CO line cook saying hi!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattPike4President

Reaction score
More or less what the title says. Line cook with a fine dining background currently working out in Colorado. I enjoy using nice tools for work and occasionally spend money to make that happen. I like tall knives and relatively non-reactive steels that feel nice to sharpen. Daily driver is a 210 Masashi Koi and its just about perfect in every way. Recently picked up a Yoshikane SKD santoku for an on line knife, not sure how I feel about it. Cutting performance is phenomenal but the heat treatment feels a bit hard and brittle for what I use it for. We'll see what I think after a few sharpens. Gesshin stainless 150 petty for small tasks. Down the road looking for a 240ish laser and a thinner petty. Looking forward to being around here more!

Hell yeah CO! Big city or mountains?
The Yoshi has a really thin edge, after a couple sharpenings it’ll thicken slightly, and feel sturdier. They’re great knives, give it a chance.

Hell yeah CO! Big city or mountains?
The Yoshi has a really thin edge, after a couple sharpenings it’ll thicken slightly, and feel sturdier. They’re great knives, give it a chance.

Mountains big time, Crested Butte/Gunnison County.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for with the Yoshi. I use my Masashi which is a similar steel and grind (though different heat treat) for almost anything and I was surprised by how much more fragile the Yoshi felt ootb. LOVE how it cuts though, I'd be sad if I went back to doing shallots with my bigger knives again

Back