Quantcast

Cool trick.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Dusty

Reaction score
For pro chefs out there who have access to a sous-vide machine, if you need to soak a stone in under a minute, try vacuum sealing it in a bag with water. I've tried this with a Rika 5k and a Beston 500 and both worked a treat, even the very thirsty Beston! Its also fun to watch all of the air get punched out of the Beston in a couple of seconds.

I thought of this idea whilst using the sous-vide machine to compress fruit - watching the air rush out of my apple and the sugar syrup rush in.

I know its not hard to soak a stone, but I often find myself with just a few minutes to spare for a quick touch up between services.:D

heirkb

Reaction score
Next thing you know, people will be sous-vide-ing their knives with stones in the bag. They come out tomato-test sharp!

DeepCSweede

Reaction score
Yeah - Or sous-vide-ing a new cutting board in mineral oil to get the oil infused quickly.......?

labor of love

Reaction score
Besters are seriously thirsty stones. I've found if I use real light pressure the stones will stay wet longer. That and I just started presoaking them for over an hour.

ThEoRy

Reaction score
You don't even need a bag you can use a half hotel pan with the stone and water in it then wrap the whole thing tightly with heavy duty plastic wrap. That way you don't waste a bag either.

Dusty

Reaction score
You don't even need a bag you can use a half hotel pan with the stone and water in it then wrap the whole thing tightly with heavy duty plastic wrap. That way you don't waste a bag either.
That would also work.

I just had another thought, sous-vide stones would also be good way of transporting permasoakers

454Casull

Reaction score
A sous vide machine does not pull vacuum. A vacuum pump (in a bag sealer, or a chamber) does.

tkern

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely going to try this. Rounding off the edges would probably be a good idea.

karloevaristo

Reaction score
nice... and I agree that you don't have to put it in a vacuum bag if it's a chamber type vacuum machine... just put it in a pan with water and you're all good...

Awesome idea! :)