Covid: the shape of things to come

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda gave up on this thread a while ago since it's a bit of a waste of limited energy... but I figured I'd add a few points:

-Bringing up the idea to limit population in a discussion on COVID is rather weak. COVID mostly takes older and weaker people out of the population, usually already beyond the breeding age. Thus it won't put a dent into the population. If you want a disease that really cuts down on population growth, look at AIDS, which hits exactly the people who are doing the breeding, and gets transferred across generations, thereby further reducing their breeding potential.
For what it's worth, in general diseases have usually been rather weak at limiting population, with a handful of exceptions like the plague and other heavy hitters when introduced to a population with 0 immunity. Traditionally the most effective means to reduce population is plain old simple mass starvation.

-In the last year and a half I often saw it being reassuringly mentioned that only people with comorbidities are at risk. I'm not sure people realize that more than 50% of the US population is in at least one of the comorbidity categories.

-I see a lot of debate about 'which sources to trust' / how to interpret the science. When it comes to regular media... regardless of it's political background, I'd say "don't acsribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence". While there's no doubt some 'selectiveness' and bias in what gets reported by who and what's not, and how it's presented, the sad reality is that across the journalistic spectrum frankly almost no one has even the slightest clue how to read scientific articles, how to interpret them, and what is written in them. This isn't new; this has been a problem long before COVID became a thing and people suddenly started taking an interest in scientific literature.

-A major problem plagueing pretty much all research about 'population effects' is that they're non-experimental. Meaning you have a lot of other variables polluting the data. This comes into play when comparing countries, states, but also different periods in time. So presenting almost anything coming out of a non-experimental study as fact - no matter how much statistics you throw at it - is always going to be problematic at best. It's just that in some situations we simply don't have any alternative.
A good example is for example comparing data of now to last summer. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that people's behavior this summer is vastly different to the behavior last summer; people are pretty much 'done' with COVID, most of the fear is gone, and people behaving different accordingly. How much of a difference does that make when you try to compare the effectiveness of vaccines? We don't know. No one knows.
Similar problem when comparing regions or countries. It's really hard to say what effect different policies have when other factors such as population density might either magnify, dampen, or completely reverse the result.

-The best 'data' we have is still the testing done on vaccines and what not in their preliminary phases simply because they are at least properly done randomized double-blind studies with control groups and large enough sample sizes, thereby cutting out a lot of the pollution. If you dig around enough you should find most of these at the medical authorities.

-I hate to say this since it sounds arrogant, but trying to interpret statistical analysis for a layperson without any training in the matter is dubious at best. Even within the scientific community many people doing it aren't necessarily all that good at it, and there's often a lot of caveats and limitations to the data and how you can interpret it and how you can externalize it. This also comes back to the second point, where most 'normal media' frankly doesn't have a clue about statistics and research, so they're unable to critically reflect upon what they're reading. It's very easy to make a statistical analysis that looks good to the average person, has awesome significance values, yet is completely meaningless simply because of flaws in the design. Again, this doesn't have to be on purpose; it can simply be an oversight, or due to a limitation that's impossible to avoid simply because the research cannot be done in an experimental fashion.

-Just because I saw it mentioned once and it's my pet peeve... Statistically significant means something very different than what it means in daily language (where it's treated as a 'noticably large effect'). When something is statistically significant, this means that 'the chances of this result happening to random chance, when following the normal bell curve distribution, are lower than the arbitrary cutoff treshold we picked'. It says nothing about the effect size.
Due to how this is calculated, even the smallest effect becomes statistically significant when sample sizes get larger, just like lower sample size will lead to statistical insignificance no matter what. The usual measure of effect size tends to be R², and is often more informative in how important a variable is.
But when the research isn't experimental there's a ton of other hurdles that tend to muck things up here.

