Clogged Stone Q.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
What does a clogged stone look or feel like?

And - probably unrelated I only ask because this stone raises basically no mud - this is a Naniwa 3k... does anybody know what the speckles are all over it? They're very large speckles, so I assume are benign. I've not used it a huge amount, but have flattened using wet n dry sandpaper, which I assume is an ok thing to do? What kind of grit should I be using for that?

TY!

IMG_2103.jpg

Reactions: ian
It'll feel more like sharpening on glass instead of abrasive.

That's what I imagined. This stone has always felt like that, but gives very good results anyway. I'm a bit perplexed by it tbh, tho it seems to work. Hey ho!

Does it feel that way when freshly lapped?

It does, yep. Though I've only used 240 grit wet and dry sandpaper. Reckon that's alright? Might there be something in it that's clogging the stone...?

I don't think it's getting clogged.

just from the context you are giving. It seems like the stone just may not be one of those stones that likes to give off a ton of fresh abrasive. When I stone "clogs" it's getting metal particles built up on the very top of the stone so when you run your knife, whatever is being sharpened over it, it doesn't come into contact with the abrasive like it should. Thus, giving it the feeling that you are sharpening on glass.

However if you have just freshly lapped the stone then there should be no metal on the surface. So the stone shouldn't be clogged. Maybe use something coarser than 240 grit to lapp it and see how it feels then.

Edit: btw those specks are probably nothing too important. My king 6000 looked just like that.

I don't think it's getting clogged.

just from the context you are giving. It seems like the stone just may not be one of those stones that likes to give off a ton of fresh abrasive. When I stone "clogs" it's getting metal particles built up on the very top of the stone so when you run your knife, whatever is being sharpened over it, it doesn't come into contact with the abrasive like it should. Thus, giving it the feeling that you are sharpening on glass.

However if you have just freshly lapped the stone then there should be no metal on the surface. So the stone shouldn't be clogged. Maybe use something coarser than 240 grit to lapp it and see how it feels then.

Edit: btw those specks are probably nothing too important. My king 6000 looked just like that.

Ta! That was my inclination as well - that it's just how the stone is (and it was like this from new). Will try with some other grits and see if that effects it.

Clogged is one.
Glazed is another.

Diamond plates or some sandpaper will glaze the surface of some stones. Making them glass like to some extent, still usable, but just with a much slower and finer response.

Clogged is when the surface is loaded with metal removed from the knives and you have poor or no contact with the actual abrasives. It's not always glass like. Sometimes this would stop gliding altogether.

The speckles are there in some stones, but I can't say I'm familiar with them like that here. Anyway, stones do have some variations with time, at least in my experience.

Clogged is one.
Glazed is another.

Diamond plates or some sandpaper will glaze the surface of some stones. Making them glass like to some extent, still usable, but just with a much slower and finer response.

Clogged is when the surface is loaded with metal removed from the knives and you have poor or no contact with the actual abrasives. It's not always glass like. Sometimes this would stop gliding altogether.

The speckles are there in some stones, but I can't say I'm familiar with them like that here. Anyway, stones do have some variations with time, at least in my experience.

Ah interesting! It sounds like I should experiment with some other sandpaper / grits maybe.

Yes try lapping it on something coarser for a new surface. The naniwa ss 5k I rarely use, it needs constant dressing imo. Freshly cleared with a chosera nagura, and after a couple swipes with a kiridashi and rinsed with fingers.. Needs clearing up again to work well.

Attachments

• IMG_20201216_115435.jpg
    IMG_20201216_115435.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20201216_115558.jpg
    IMG_20201216_115558.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 19
I mostly just rub my Naniwa 3k down with my Naniwa 1k... sorta flattens both at the same time, and gives a fresh surface that isn't too rough. Seems to work well for me so far.
But I have to say that I mostly do it to keep the stone flat... I never had issues with the 3k loading up. That is... if its the Naniwa professional/chosera? I never used any of the supers.

I mostly just rub my Naniwa 3k down with my Naniwa 1k... sorta flattens both at the same time, and gives a fresh surface that isn't too rough. Seems to work well for me so far.
But I have to say that I mostly do it to keep the stone flat... I never had issues with the 3k loading up. That is... if its the Naniwa professional/chosera? I never used any of the supers.

Sorry - I should've said... it's a Naniwa Kagayaki, which I understand is a smaller version of a SS (?), so possibly the same thing @kayman67 mentioned.

The issue sounds, and looks, almost identical to what @RDalman pictured above. Guess it's just going to need a lot of love!

My 2k and 5k both look like RDalmans 5k after a while. The feeling gets a bit different, but it doesnt effect the results too much. I'm not talking a complete black stone here, just like the above pictures. When you start slicing the black clog of the stone, you know its too much :rolleyes:. Rinsing with the use of your fingers does solve the problem

The 1k doesnt clog like that, probably because it is a lot softer and therefor wears more.

Clogged is one.
Glazed is another.

This. What grit sand paper did you use? As said, you want to go course.

I guess here all those slurry/dressing stones I pile up, help. Try finding a soft ark and give that a go first. Making a thin slurry layer and cleaning as needed. This might be the cheapest option that won't require any further maintenance.

I hadn't really noticed the thread at all.

The same thing happens with my Specialty Stone 5k. But I can easily clean it with a synthetic Nagura from King / Matsunaga. Works fine, maybe this is a possibility for you ?!

I hadn't really noticed the thread at all.

The same thing happens with my Specialty Stone 5k. But I can easily clean it with a synthetic Nagura from King / Matsunaga. Works fine, maybe this is a possibility for you ?!

Ah sorry, thought I'd mentioned on the other thread - I do now use a King nagura on it every time I use, and it works nicely :). But without that it was very difficult!

Back