Coffee conundrum

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks the beans I get now are medium roast more brown in color makes good pour over American. Medium grind on Camano hand crank.

Since started getting coffee from them couple years ago my pour over became better over store bought beans.

He said would give me sample roasts. He knew about the Robot.

I am upgrading my grinder. Wanted a power one not too big, easy to clean, single dose friendly. Looked on eBay for used ones most were too big & since new to espresso was not expert at all on power grinders.

Decided on Niche Zero had been looking at other cheaper options very good espresso grinders. Moooza loves his for easy setups for Robot. It got great reviews from coffee geeks. I'm sure it will compliment the Robot well & I won't care about the couple extra hundred bucks later down the line.

Thanks the beans I get now are medium roast more brown in color makes good pour over American. Medium grind on Camano hand crank.

Since started getting coffee from them couple years ago my pour over became better over store bought beans.

He said would give me sample roasts. He knew about the Robot.

I am upgrading my grinder. Wanted a power one not too big, easy to clean, single dose friendly. Looked on eBay for used ones most were too big & since new to espresso was not expert at all on power grinders.

Decided on Niche Zero had been looking at other cheaper options very good espresso grinders. Moooza loves his for easy setups for Robot. It got great reviews from coffee geeks. I'm sure it will compliment the Robot well & I won't care about the couple extra hundred bucks later down the line.
That sounds like a fun and workable setup. Enjoy.

I love the overlap between hobbyist forums. His Urania is sweet!

For real?

yep, It's a bit of a unicorn in the espresso world but a couple of years ago I ran into it and got a great deal, no hard thinking required and I never have regretted that purchase! Temperature stable because of the sheer mass of brass, it's on for like 6 hours a day.

Yup me too. Only if I can get here, Home Barista, Badger and Blade, and AR15.com on one site, I'll be satisfied.

I haven't really visited B&B much since getting a Game Changer .68P over the winter, and the photography forums have been dormant for me for more than a year, but that's just as well - I have other obsessions hobbies that need the time and funds, too. 🥴

For those looking for a new grinder and have $3,500 burning a hole in their pocket: EG-1 Electric Coffee Grinder
for that sort of money I'd probably get a Kafatek Flat max, id at all. I'm good with my Mazzer Major with SSP Red Speed burrs.

Just keep in mind that these grinders cater for a niche; very lightly roasted beans that are notoriously difficult to extract and require ultrafine grinds with a very unimodal distribution.
Compare it to buying a 270 Kato WH to dice some cheese to go with some beer.

for that sort of money I'd probably get a Kafatek Flat max, id at all. I'm good with my Mazzer Major with SSP Red Speed burrs.

Just keep in mind that these grinders cater for a niche; very lightly roasted beans that are notoriously difficult to extract and require ultrafine grinds with a very unimodal distribution.
Compare it to buying a 270 Kato WH to dice some cheese to go with some beer.
Assuming that you can get your hands on a flat max! Most people have issues getting in on the pre-order. For those interested, the pre-order for the next batch is tomorrow 10/24 at 10pm PDT. They sell out in minutes......

hey if folks here are able to get a Shig in their hands they ought to be able to get a Kafatek ;-)

FWIW I caution against getting an ultra high end grinder unless you are into LIGHT roasted high end coffee....

hey if folks here are able to get a Shig in their hands they ought to be able to get a Kafatek ;-)

FWIW I caution against getting an ultra high end grinder unless you are into LIGHT roasted high end coffee....
I’ll bite 🙃
So because you are happy with your Major you are not into high end light roast coffee?

The Kafatek grinders aren't just for light roasts. However personally, I wouldn't get a Max unless I was into lightly roasted filter coffee, otherwise the flat is more than enough. And the new conical is absolutely amazing if you're into that sort of thing. They're also not too hard to get if you know what you are doing.

Last edited:
I’ll bite 🙃
So because you are happy with your Major you are not into high end light roast coffee?

It was no bait ;-)

Actually you are right, but the logic is reversed.
I am not into very light roasts and so my Major w SSP burrs does the job more than admirably. The differences between grinders are bigger the lighter roasts get. However, where I always was sure my roast was more medium/dark I have learned that I'm typically more in the light-medium range than I would have thought.

Recently did an exeriment with a darker roast and found it unpalatable, too roasty and lacking most other flavor notes, mouthfeel was great though.

Last edited:
Been on the fence re. roasting my own. Anyone with experience with the Hottop B KN-8828B-2K? Like the programmable features. Lots of freshly roasted coffee locally, so I've been buying the Yirgacheffe Arabica beans and grinding them just before use. Getting pricey though.
re. espresso machines, have been down the La Pavoni, Baby Gaggia, and San Marco route. Clean, pure water has been an issue.

Been on the fence re. roasting my own. Anyone with experience with the Hottop B KN-8828B-2K? Like the programmable features. Lots of freshly roasted coffee locally, so I've been buying the Yirgacheffe Arabica beans and grinding them just before use. Getting pricey though.
re. espresso machines, have been down the La Pavoni, Baby Gaggia, and San Marco route. Clean, pure water has been an issue.
find some mineral water with very low hardness and add some potassium bicarb (search HB forum for RPavlis water) to buffer acidity. I'm using it for years now and have never seen scale or corrosion since.

Roasting your own is great, and affordable (if your coffee consumption is high enough)! Did you check out the Bullet roaster? Higher batch weight and great user reports. (I am using a propane powered Huky 500)

Back