee is kind of out of the way and hard to find. The Kee shop seemed more focused on professional chef business but the knives were very similar. I bought cleavers in both shops but different weights and sizes. Find a cleaver that fits your needs, either brand is fine. P.S. I don't think I will be going back to Hong Kong. :(

FWIW- I recently got a (very cheap) carbon cleaver, they're wonderful pieces of kit. Mine is the same size as the 1302, and I'd definitely recommend. I wouldn't go smaller particularly if you're looking at something lighter like CCK.

Here's a non-paywalled article by the same person: Five of the best kitchen knives for serious cooks

Thanks for the link cotedupy. Seems they rate Leung Tim highly.

I went to the store at the weekend but due to the limited shipments from China recently, stock levels were low. They had no Leung Tim in stock and no CCK 1303.

As I was determined to come away with something, I picked up a KF1103 (the smaller model of their large size slicer). It's taller than the 13XX series but seems to work well. I note some seem to progress onto this version from the smaller blades, so hope it will fare me well.

It's a carbon blade but without the blacksmith finish found on the 13XX series. However I notice that the only reactive part of the blade seems to be the sharp edge, it looks like the rest of the blade may be lacquered. Can anyone confirm?

Expect most are familiar with these, but for reference, here's a pic. It weighs 383g/13.5oz

KF1103.jpg

It's a carbon blade but without the blacksmith finish found on the 13XX series. However I notice that the only reactive part of the blade seems to be the sharp edge, it looks like the rest of the blade may be lacquered. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah, CCK come with a protective lacquer. It's supposed to be food safe, but I used some acetone to wipe it off some it could start building a patina!

Let us know what you think of it when you've had some time to try it out!

CCK come with a protective lacquer. It's supposed to be food safe, but I used some acetone to wipe it off some it could start building a patina!

Good to know, and thanks for the acetone tip. Any idea if the lacquer will last, or does it gradually come off with use? If it will naturally come off then I'd follow your route of removing it now; if it will last then I may leave it to reduce maintenance.
Let us know what you think of it when you've had some time to try it out!
I picked up lots of fresh noodle when getting the knife, so plenty of stir frys lines up. Has already been working nicely.

Very nice! Looks like a great size too. I'm going to have to buy myself another cleaver now ;)

I think most people say the lacquer comes off with time, tho I don't have direct experience with CCK. If you do decide to take it off- note that most nail polish removers seem not to contain acetone anymore, some do so just read the ingredients.

Also- I don't know what the fit is like on CCK but watch out if there's a gap between the bolster and blade, as it's easy to get water and rust in there, might even be an idea to try to fill it in some way...

Good to know, and thanks for the acetone tip. Any idea if the lacquer will last, or does it gradually come off with use? If it will naturally come off then I'd follow your route of removing it now; if it will last then I may leave it to reduce maintenance.

It will gradually come off over time. :)

Also- I don't know what the fit is like on CCK but watch out if there's a gap between the bolster and blade, as it's easy to get water and rust in there, might even be an idea to try to fill it in some way...

Yeah, my 1303 hada a pretty sizeable gap. Epoxy filled it up nicely.

Back