Corona Cooks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Underpaid. Times where coffee an Advil and unsold pastry was my meal for the day. Cold one at the end of the shift was my reward. What a ****** job. Somehow, I miss it. Almost a curse that my love for cooking and providing a meal to others is a passion, because somehow I'm trying to make my way back to this life.

To all the chefs on this forum, wishing you all the best of luck through these tough times. Haven't been a member of KKF long, but feels like I'd go to battle with you all on the line, any day.

As long as Chef doesn't just watch me while I'm trying not to drown and do nothing but watch while expo'ing on a good day. Because ticket hand holding > not drowning. And heaven forbid someone gets pulled from another station that's dead to help...

LOL

Worked at a spot where we'd rotate expo and a lot of staff was green. Everyone loved when I worked expo bc I constantly stepped off and helped stations. Not even to prevent drowning, but just to stay ahead.

Anyone starting to worry about rust almost a year out? Been selling cars for a bit and it's starting to feel like a career change instead of something temporary 😅

Keep those carbons oiled if not using.
Are people buying cars? I visited dealers, Subaru, Toyota, Honda. Seemed pretty slow. Was going to order a new Crosstrek 6-speed manual. Had given up finding manual Forrester. Even mainland sites, plenty CVT trans for sale no manuals. Out of blue found one on Chaigslist. Bought it. 2016 Forrester 6-speed. 39,000 miles. 2K under bluebook.
Had Subaru change all fluids , no need brake pads yet. Put new tires on it.

It is fun to drive over Pali & H3. Subaru's are good when it rains up there. It climbs over Mt. Range with ease in 5 gear. Just only 3K RPM with 2.5L boxer engine.

IMG_20201021_155411908.jpg

IMG_20201021_155535175.jpg

IMG_20201021_155640782_HDR.jpg

I actually meant me getting rusty 😅, but good call on the oil.

Changing of seasons in the PNW tends to be busy, people will literally get something for a potential 3 days of snow. Then want something cool when it gets warm again. Nice find 😎

Anyone starting to worry about rust almost a year out? Been selling cars for a bit and it's starting to feel like a career change instead of something temporary 😅

Same. It's gonna be rough going back. Ive been busy setting up my home kitchen and keeping myself busy cooking almost like a real kitchen but its not the same.

Ive actually been fortunate in being able to enjoy what I can of this year. Lets just say Ive been working on myself. Almost feel guilty or dirty but I dont want to go back yet. But alas, I know I need to 😞

Between the pandemic, and then some surgery, I was out of the kitchen for quite some time this year. It is like riding a bike, as soon as the tickets start coming in, your muscle memory takes over. I did notice that I did need to make more lists than I usually do for prep. Wasnt as good at scanning the coolers and knowing immediately what needed to be prepped. The biggest re adjustment was the physical demands. Working a 9 hour shift in a kitchen is grueling. I was muscle sore for the first few days back.

Between the pandemic, and then some surgery, I was out of the kitchen for quite some time this year. It is like riding a bike, as soon as the tickets start coming in, your muscle memory takes over. I did notice that I did need to make more lists than I usually do for prep. Wasnt as good at scanning the coolers and knowing immediately what needed to be prepped. The biggest re adjustment was the physical demands. Working a 9 hour shift in a kitchen is grueling. I was muscle sore for the first few days back.
Similar situation as I got hit with some health issues that knocked me out of the kitchen a little prior to pandemic hitting, which in turn made things difficult to get back when I was closing in on recovery. I know I'm rusty w the knife work and/or firing orders if I had to go back now.

Ironically, the time away is when I got into kitchen knives and became active on forums haha. Before, I was happy with a hand-me-down Hiromoto a former cook gave me and a santoku my mentor gave me. I wish I had those knives back now, especially the santoku. Part of me wishes I never got into knives either haha, as it's taken the place of some of the time I would've dedicated towards improving my cooking skills.

Anyway as I've stated here before, good luck to all you cooks out there during these trying times. Continue to crush service 🍻 , hopefully I'll be back on the line soon in some capacity.

I'm out of work for the time being. I've been quarantining the past 4 days. Results back. I'm positive for Coronavirus.
Hang in there man.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you man.

Such a crappy situation over there.

wishing you all the best!

Welp after a full year out they pulled me back in. Figured nows a good time to get back in and work off the ring rust while the offers still there. Sunday was my 1st day back and ended up doing 13 hrs. Lets just say it was rough. Today 11 1/2. Getting thrown straight in.

Back