-Because there's so many limitations with a lot of the research, using any single one study to make a point is extremely problematic. For all you know 21 research groups researched the same thing with a P<0.05 treshhold, and the one that actually got a positive result published it, while the others just moved on because they had nothing to publish. This is why stuff needs to be reviewed within the field and why results need to be corroborated. Academical consensus takes time, and doesn't come from one article or one experiment.
Just looking around to find a random article that might agree with what you're trying to say might be succesful if you're just trying to work your way through a bachelor's thesis in the laziest way possible, but it's not good science. Picking and choosing articles à la carte is just not how you get to the truth.

The only consistent conclusion of all of the studies is a recommendation that someone should pay the author to do more studies.

:cool:

-Bringing up the idea to limit population in a discussion on COVID is rather weak. COVID mostly takes older and weaker people out of the population, usually already beyond the breeding age. Thus it won't put a dent into the population. If you want a disease that really cuts down on population growth, look at AIDS, which hits exactly the people who are doing the breeding, and gets transferred across generations, thereby further reducing their breeding potential.
For what it's worth, in general diseases have usually been rather weak at limiting population, with a handful of exceptions like the plague and other heavy hitters when introduced to a population with 0 immunity. Traditionally the most effective means to reduce population is plain old simple mass starvation.

i agree with everything you said in your post, but CoViD as a population control mechanism isn't what i was talking about at all.

Reactions: ian
The only consistent conclusion of all of the studies is a recommendation that someone should pay the author to do more studies.

:cool:
I know it's a joke but gonna respond anyway... ;)

While it's true that the 'further investigation of this subject is needed'-cliché is still very much alive, the necessity for money is usually not so much for researchers. That's just marginal cost, and often already covered by a faculty position when it's someone from a university. On top of that there's a sizable amount of cheap slave labor in most education institutions in the form of phd candidates, graduates, etc. When it comes to human studies the main cost is in the money required to incentivize large enough groups of people essentially play guinea pig to get a sizable and representable sample size.
Of course this varies a lot per field. When you're doing experimental physics research there's often a far higher capital requirement for 'stuff'. Experimental fusion reactors and particle colliders don't exactly grow on trees.

Same issue for developing medicine and vaccines. The production cost is often trivial. Where most of the money goes is in the piles of dead monkeys and all the human test subjects required to get a drug certified. To make matters worse, the few drugs that actually become marketable also have to cover all the times this process fails to result in a profitable drug or treatment.

i agree with everything you said in your post, but CoViD as a population control mechanism isn't what i was talking about at all.
Fair, but even if for the sake of argument you ignore the question of whether our current population is actually unsustainable or not, and to which extent we can increase the carrying capacity of our planet through science and expanse beyond Earth... I don't think a proposal to downsize our current population to one that is only 1/3 of the current size has any answers that are practical or ethical.
Interesting thought experiment maybe, and I agree that it might solve a good amount of our environmental problems, but unless there's a significant global nuclear exchange I just don't see this happening.

Interested to know how other places are doing
with this Delta variety. We were done with deaths for quite a while. Now almost all deaths
are older folks with medical conditions. Brought in 200 medical person's to help.

Governor just shutdown large gatherings indoors & outdoors. Couple days ago he asked tourist not to visit Hawaii now. Schools are open some cases in schools but trace testing
is good they want to stay open, I don't blame
them.

Governor's actions will put more people out of work. Many had gotten back to jobs. It seemed like life getting back to normal. All the mainland tourist had to prove vaccine.

Expanse beyond Earth not even a factor with population. The cost to put anything in Space is prohibitive. This isn't science fiction.
Our own solar system Mars may support a few at great cost.

Outer solar systems with planets maybe in goldilocks zone. Unmanned light sail probes may get there in centuries.

We have to take care of this planet. Spaceship Earth is our home.

Sorry just looked it up for anyone who cares.
Fastest spacecraft New Horizons unmanned probe passed Pluto in July 2015 at 56,628 km/h or 35,187 mph. At that speed would take probe about 26 million years to reach Kepler-4526 from Earth. Our blue marble tilted on its axis on elliptical orbit around the Sun. Spinning
Every 24 hours from night into day. Unless very far north or south because of tilt long days or night depending on season.

In our lifetime amazing diversity of life. Wild animals example big cats are faced with extinction in the wild. Fortunately scientist
who care are fighting back. All of this is human population expanding into wild animal territory.

