Composite damascus cleaver - WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok - Still have not weighed it, the balance feels nice on the heel. I have all but very nearly finished it. Still would like to go over the bevels one more time and yet to permanently fix the handle in place. I will likely shoot some video with it as it is then do the final handle fix and any further necessary finishing. Some 80 hour gone into this one.
I couldn't be happier with the way it cuts. The combination of weight and extreme geometry really works for me. It is a laser towards the tip and firmer at the heel but with no hint of wedge and great release all the way along the bevel. Great also to be able to play with the bevel finish or thin without effecting the damascus, though I've found you need to keep the stone washed with fresh water regularly on lower grits or the mud works its way up and can make scratches in the finish.
Really chuffed with the Nickel/15n20/01 damascus its kind of holographic, the nickel gives another dimension and just sharpens it all up. Hard to get accross in pictures - I will do my best to capture some light playing on it in the video.
And the lovely Burl source Red Koa.
Anyway, forgive my self indulgence in a rather large amount of pictures.:D
IMGP3247.jpg

IMGP3250.jpg

IMGP3251.jpg

IMGP3254.jpg

IMGP3255.jpg

IMGP3256.jpg

IMGP3260.jpg

IMGP3263.jpg

IMGP3264.jpg

IMGP3265.jpg

IMGP3273.jpg

IMGP3288.jpg

IMGP3295.jpg

IMGP3296.jpg

IMGP3297.jpg

IMGP3301.jpg

Wow wow wow! Looks incredible! That choil shot looks very intriguing. So what's the fate of this beasty?

Thanks Scott:D Well I want to get some cutting footage with it to finish off the whole blog of the making etc. Then I will put it up for sale as a one off piece:groucho:

He hee:biggrin:
I just weighed it - 414 grams :eek2: she's a big girl, but she carries it well:D

Thanks Zwiefel, I've very much enjoyed working on it.:biggrin:
If anyone would be looking to reserve this unique piece, drop me a pm for pricing. I will be releasing details to my mailing list in the next few days. If I remember my tripod from the workshop i'll shoot some video over the weekend and edit the other bits together. :spin chair:

Will, I love the hollow grind. I bet she performs like a a much shorter knife!

Thanks Judd, yeah it cuts like a much thinner knife but with the food release of a thicker ground knife. I was worried it would be too "fall through" type feeling with the weight and geometry, but it feels very controlled. I'm looking forward to trying it on more food products for the video. I will try some tall cuts on larger veg as well, see how it feels on the spine,and some firmer stuff, this is a very easy one to do the weight of the blade tomato trick with, as its fine grained steel and on the heavy side:D

Yeah, you could definitely cleft some stuff in twain with that big mutha!!!!!:biggrin:

That is the most beautiful cleaver ever. Im kind of scared to know the price on it, because Im kind of scared Ill have to have it no matter what :D

Here is the intro video and some cutting with this one. I will make a separate one of "the making" over Christmas.
[video=youtube;ak7-BewboxA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak7-BewboxA&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Many Thanks All:)

That is the most beautiful cleaver ever. Im kind of scared to know the price on it, because Im kind of scared Ill have to have it no matter what :D

Lovely piece.. asking for `1,800 quid (Gbp) http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/shop.html .Most cleavers comes in the range of 500 to 600 Grams range. This one is slightly above 400grams. Looking for one in 220 to 300grams range for a "chinese Chef's knife".
Merry Christmas..

rgds
d

This one is currently having a nice box made for it to go off to its new owner. I will get some pictures of the whole package before I send it off later in the week. As I will be able to offer a couple of box options in the future.

Just going to bring this one back to the surface as I'm completing another similar piece currently all be it a Nakiri will be interesting to revisit this thread:)

Back