Quantcast

Copper layers in cladding

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone on here has experience with knives that have copper layers in their cladding. There’s been some really neat looking examples in the past few weeks of small custom makers using this material.
My two questions are....
1). Isn’t copper reactive? What’s the patina look like and is it easy to remove?
2.) Does the copper effect the taste of your ingredients

Thanks for your input

JoBone

Jobone_craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first eyed a Saji rainbow Damascus, I was concerned about the reactive nature of it. However, when I was in DC visiting district cutlery, there was an old one that was waiting a resharpening. It aged beautifully and I now own one of his 210 gyutos.

Like all food cut with a cool knife, it tastes better. Other than that, the flavor isn’t changed from the copper (at least as much as I can tell).

I encourage the support of all those small custom makers, hit the buy button !!!

timos

Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
ive got a blade of that gregg dion cu mai steel and am eagerly waiting to see what its gonna be like. I am also interested to hear others user experience.

Slim278

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to know what the patina is like pull an old penny out of your pocket. Pre 1957 are 100% and until 1982 are around 95% alloy.

Latest posts