Just 50+ years ago steel hull boats with explosive harpoons were wiping out the whales
Just a second in time. A great testimony to the
Intelligence of Homo Sapiens.

Again apologize for long winded post not uncommon at all last week on this thread.
Just emphasize importance of taking care
of our planet it's not just about us two legged hominids & how we feed ourselves.

It’s so funny because it’s so sad and true

The virus will forever mutate and never go away….

😂😂😂😂😂

And now for a little levity, something completely different:

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO’S ‘WHO’S BEEN VACCINATED?’
😆
😆
😆

Bud: ‘You can’t come in here!’
Lou: ‘Why not?’
Bud: ‘Well because you’re unvaccinated.’
Lou: ‘But I’m not sick.’
Bud: ‘It doesn’t matter.’
Lou: ‘Well, why does that guy get to go in?’
Bud: ‘Because he’s vaccinated.’
Lou: ‘But he’s sick!’
Bud: ‘It’s alright. Everyone in here is vaccinated.’
Lou: ‘Wait a minute. Are you saying everyone in there is vaccinated?’
Bud: ‘Yes.’
Lou: ‘So then why can’t I go in there if everyone is vaccinated?’
Bud: ‘Because you’ll make them sick.’
Lou: ‘How will I make them sick if I’m NOT sick and they’re vaccinated.’
Bud: ‘Because you’re unvaccinated.’
Lou: ‘But they’re vaccinated.’
Bud: ‘But they can still get sick.’
Lou: ‘So what the heck does the vaccine do?’
Bud: ‘It vaccinates.’
Lou: ‘So vaccinated people can’t spread covid?’
Bud: ‘Oh no. They can spread covid just as easily as an unvaccinated person.’
Lou: ‘I don’t even know what I’m saying anymore. Look. I’m not sick.
Bud: ‘Ok.’
Lou: ‘And the guy you let in IS sick.’
Bud: ‘That’s right.’
Lou: ‘And everybody in there can still get sick even though they’re vaccinated.’
Bud: ‘Certainly.’
Lou: ‘So why can’t I go in again?’
Lou: ‘I’m not asking who’s vaccinated or not!’
Bud: ‘I’m just telling you how it is.’
Lou: ‘Nevermind. I’ll just put on my mask.’
Bud: ‘That’s fine.’
Lou: ‘Now I can go in?’
Bud: ‘Absolutely not?’
Lou: ‘But I have a mask!’
Bud: ‘Doesn’t matter.’
Lou: ‘I was able to come in here yesterday with a mask.’
Bud: ‘I know.’
Lou: So why can’t I come in here today with a mask? ….If you say ‘because I’m unvaccinated’ again, I’ll break your arm.’
Bud: ‘Take it easy buddy.’
Lou: ‘So the mask is no good anymore.’
Bud: ‘No, it’s still good.’
Lou: ‘But I can’t come in?’
Bud: ‘Correct.’
Lou: ‘Why not?’
Lou: ‘But the mask prevents the germs from getting out.’
Bud: ‘Yes, but people can still catch your germs.’
Lou: ‘But they’re all vaccinated.’
Bud: ‘Yes, but they can still get sick.’
Lou: ‘But I’m not sick!!’
Bud: ‘You can still get them sick.’
Lou: ‘So then masks don’t work!’
Bud: ‘Masks work quite well.’
Lou: ‘So how in the heck can I get vaccinated people sick if I’m not sick and masks work?’
Bud: ‘Third base.’
And...scene...
Copied from a friend.

i'm optimistic about universal vaccines for influenza and coronavirus. or at least broad, predictive, close-to-universal. even if it meant having to get like 6 vaccinations per year for various things, i'd probably be open to that if it meant never getting sick with some bs respiratory infection.

Sorry just looked it up for anyone who cares.
Fastest spacecraft New Horizons unmanned probe passed Pluto in July 2015 at 56,628 km/h or 35,187 mph. At that speed would take probe about 26 million years to reach Kepler-4526 from Earth. Our blue marble tilted on its axis on elliptical orbit around the Sun. Spinning
Every 24 hours from night into day. Unless very far north or south because of tilt long days or night depending on season.

