Cooking at my moms house.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
If I had a Time Machine I would have plannned on eating out thanksgiving day. Her tools are abysmal. Thin aluminum pots. No utensils. Her knives are serviceable. Vintage German, but worn way down from my stepdad’s restaurant days. I’m braising a Jewish brisket and I couldn’t use the only big pan; a hotel pan on her induction cooktop. I’m relying on 100% oven heat to get the cool meat hot, and then braised. I should ho out and boost oven temps.

I used my Leatherman as my paring knife. Haha. I almost threw her can opener over the fence.

Dim Sum for Christmas FOR SURE! Haha.

Happy thanksgiving people. I’m probably having nachos. :D

Switch to an Opinel for your pocket knife and you'll never complain about cutting food with it anymore. On vacations most of us climbers cooked all our meals with only Opinels...we survived.
Oven is actually not a problem for braising... if you have the time. I actually prefer it over the stove top since it heats so evenly.
But for these kind of holiday meals I usually prep ahead so that I just have to finish things off on the actual day instead of having to do a lot of prep and requiring long preparations. Braises are better if they were made the day before anyway... ;)

Sounds like fun :cool:

You can braise in the oven. Wrap the pan really well. I've 'seen on TV' where they will seal the top with 2 layers of heady-duty cling wrap and then cover in aluminum foil. I've done this myself at home and it worked well.

Also, where the heck are you in the world that you can't put out a call seeing if a local KKFer will lend you a knife or two, some pots/ pans, etc.

Oh yeah; what Wildboar said. A few layers of aluminium foil and you have a fairly good braising pan. But if you can I'd heat up all the liquids first before you wrap it up, because heating up all the liquid in the oven will take a while; easier to do that on the stove, mix it up and then toss it in.

Switch to an Opinel for your pocket knife and you'll never complain about cutting food with it anymore. On vacations most of us climbers cooked all our meals with only Opinels...we survived.
Oven is actually not a problem for braising... if you have the time. I actually prefer it over the stove top since it heats so evenly.
But for these kind of holiday meals I usually prep ahead so that I just have to finish things off on the actual day instead of having to do a lot of prep and requiring long preparations. Braises are better if they were made the day before anyway... ;)
Haha. I did use my Leatherman in the toilet repair.

My mom discovered sharp knives using the ones that i would bring around.

I will get "Ooooo this knife is sharp! Can i bring this one home?" all the time. So she has very serviceable knives, decent enough steel. She also has all of my hand me down cookware. Over the years she has improved her garbage. A lot of disk bottom pots and pans. Enamel Dutch oven is one of her favorite pieces.

I actually love braising in the ovens without a lid unless I have a nice pot and induction. If I were you, I would sear in batches with whatever pan your mom has that works on induction and toss directly in the hotel pan. Keep your liquid warm, and deglaze with it at the end and pour everything in, cover it with parchment and shove it in the oven! Thats what I basically do everytime I make braises. I never actually cover it tightly due to lack of space in my oven.

The knife situation sounds bad though. I've been bringing my own knives, a thermopen, tongs, and a good soft spatula with me whenever I go to dinner at someone's house, just in case.

Sounds like fun :cool:

You can braise in the oven. Wrap the pan really well. I've 'seen on TV' where they will seal the top with 2 layers of heady-duty cling wrap and then cover in aluminum foil. I've done this myself at home and it worked well.

Also, where the heck are you in the world that you can't put out a call seeing if a local KKFer will lend you a knife or two, some pots/ pans, etc.
I like !!

My family took one sniff and made the executive decision to eat it right away. I rapidly boiled some tiny potatoes in salted water, steamed some green beans.
dinner time. Total crowd pleaser.

today, thanksgiving, only turkey and no green beans. Haha. I have a tiny bit of brisket leftover that I’m gonna make a “French dip” out of for a young adorable kid.

Just pulled the rib roast out of the oven. Cooked it around 250 F, but it finished almost an hour earlier than I wanted. We worked to have everything else ready early, and were going to hold some in the circulator (i.e., shed potatoes), but -- oops -- the stuffing did not go in the oven until 5 minutes ago.

May wind up carving rib roast into steaks and putting them in the circulator to keep warm.

Just pulled the rib roast out of the oven. Cooked it around 250 F, but it finished almost an hour earlier than I wanted. We worked to have everything else ready early, and were going to hold some in the circulator (i.e., shed potatoes), but -- oops -- the stuffing did not go in the oven until 5 minutes ago.

May wind up carving rib roast into steaks and putting them in the circulator to keep warm.
Way to rally!!! Dang.

Back