Copper layers in cladding

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone on here has experience with knives that have copper layers in their cladding. There’s been some really neat looking examples in the past few weeks of small custom makers using this material.
My two questions are....
1). Isn’t copper reactive? What’s the patina look like and is it easy to remove?
2.) Does the copper effect the taste of your ingredients

Thanks for your input

When I first eyed a Saji rainbow Damascus, I was concerned about the reactive nature of it. However, when I was in DC visiting district cutlery, there was an old one that was waiting a resharpening. It aged beautifully and I now own one of his 210 gyutos.

Like all food cut with a cool knife, it tastes better. Other than that, the flavor isn’t changed from the copper (at least as much as I can tell).

I encourage the support of all those small custom makers, hit the buy button !!!

I have the Saji rainbow nakiri and bunka. Both are a little over 1.5 years old and I've used them regularly. No hint of patina (other than a little on the exposed blue #2 core).
IMG_8029.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

Back