Commission WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I was fooled by the same misconception.
It feels like a correct assumption if you have the following thought process: The angle to the base of a cone is consistent around its perimeter. If I change the width/length of the cone, the angle has to change... this same rule should apply to a sharpening jig.
6a10_kwik-goal_disc-cone_orn_detail.jpg

But then someone shows you this...

roof-painting.jpg

...and the above assumption collapses.
So yeah, you can use a central point/pivot to keep the same bevel angle along a straight edge, regardless of its width/length! :lol2:

I fail to see how a standard roof shows you that.... cause trigonometry says otherwise.... if your run increases without your rise increasing you get a change in angle....

Admittedly I have no idea what jig you are talking about so no idea how it holds or sets angle.

We're referring to this style of sharpening/grinding jig, and how at first glance it would seem that the angle of the bevel would change in correlation to its distance from the pivot... but this isn't actually true.

P1030788.JPG

If the knife is clamped in only once, you get the steepest angle and the smallest bevel in the middle. Closer to the ends of the knife the file has a longer stroke and the bevel angle gets smaller, bevel grows wider.

We're referring to this style of sharpening/grinding jig, and how at first glance it would seem that the angle of the bevel would change in correlation to its distance from the pivot... but this isn't actually true.

P1030788.JPG
While I do greatly respect the info you share on here... trig totally disagrees with you.... because at the tip your run is greater than the middle but your rise is constant... unless there is something I am missing in the mechanism...

While I do greatly respect the info you share on here... trig totally disagrees with you.... because at the tip your run is greater than the middle but your rise is constant... unless there is something I am missing in the mechanism...

I think the angle to which the 'rise' and 'run' correspond is not the angle of the bevel. It's the angle from the centre point of the jig to the edge of the file. The angle of the bevel is in a different plane / axis.

So, when you took the commission did the buyer want specific blade features, size, height etc? If so, did that jive with your idea of how the blade should be?

Yeah I was fooled by the same misconception.
It feels like a correct assumption if you have the following thought process: The angle to the base of a cone is consistent around its perimeter. If I change the width/length of the cone, the angle has to change... this same rule should apply to a sharpening jig.
6a10_kwik-goal_disc-cone_orn_detail.jpg

But then someone shows you this...

roof-painting.jpg

...and the above assumption collapses.
So yeah, you can use a central point/pivot to keep the same bevel angle along a straight edge, regardless of its width/length! :lol2:
Holy Cow you are right!!! I see it now. Kipp you missed career as an educator!

So, when you took the commission did the buyer want specific blade features, size, height etc? If so, did that jive with your idea of how the blade should be?

I requested length and height measurements. He convinced me as to what a good weight for the knife would be. This knife is similar to a knife kippington already made which I was in love with (there’s a thread somewhere about his original honyaki workhorse). After using it at work for 2 days I can confidently say I like this knife even more than I thought I would. I’m definitely having kippington make more knives for me whenever he has the time.

I requested length and height measurements. He convinced me as to what a good weight for the knife would be. This knife is similar to a knife kippington already made which I was in love with (there’s a thread somewhere about his original honyaki workhorse). After using it at work for 2 days I can confidently say I like this knife even more than I thought I would. I’m definitely having kippington make more knives for me whenever he has the time.
And pics... where are the pics!!!

Haha, I won’t stop harassing him until I get atleast one more knife from him. It’s his own fault for making a great knife and being super cool to communicate with.
I don’t know if anyone else has noticed what with all the diagrams he’s shared on this thread and a few others but he clearly has put a lot of thought into his work and it shows in the final product.

And pics... where are the pics!!!

Will do. I really regret not taking pics of the ootb mirror finish. After 5 shifts patina is slowly setting in. But I’ve been using it for a spinalis special so it’s building some nice blue streaks towards the tip. Also fingerprint patina.

Haha, I won’t stop harassing him until I get atleast one more knife from him. It’s his own fault for making a great knife and being super cool to communicate with.
I don’t know if anyone else has noticed what with all the diagrams he’s shared on this thread and a few others but he clearly has put a lot of thought into his work and it shows in the final product.
I'm still waiting on a pm with a price. Hint hint, nudge nudge. Haha

To be honest I’m trying to hold off on a review for another week. Ginrei should arrive any day now and I was thinking about doing a review of both knives together. Maybe a little compare and contrast.

malexthekid, the thing with trig is that we need to be careful how we apply a two-dimensional plane to a three-dimensional shape. It has been done incorrectly a couple of times in this thread already!

if your run increases without your rise increasing you get a change in angle....

xotfLD2.gif

I think the angle to which the 'rise' and 'run' correspond is not the angle of the bevel. It's the angle from the center point of the jig to the edge of the file. The angle of the bevel is in a different plane / axis.
Bang on target!

-

In other news, I've finally received some new metal from my steel supplier today! Sorry to everyone that has asked me for a knife, I'll be able to make some more soon! :laugh:

malexthekid, the thing with trig is that we need to be careful how we apply a two-dimensional plane to a three-dimensional shape. It has been done incorrectly a couple of times in this thread already!

xotfLD2.gif

Bang on target!

-

In other news, I've finally received some new metal from my steel supplier today! Sorry to everyone that has asked me for a knife, I'll be able to make some more soon! [emoji23]
I think I am just confusing (or visualizing properly) the mechanism.... cause I know I am right in exactly how i am thinking.... but also can't figure you are wrong.

And does that mean I should be sitting idly with my phone waiting for a PM? 😁😉

malexthekid, I will send you a PM now!

What sort of steel is it, Kipp?

It is 1095. As an interesting side-note I looked into the exact composition of this batch of 1095 (according to the website I bought it from), and it almost falls within the tolerances of Hitatchi White #2 according to the zKnives website.
Here are their compositions, including the W2 steel I used for the knife in this thread for comparison:

-- AISI 1095| White#2 | AISI W2
C: . 0.960 .|. 1.050 .|. 0.916
Si:. 0.230 .|. 0.200 .|. 0.296
Mn:. 0.350 .|. 0.300 .|. 0.215
P: . 0.009 .|. 0.025 .|. 0.005
S: . 0.003 .|. 0.004 .|. 0.002
Cr:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.069
Ni:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.042
Mo:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.008
V: . .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.165
W: . .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.005
Cu:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.047
Sn:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.006
Al:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.006

It seems my 1095 is extremely similar to Hitachi White #2 ... as far as I can tell anyway - I didn't put a lot of effort into researching this! :razz:

I read this thread and felt like I was back in math class... I'm just going to go back to cutting things hahaha

Just saw the post , what a beautiful knife [emoji7]
Thumbs up [emoji106]
Keep on going!

Cheers!

I've been receiving a suprising number of requests for knives similar to the one Labor of Love got in this thread, and I've spent the last couple of days making a similar one for Ryanjams.
He was after one with the belly curve of a Masamoto KS, with added heel height and a stronger distal taper.
I8qlgZa.jpg

This new one has a couple of subtle changes to the grind over Labor's - neat little tricks I've learned after making the non-stick knives in the other thread - and I'm blown away by how well this performs with a few optimizing tweaks. I had to record the knife in use before shipping it off:

I'm starting to come around as to why these workhorse grinds appear to attract more people over the lasers. This one is so much fun to use! :D

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, one of the most important lessons I've learned from this whole knife-making endeavor is to enjoy eating potatoes and potato based products... :p
gtSZxfl.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back