In our lifetime amazing diversity of life. Wild animals example big cats are faced with extinction in the wild. Fortunately scientist
who care are fighting back. All of this is human population expanding into wild animal territory.

Just 50+ years ago steel hull boats with explosive harpoons were wiping out the whales
Just a second in time. A great testimony to the
Intelligence of Homo Sapiens.

Again apologize for long winded post not uncommon at all last week on this thread.
Just emphasize importance of taking care
of our planet it's not just about us two legged hominids & how we feed ourselves.

I care!

Not quite correct... New horizons is extremely fast but I believe the Parker Solar Probe is the fastest spacecraft. - 148km/s. One hundred and forty eight kilometres per second 😮😮

It will be getting faster with more gravity assists from Venus! There was Helios B... it reach 70km/s in 1976. Basically anything to do with the sun requires tremendous speeds!

Then there is Voyager-1. It should hold a special place in our hearts... it is travelling extremely fast - 16.9km/s. More significantly, it was the first spacecraft to reach interstellar space (in mid-late 2012). It is spectacular - a 43 year mission. Old faithful is expected to keep marching on until 2025 when its power reserves will not be sufficient to power any of the instruments.

🙂

Not quite correct... New horizons is extremely fast but I believe the Parker Solar Probe is the fastest spacecraft. - 148km/s. One hundred and forty eight kilometres per second 😮😮
This is still only 0.0005C (one two thousandth the speed of light). It would take this probe around 8000 years to get to the closest star (Proxima Centauri).

This is still only 0.0005C (one two thousandth the speed of light). It would take this probe around 8000 years to get to the closest star (Proxima Centauri).

True! It underscores the importance of protecting Mothership Earth and her children...

The scale of space is mind-bogglingly large. It underpins the Fermi paradox. I tend to think that civilisation collapse is a good explanation for the Great Filter. Developing deep technology to span the scales of space likely takes a backseat to putting out fires that advanced civilisation keep inadvertently creating... of course... based on a dataset of N=1! Advanced life might be one of those "flash in the pan" type events.

Even if in a utopia... I dont know if the physics really support travelling much further than several solar systems within timescales that humans are used to engineering? Reaching the next galaxy seems completely improbable.

On the other hand.... at 148km/s, Sydney to LA would only take 81.4 seconds 😋

I know it's a joke but gonna respond anyway... ;)

Same issue for developing medicine and vaccines. The production cost is often trivial. Where most of the money goes is in the piles of dead monkeys and all the human test subjects required to get a drug certified. To make matters worse, the few drugs that actually become marketable also have to cover all the times this process fails to result in a profitable drug or treatment.

In the reality of pre-clinical drug development monkeys are not used anywhere near as often as many people think, animal studies are not that costly anyway nor is it common to pay test subjects (as in humans) beyond phase 1. The vast amount of the money spent on clinical development of new drugs is in man hours, paying medics/hospitals for the work involved and paying the manpower hungry beast of quality control (verifying data) and study oversight.

what seemed already obvious now appears to be showing in study results;
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/27/health/delta-covid-19-hospital-risk-study-wellness/index.html
Risk of hospitalization doubles with the delta variant, but more importantly; vaccination is key to protect people and to suppress the faster and higher peak delta will cause. Now that Pfizer/Biontech mRNA vaccine is fully approved you'd think there will be a sharp uptick in vacc rate in the US but the few interviews I saw show folks are simply changing to another reason not to, ranging from the claimed 'magnetising' effect (WOW I did not see that nonsense coming) to the predicted 'long term effects'.

