Considering a Teruyasu Fujiwara Denka

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Silky, Feb 9, 2017.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 10, 2017 #31

dwalker

dwalker

dwalker

I have not heard of anyone being dissatisfied in the end ordering direct. I have heard of an order coming in thicker than requested in which case the customer was promptly taken care of with a replacement. Full disclosure, I have not ordered direct, but I have 2 T-F knives that I am very pleased with especially considering the price. (Nashiji W1 nakiri and gyuto) neither has grind issues and the heat treat is superb.

2. Feb 11, 2017 #32

Marek07

Marek07

Marek07

Supporting Member

After seeing Otto's knife, thought I'd post a couple of mine. What he describes as a hole, may be present on mine. I'm not experienced enough to know so looking forward to comments. Here's a couple of phone quality pix:

View attachment 34554

FT210-1.jpg
    It's a work in progress - thanks to Kippington for his efforts and for convincing me to start working on it. What you see above is after a light belt grinding - still to smooth it out on stones. I knew what I was getting myself in for when I bought it so no regrets. The edge is insanely good.

And to drive home the point about F&F, here's a couple of shots of the handle. AFAIK, pakkawood should be very easy to work with so... ?

FT210-4.jpg

FT210-5.jpg

Surprisingly (or perhaps not), their saya is rather a poor fit. Probably not worth getting IMO.

I've wanted one for a long time too. Read all about the pros & cons and debated the purchase for months. It's quite possible that Epicurean Edge might provide a better knife. Certainly the one on their website looks pretty damn good. Whether it's a brilliant sample for display (tweaked in Photo Shop?) or indicative of their stock, I can't say. Yes, I am a cynic by nature. Others who've bought from Epicurean Edge might be the best to ask.

However the pricing is radically different. For the 210mm Denka gyuto as a comparison, it costs $410 direct. Epicurean Edge asks for $719. Similar differences for the Maboroshi range as well - $210 & $398 respectively. It's the price differences between the ranges that made me choose a Maboroshi as my first FT. Is it my last? Let's see how this project turns out first.

3. Feb 11, 2017 #33

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

And here's the clincher. Despite everything, I still really like it. The edge it's capable of is a marvel of HT and it's a great cutter. And there's just something very idiosyncratic and authentic about it.

That and unless you got a pal called Otto who loves wonky grinds, it's unsellable.

[​IMG]

4. Feb 11, 2017 #34

preizzo

preizzo

preizzo

😂😂
    Have mine with my name on it as well 😂 (Matteo) I was lucky the knife it s perfect, apart of the childish engraved

5. Feb 11, 2017 #35

valgard

valgard

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)

This has become hilarious :rofl2:

6. Feb 12, 2017 #36

preizzo

preizzo

preizzo

My fujiwara.
    It s was my main gyuto for all most six months and since I got it I maybe sharpened 6 times and broken the tip about 4 times. Now the length it s of 232 mm, 49 mm tall.

1486859151609.jpg

1486859166997.jpg

1486859182118.jpg

7. Feb 12, 2017 #37

khashy

khashy

khashy

Do you have to specify that you want a machi, or do they by default come with his signature curved machi lines?

8. Feb 12, 2017 #38

preizzo

preizzo

preizzo

You have to specify it! 😊

9. Dec 15, 2019 #39

Henry

Henry

Henry

I my humble opinion, Fujiwara Denka are one of the best kitchen knives in the world. I own 5 Denkas and all are of the highest quality in fit and finish as well as the best performing knives I have ever owned. As you can tell I am a big fan Fujiwara san and his work.

Attached Files:

Keith Sinclair and jonnachang like this.
  10. Dec 15, 2019 #40

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Henry aka Inzite?:D

Nice collection. Time to remove the stickers

jonnachang likes this.
  11. Dec 16, 2019 #41

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

Some of those pictures are pretty bad.

To say that I like my TF Maboroshi hammer finish 210mm is a understatement. It is 55mm at the heel has a even grind heel thinning toward the tip. No overgrinds or uneven edge. The hammer finish has pitting all through it some is dark grey to black. I like it gives the blade a forged look. You can see the vertical grind marks below the hammer to the edge. This might bug some people I could care less because the knife is such a good cutter. I also like the wa handle it is a little thicker and not too long. No need to rehandle it is just how I like wa's. Rounded the spine & choil. All the important stuff that makes this a great knife is done at the forged. Picked it up brand new never been sharpened for 300.00 on BST

12. Dec 16, 2019 #42

sleepy

sleepy

sleepy

What is a machi line?

13. Dec 16, 2019 #43

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

Machi is a small gap between the handle and the tang of the blade.

sleepy likes this.
  14. Dec 16, 2019 #44

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

The machi line mentioned up there is the finger notch, which is the signature of the FT knives

sleepy likes this.
  15. Dec 16, 2019 #45

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Nope, the machi is the wider finger grip area before the tang tapers into the handle. Personally I prefer a machi as it provides more control.

16. Dec 17, 2019 #46

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

Boy you guys are serious all those Denkas at least you know what you like. Back in the day I had carbon masamoto's before the internet early 1980s because cherry Japanese Imports in Honolulu carried them got my King stones from them too.

I have two Watanabe very nice right hand grinds, good thing I am not wrong handed:D. Love sharpening those KU Wats. I like the looks of the KU Denkas too esp. with rough hammer marks have seen on some. I like white steel. Have owned quite a few white over the decades. My TF Maboroshi has excellent edge retention and is a pleasure to sharpen.

jonnachang likes this.
  17. Dec 17, 2019 #47

McMan

McMan

McMan

L=Machi gap
    K=Emoto
    upload_2019-12-17_8-50-25.png

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Chicagohawkie, J.C and parbaked like this.
  18. Dec 17, 2019 #48

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Quote from KitchenKnifeFora "The zknives definition has come up before, and it is not how most Japanese craftsmen use the term. I brought the same thing up on the other forum when JKI announced the machi series in the Kochi line."

From my understanding the machi is the step-down and not the gap.

19. Dec 17, 2019 #49

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

It was my understanding that the Machi is the the step, and this is why certian knives are measured "Machi to Tip" DSC_4901.jpeg

20. Dec 17, 2019 #50

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

+1, although what do I know. It does seem consistent with how Jon uses the term. Anyway, we had this same argument in the newest knife buy thread a few months ago.

21. Dec 17, 2019 #51

McMan

McMan

McMan

Yup, this is my understanding too. Machi is the step; the space between machi and handle is "machi gap". (Tidied this up on zkinves diagram above)

22. Dec 17, 2019 #52

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I forget terminology. If I need to specify something w regards to machi or emoto I just send the maker or whoever a photo to illustrate what I’m looking for.
    Visual aids can be universally understood.

CiderBear likes this.
  23. Dec 20, 2019 #53

Oui Chef

Oui Chef

Oui Chef

Machi's are an aesthetic relic from the samurai, good way to remember that it is indeed the piece of metal that provides a gap between the emoto and handle, since it served a purpose once

Draft saved Draft deleted