Colin's ring-a mokume ring work-in-progress

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is sweet looking, and I will avoid any Lord of the Rings comment.

Btw, how tough is the ring? Will it hold up well?

k.

Karring, I have found the mokume to be very tough, I have been wearing mine every day for 8 years, I made mine a bit undersized and I can't take mine off without soap. I take mine off once or twice a year. Mine is etched as well and I have almost no wear. It should last a lifetime, at least.
Del

waite... is it bad luck for the groom to see the ring befor the wedding? Looks sweet Del, thanks

Yeah, it was definitely awesome to see the sip! Nice looking ring too!

Del....a few questions if u will.....how do u bend the billet into shape.....do u have different size bars for different sizes?......do u heat it with a torch or something. Or is it soft enough to bend it?

Also how do u shape the sides.....do u attach it to something to grind the sides to shape?......very cool for sure.....

Just out of curiosity what are the cheapest materials to get started in mokume....as far as the mix of metals......ryan

ryan brass and copper might be as cheap as you can go and as easy to fuse too

i did soem nic-silver and copper and it turned out ok
im thinking about a batch of silver and copper tho for more striking contrast

I bend it around my own fingers to shape, but then enough iron has seeped into me that I have fingers of steel :viking:
all the work is done cold, silver doesn't like to be worked hot.
Each ring is a bit different, for larger sizes I use a bit thicker stock and for smaller rings the stock is a bit thinner. The same with width, although that is at the customers request, usually with a recommendation from me. I shape the sides by hand after the band is soldered together. The stock that I make is also a fairly consistant width, and only a bit of adjustment is necessary.
The least expensive mix with a decent amount of contrast would be copper and silver, it would be fine for bands as long as it was silver lined. Avoid silver and brass in combination, it causes problems, just trust me on this.
Thanks,
Del

Well just under 2 months and I lost it, sucks so bad. This is why chefs should not were rings, hot soapy water + rings = very bad.

But just so I can remember it, and not loose another one, hers my fix

cb8f99b1.jpg

Back