"Our analysis highlights that in the absence of vaccination, any Delta outbreaks will impose a greater burden on healthcare than an Alpha epidemic," Dr. Anne Presanis, one of the study's lead authors and senior statistician at the University of Cambridge, said in a news release Friday.
"Getting fully vaccinated is crucial for reducing an individual's risk of symptomatic infection with Delta in the first place, and, importantly, of reducing a Delta patient's risk of severe illness and hospital admission," Presanis said.

full article:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00475-8/fulltext

Now that Pfizer/Biontech mRNA vaccine is fully approved you'd think there will be a sharp uptick in vacc rate in the US but the few interviews I saw show folks are simply changing to another reason not to, ranging from the claimed 'magnetising' effect (WOW I did not see that nonsense coming) to the predicted 'long term effects'.
Keep on dreaming :( Once people have made up their mind, it takes an earthquake (or the death of their spouse) to change their mind.

yeah I saw some folks being interviewed, the interviewer asked if they changed their mind now the vaccine is fully approved, the responses were clear....'nope'

yeah I saw some folks being interviewed, the interviewer asked if they changed their mind now the vaccine is fully approved, the responses were clear....'nope'
"It's not FDA approved" simply moves to "I'm not letting the GOVERNMENT tell me what to put in my body!" (goes off to eat handfuls of horse dewormer tablets)

People are free to not get vaccinated, but people shouldn't get to endanger others for their (objectively stupid and bad) decision. No bars, no restaurants, no gyms, no theaters, no clubs, no shops, none of that. No school, no jobs where you share the air with other people, no freaking way.
I agree, "people shouldn't get to endanger others".

A friend of mine, vaccinated, changed my opinion on vaccines and tests: In my country vaccinated people are freed of getting tested to get entrance to restaurants, bars, concerts, etc.. I doubt that the majority knows that they're only freed of getting tested for a maximum of 270 days (depending on the vaccine; most or at least many people here get vaccinated not because they choose a lower chance of infection or milder consequences once infected but purely out of laziness because they do not want to get tested every 48 hours). After those max. 270 days you need another shot or get tested like all the unvaccinated people. My friend said that because of breakthroughs of the virus among vaccinated people everybody should get tested, irrelevant of the vaccination status. Those vaccinated need not fear, they're "protected" (whatever that means), right?! But those vaccinated can carry the virus and spread it, pass it on to unvaccinated people without knowing. Unvaccinated people usually get tested frequently, the chance of spreading the virus therefore is rather low, because an infection should get detected early. Vaccinated people carrying the virus pass it on, they will probably never even know that they have or had the virus. But still vaccinated people are and were a danger to others.

My friend and myself included, we do not want to say one is better than the other, and who are we to say that vaccines work or do not work, same for tests. We're no experts. But it seems logical to me that frequent testing of all population, vaccinated or not, is the only way to control this sh*t. And that is only true for 1 country, leaving aside international travelling for whatever reason... But as long as there are stupid people out there cheating, choosing not to get tested, faking test results (I have seen this with my own 2 eyes), we're stuck in this sh*t. :mad: And yeah, I am fed up with this sh*t. This is just another divider of society. I have seen friendships and even families break apart because of different opinions on the virus, tests, vaccines, restrictions, and so on...

And regarding the efficiency of current vaccines: I am not convinced that our current vaccines are the remedy. I really do not think so. But they are what we currently have. We have nothing better at the moment...

From what I've seen on news some people who have gotten shots can still carry this Delta variety, but symptoms are minor. Even seniors.

Here 95% of hospitalization are non vaccine.
See interviews on local TV with statements like
I'm not going to get vaccine that is the virus they are putting in your body.

The demand for oxygen is critical place that makes it in the Islands can't keep up.

Government just passed law that you have to show proof of vaccine for many places like eating out where you remove your mask.

Operations agree to temp. check & vac. picture on phone. Nobody wants another shutdown.
That was brutal for Hawaii if things don't get better than a bad month of August with high counts and deaths everyday.

Germany got the 4th wave. Infection rate grew fom below 10 to over 80 in the last weeks. With 60 percent vaccinated 80 is not much, others are up to some 100. The last days the daily increase became lower, so we may reach the top without much trouble. (fingers crossed) This needs some more days to become a reliable trend.

Most schools are open and people return to life. I am astonished.

Will eat some vegetarian paella in a cafe which supports disabled people to participate the society (german: inklusion). And I never get why vegetarians use names of great dishes when they cook something anything???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back