Compulsive Buying - Do you buy unusual stuff you don't really need?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I don't mean knives and kitchen stuff, everyone here does that.
I mean other things that you bought just because you thought they were cool or unusual.
Nowadays I try to direct my compulsive purchases toward unusual wood.
But.......I still give in and buy things I don't need and will probably never use.
Except to take them out to look at and go oooooooooh!
(one time I bought 50 alligator teeth)

My last compulsive purchase was these 3 pieces of rutilated quartz from Turkey.
They are not really valuable but I like to move them around under a light and look at the gold threads that go through the stones.
And, yes.....I am easily amused.
Here is a bad photo of the quartz.

q003.jpg

What kind of unusual but un-needed stuff have you bought compulsively?

similar things, Oregon sunstone and labradorite you should check them out.

I have a house full of thing I have bought and don't need. Probably even the house itself!

-AJ

Alden ultimate Indy boots from leather soul on Rodeo Drive.

I think it is fun to collect cool and unusual things just because you like them.
I get some funny looks from the wife sometimes.
It usually goes something like;
"Look what came in the mail today, isn't it cool?"
What are you going to do with that?
"S***, I don't know. But isn't it cool?"
How much did you pay for that?
"Oh, I got a really good deal"
That's nice rolls her eyes

I bought the movie sword from Lord of the Rings, and a 2000 layer, clay tempered katana.

wifie is like "watcha gonna do with those? Slice onions?"

A year ago I found myself owning sixtysomething camera lenses, I may have been a bit compulsive there... Down to 20 now. But I am really hard to myself these days, just buying wood and cook books, not much else. And done with wood also. I think. For now.

Stefan

Problem is, I don't find myself buying just one type of thing I don't need. I keep a list of items I need, but consistantly buy stuff I don't need. I have probably $3K worth of woodworking equipment (power tools and hand tools) I have never touched because I never started handles. Also have $400 worth of nice burl wood for handles sitting in my spare room. Don't get me started on coffee stuff, watches, and scuba gear. Sheesh.

Didn't I sell you some handle wood years ago, Jason? Stefan

Nice. Cool sword and cute daughter. I have two girls and two boys that age. Told my wife about your swords and your wife's comment cutting onions with that thing.She said she loved me knives and all. Letting her shop probably helps:biggrin:

She is the youngest of three girls, two redheads, and the oldest is brunett, the keep me smiling for sure!

Ah, Pierre, she's a beauty! You'll probably be worse than my dad--he only had ONE big arse knife that he was always sharpening when our dates came to the door (a Randall bowie.)

As for collecting--roses. Started growing them when we moved to the Pacific Northwest because they're so darn easy. These aren't your modern "give your girlfriend a dozen"--they're vintage plants. I have some estimated to be from ~ 1200 A.D. Some may be older than that. Several that were grown by Empress Josephine at Malmaison. The history behind them is really fascinating. Probably have about 200 plants now.

Ah, Pierre, she's a beauty! You'll probably be worse than my dad--he only had ONE big arse knife that he was always sharpening when our dates came to the door (a Randall bowie.)

As for collecting--roses. Started growing them when we moved to the Pacific Northwest because they're so darn easy. These aren't your modern "give your girlfriend a dozen"--they're vintage plants. I have some estimated to be from ~ 1200 A.D. Some may be older than that. Several that were grown by Empress Josephine at Malmaison. The history behind them is really fascinating. Probably have about 200 plants now.

Lol I will remember that for when my daughter's are teenagers. My current plan was cleaning a big ass gun and asking my daughter's date if he wanted to go to the gun range later. That might work better just sit in the corner, don't say a word, just keep sharpening a knife.

just sit in the corner, don't say a word, just keep sharpening a knife.

Almost right, but don't sit in the corner. Sit where you're the first thing seen when someone comes in the door. And practice your glower.

I'm already planning out how much cleaner my guns will be when my future daughter reaches dating age.

That method would have backfired when I was that age though, I would have been like - "Holy cow, that is one sweet XXXX shotgun can we go shooting / hunting sometime?" Probably would have ended up hanging out with my girlfriends dad as much as girlfriend.:D :shotgun:

I'm already planning out how much cleaner my guns will be when my future daughter reaches dating age.

That method would have backfired when I was that age though, I would have been like - "Holy cow, that is one sweet XXXX shotgun can we go shooting / hunting sometime?" Probably would have ended up hanging out with my girlfriends dad as much as girlfriend.:D :shotgun:

Damn you are right. My daughters are smart. If they like the guy they will have him act like he loves saltwater sportfishing. Must guard my weakness.:biggrin:

I think I got it covered from any distance, long distance rifle, then archery, then handgun, then knives, and if he still can't see my point, I'll just fill the bloody door with sheer mass! I told all three of them, before I ok any type of marriage, the "boy" in question, has to be able to carry ME in his arms! My baby said "Like a princess daddy?" :) I looked at her and simply said yes. Now she looks at her oldest "sissy" and says "he can't carry daddy like a princess! Get a better one!"

I think I got it covered from any distance, long distance rifle, then archery, then handgun, then knives, and if he still can't see my point, I'll just fill the bloody door with sheer mass! I told all three of them, before I ok any type of marriage, the "boy" in question, has to be able to carry ME in his arms! My baby said "Like a princess daddy?" :) I looked at her and simply said yes. Now she looks at her oldest "sissy" and says "he can't carry daddy like a princess! Get a better one!"
Lmao

Gorgeous girl pierre. I have two girls one is a redhead and one is borderline redhead. And btw, my wife loves Lord of the Rings. You don't know how much cred you gave this forum in my wife's eyes. She might even overlook my latest custom order ;)

k.

Just for grins, here's a rose from my collection. The blossom is about as big as a quarter (about an inch). It's been grown since 1664 or earlier--some say there were references made to it as early as 1590. Even if you go with 1664, that's more than 100 years before the United States became a country. It's fascinating to me that people have passed along cuttings or grafts for almost 350 years. A living bit of history.

Pompon.jpg

Back