Convex - concave - convex grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlijny2k

Reaction score
Last weekend I thinned some old cheap santoku about as thin as it gets. Passes any sharpness or wedging test i can find (except really fat carrots) but food release is just TERRIBLE. That and Chinacat's remark on the enthusiasts thread on whether there is anything really improving the classics going on got me thinking:

Has anyone yet succeeded in porting the convex concave convex axe grind to a knife yet. I suppose it is really difficult to grind but with drop forging maybe it could be done.

Some basics first. If you have to thin a heavily neglected knife best start by thinning only the entire left flat face. The more convexed right one should allow food release, so don't flatten it. Thin it only right behind the edge.

Knife was neglected but basically the edge was as thick as they come from shop. Those cheap knives come so thick behind the edge the geometry doesnt change much over time. It was just a tryout project to see how thin i could go and how cheapo steel holds up in use. Didn't see the food release issue coming but thats just another lesson learned.

Hey thanks for the mention. I just want to mention that what I do now is a little different from that in Marks review. Profile was tweaked, and the grind have evolved to be a little thicker and heavier blades, and is now actually (edge-spine) concave (slight)-concave-convex.

Back