Completely newbie - Naniwa or Japanese natural stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly agree with the philosophy behind this, but CKTG sells a diamond flattening plate for $30. I personally have a hard time justifying a 2-3x price increase for the Atoma. Atoma's are definitely a nicer user experience, less sticky and gritty, but I'd be stunned if they lasted even close to twice as long as a CKTG plate before needing to be replaced.

Flattening even with an Atoma is a bit of a chore, and not one that I find I need to do particularly often for my everyday double bevel sharpening on hard(ish) synthetics (Naniwa Pros). I suspect a lot of users, especially home cooks who don't need to sharpen or flatten particularly often, would prefer to save the money rather than pay for the Atoma upgrade over CKTG.

That handle is pretty nifty though
If there are good experiences with the CKTG record in terms of longevity and quality, then of course it would be a cheaper option, you're absolutely right.

How often a user flattens a stone is of course different. Some rarely see the need, others (including me) do it very often. Simply because it's always very little if you do it more often plus I prefer flat surfaces on stones.

Do you recommend any original/trusted store for Naniwa stones? or I go with Amazon?. Thanks.

Back