Coarse synthetic stone comparison

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panamapeet

Reaction score
We made a simple review and comparison of some coarse synthetic whetstones. Review can be found here.

Comments and criticism welcomed. This is just our personal take on these three stones.

Cheers,
Badgertooth, Valgard and Spipet

This is a great, intelligent, and well written article.

There is a wide enough breadth of stones to have a solid discussion. One thing I liked in particular is the discussion about stone hardness vs shaping potential for convex edges and bevels. The only thing I would add if its possible is a JIS/ micron chart for each of stone grits (accross brands).

Thanks for all the work you put into this.

Thank you all for that! A very good read and very informative. It always amazes me how much time and effort people put into these hobbies, creating resources like this and the constant support for people with questions (often very repetitive).

This is a great, intelligent, and well written article.

There is a wide enough breadth of stones to have a solid discussion. One thing I liked in particular is the discussion about stone hardness vs shaping potential for convex edges and bevels. The only thing I would add if its possible is a JIS/ micron chart for each of stone grits (accross brands).

Thanks for all the work you put into this.

You’re making us blush [emoji847]

Thank you all for that! A very good read and very informative. It always amazes me how much time and effort people put into these hobbies, creating resources like this and the constant support for people with questions (often very repetitive).
Thanks! Let us know if you have any request for other stones/knives/whatever!

Great write up guys. I’m a little surprised that cerax 320 wasn’t used in the comparison though. It’s a personal fave and I was curious how it might compare to some of the other stones out there.

Great write up guys. I’m a little surprised that cerax 320 wasn’t used in the comparison though. It’s a personal fave and I was curious how it might compare to some of the other stones out there.
None of us had the stone Labor :oops:.

Great read. Thank you for all the work.

Thanks, I think we really enjoyed writing this. If you have any suggestions for other articles, please let me know!

Agreed with all the praise of the article. Any idea where to track down your favorite (and discontinued) Suehiro Gyokumyo Ryu 320?

Very very hard to get at this point unfortunately. I'm tempted to write to Suehiro to see if they have any old stock, but I doubt it.

Thanks! Tempted to buy that cerax just to try it...

@Spipet I don't have the complete version of this one as I only had 6 of the stones we reviewed I think. If you have it maybe paste the draft here?

Back