Cornmeal anyone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is currently about 14F/-10C, rather gray and overcast, and I'm suffering from a bit of covid fatigue. The times and weather plus a few paragraph's in Bill Buford's Heat started me thinking about cornmeal in all its manifestations: polenta, grits, cornbread, arepa, hushpuppies, spoonbread,... I know there are numerous other examples that span the globe I just listed the ones I am most familiar with. In any event, I think it is the basis for some great comfort foods and I'm looking for your recipes and culinary experiences focused on foods where cornmeal is the primary ingredient. If you have recommendations for great sources, I only know of Anson Mills, I would appreciate that as well. Thanks!

If you want to spend some money, getchee some corn from Geechie Boy (or Glenn Roberts). When not in the mood for the fancy stuff, I most often buy mine from the Old Mill of Guilford which is a few miles from my house.

Thanks, I had heard of Guilford but not Geechie Boy. I gather you think their cornmeals are a significant step up from Guilford or Anson Mills? Is there anything you particularly recommend among their grits and cornmeals?

We make jalapeno cornbread from Lamb's grist mill converse Texas cornmeal a Texas local cornmeal. I think we also use one out of Dripping Springs Texas. We always to try to buy local cornmeal. It tastes better to me than the generic grocery store version.

FYI, Geechie Boy recently changed its name to Marsh Hen Mill. I have no idea why, but I can guess. I have used their superb white grits for some years and the smell of those grits cooking is like the smell of fresh corn.

FYI, Geechie Boy recently changed its name to Marsh Hen Mill. I have no idea why, but I can guess. I have used their superb white grits for some years and the smell of those grits cooking is like the smell of fresh corn.

IMO Geechie Boy is a much cooler name, Marsh Hen Mill is kind of bland, but I guess it could have been looked at as cultural appropriation.

You know the difference between grits and polenta?

$10/serving 😋
I think it depends where you are. As far as I know, polenta in Italy for Italians is just grits. But I've never been there.

Back