Could you guys pls check this TF Maboroshi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then why does my PlayStation just work out of the box? I didn't have to take it to an electronics engineer just to play Fortnite.
Great to hear that you are capable of connecting a playstation without the help pf an engineer, however I don't think it's a good comparison to a knife.

It's largely a cultural thing, every craftsman is a master of his own specialty and will not easily venture in another one's territory.

Great to hear that you are capable of connecting a playstation without the help pf an engineer, however I don't think it's a good comparison to a knife.

It's largely a cultural thing, every craftsman is a master of his own specialty and will not easily venture in another one's territory.
🤷‍♂️
Sony isn't Japanese?

So, I've been thinking about how easy it is for me, a relative newbie, to 'fix' this knife. I have a Naniwa 400, 1000, and 3000, as well as a Belgian brocken 6000. Suppose I want to only use these stones, how much time will it cost to fix the TF? I could ask the shop owner but something tells me he doesn't want to put the effort in, or doesn't really understand the issue.

And then, suppose I fixed the knife, how good of a cutter can it potentially become?

I woudl start there, if he has any interest in knives he should at least be willing to sort it out for a small or no fee. If not, vote with your feet.

So, I've been thinking about how easy it is for me, a relative newbie, to 'fix' this knife. I have a Naniwa 400, 1000, and 3000, as well as a Belgian brocken 6000. Suppose I want to only use these stones, how much time will it cost to fix the TF? I could ask the shop owner but something tells me he doesn't want to put the effort in, or doesn't really understand the issue.

And then, suppose I fixed the knife, how good of a cutter can it potentially become?
Is there actually anything wrong with the knife or are you just going by what you are being told by the forum, looking at your pictures. Light very often plays tricks on the eye. You should be able to tell if what some tell you are actual problems.

Is there actually anything wrong with the knife or are you just going by what you are being told by the forum, looking at your pictures.

TF provides a factory grind (Kiriha) which is good for practical use. The expectation is the knives can be finished on stones for those who want to take it up to another level.

On another note, the issues raised on this forum are not issues that they receive from domestic users.

Is there actually anything wrong with the knife or are you just going by what you are being told by the forum, looking at your pictures. Light very often plays tricks on the eye. You should be able to tell if what some tell you are actual problems.
To be honest I haven't found the time to go over the posts and cross-check them with my knife. So at this point I'm not sure to what extent the knife is okay or needs serious work. That's why I had asked the question, because if people would say 'don't bother' it will save me some time. Appreciate the remark though.

I like the profile and the weight - so I can see myself using this Maboroshi. When I first started considering a new gyuto I would have never thought to start a project, and redo a knife myself. I thought just get some new knife and be done with it. However, I have now held a few knives in my hand with excellent fit and finish but they just didn't do it for me. So that's why I am now contemplating how much work it will be to make the TF completely 'mine'.

TF provides a factory grind (Kiriha) which is good for practical use. The expectation is the knives can be finished on stones for those who want to take it up to another level.

On another note, the issues raised on this forum are not issues that they receive from domestic users.
without even going into different markets and expectations. My question is specifically about the OP knife, not TF in general. I understand that after reading these forums one might be very cautious about TF knives, especially when ordering sight unseen. Once you have the knife in hand, you should be able to see obvious issues. Some of the pictures posted are not ideal, as can be seen from totally opposite opinions from experienced members. OP should be able to tell if perceived problems that were pointed out are real or a trick of the light. Often it seems that people bash or praise TF without ever owning or using an example. It also often seems that people would rather take advice of the forum over believing their own eyes. Certain things such as major faults in the grind should be pretty obvious even for a novice once the knife is in hand. Minor issues are harder, but for this particular knife some members are seeing major over grinds or holes and this should be easy to check.

Since you don’t seem inclined to rely on the seller, just take that knife to the stones already! Fretting in between just allows for another TF bashing thread. 😜

You can see unevenness in the sharpened edge. Usually the bevel will barely show in an overgrind and will be quite large with an undergrind.

If you are capable of maintaining an even bevel via sharpening, it is very easy to figure out the evenness of the edge grind at least.

l saw one video where the person draws a line with a pencil on the bevel before sharpening. That may help identify any problems.

Andrew at forty.knives just posted a video of a Maboroshi that he just finished. I think he does great work, so that’s an option for any knife in need of a tune up.

If you get it you might find it’s your guilty pleasure... waking up at three in the morning when no one’s looking to have yourself at a mirepoix.

@Carl Kotte jk
1602577581834.png

Latest posts

Back