Covid: the shape of things to come

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, now i have hyposmia. some smells are completely gone, and others are harder to detect.

before covid existed, i had complete anosmia from some kind of viral upper respiratory infection. vodka and whisky were the same. vodka didn't even have ethanol flavor. just the chemesthetic sensations of cooling and irritation.

my olfaction eventually recovered, but i could never tell if it came back 100%. it's not like i took some fancy olfactory test before and after. laugh if you want (i did as well at my own expense), but it honestly caused me stress and anxiety (and still does sometimes).

so now it's that fuϲking bullꮪhit all over again. lol :(

i would have totally taken paxlovid to arrest replication before my olfaction was affected. it seems totally possible that it could reduce risks of such ongoing disease side effects. i just didn't know it was available, and i wasn't thinking straight a few days ago. drats.

me personally i think people need to decide for themselves if they should take the vaxx or not.
if you dont. dont. easy as that.

if you think you need it. take it!! for me, this **** is over. long gone. and its the same for everyone else here too.

personally i see no reason at all to take it. i mean since the oslo incident in dec 2021 it was proven that the vaxx dont do jack **** for omicron. so why even bother.
it even seems it has the reverse effect on omicrom. that is you are more likely to not get if you are unvaxxed. lol. what a ****ing joke this all is. i'm not preventing anyone from taking it though.

good vaxx though. you can still get the disease and still spread it when vaxxed. who the **** makes this **** up really?

me personally i think people need to decide for themselves if they should take the vaxx or not.
if you dont. dont. easy as that.

if you think you need it. take it!! for me, this **** is over. long gone. and its the same for everyone else here too.

personally i see no reason at all to take it. i mean since the oslo incident in dec 2021 it was proven that the vaxx dont do jack **** for omicron. so why even bother.
it even seems it has the reverse effect on omicrom. that is you are more likely to not get if you are unvaxxed. lol. what a ****ing joke this all is. i'm not preventing anyone from taking it though.

good vaxx though. you can still get the disease and still spread it when vaxxed. who the **** makes this **** up really?

What's so surprising about evasion via mutation? Basic selection pressure biology 101 stuff. Coronaviruses are pretty good at it. So is influenza.

Doesn't mean vaxxing isn't helpful in general. Even for SARS-CoV-2.

IMHO I wouldn't bother getting the current vaccines since omicron variants dominate now. But it was a good idea before, and it will probably be a good idea again with updates.

The mRNA vax platform owns.

I am actively contagious and symptomatic. Also still testing positive.

but many people have no smell after 6 months or so. then they still have it. easy as that. they just takes test samples where its not at basically.

What's so surprising about evasion via mutation? Basic selection pressure biology 101 stuff. Coronaviruses are pretty good at it. So is influenza.

Doesn't mean vaxxing isn't helpful in general. Even for SARS-CoV-2.

IMHO I wouldn't bother getting the current vaccines since omicron variants dominate now. But it was a good idea before, and it will probably be a good idea again with updates.

The mRNA vax platform owns.

exactly. i said the same thing when i first heard about the virus from china. mutations. no vaxx will work. i read medicine in school.

to be honest i dont know if it was ever a good idea to inject some experimental chemical that was banned for human use for 25 years or so. since it was too dangerous. and where the manufacturer

but many people have no smell after 6 months or so. then they still have it. easy as that. they just takes test samples where its not at basically.

The mechanism isn't well understood honestly, but I don't think it works like that.

I.e. even if it can persist in the body, I don't think that eliminating it with the wave of a magic wand is likely to rapidly resolve olfactory issues in "long CoViD" context. Likewise, I don't think resolution of symptoms is in and of itself a strong indicator of complete absence of viral material in the body.

There's damage done by cell death, inflammation, altered gene expression, etc. It's an issue that takes time to resolve. And luck to completely resolve.

Last edited:
Better late than never I hope

PXL_20220701_225113308.jpg

Last edited:
Better late than never I hope
It will get better. Main idea is not to panic. Even if it doesn't come back fully, it will be OK, and it will get better. I panicked too when I originally lost smell and taste fully after getting one of the original variants. Taste came back fully at least enough that it doesn't bother or affect my life at all. Smell took longer and ultimately is not fully back or not the same, but it is OK. You will be fine, that's the most important idea to remember.

The risk of myocarditis after mRNA vaccination was 8 times and 30 times greater than unvaccinated control groups for BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech) and mRNA-1273 (Moderna), respectively.

The largest association for myocarditis following the Moderna jab was 44 times higher risk for persons aged 18 to 24 years.

As for the Pfizer shot, in relation to the same age group, the risk was 13 times higher.

These are the age groups with a 99%+ likelihood of recover with zero vaccinations.

However, it could be advantageous to use an antiviral immediately upon suspicion of infection in order to limit any possible symptoms and negative effects from the virus and of course to expedite recover and lesson duration.

However, for these younger people simply using zinc, vit D, and vit C maybe be more than sufficient except for in rare cases.

Also, keep in mind that J&J was linked to blood clots along with AstraZeneca and were removed from the general market as they are not safe and carry a great risk with their use.

Age and sex-specific risks of myocarditis and pericarditis following Covid-19 messenger RNA vaccines.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-31401-5#Tab2
This is the peer reviewed study in full

@inferno here's one take on it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willia...nduces-long-lasting-symptoms/?sh=301c18bc3f03
If the virus does not directly infect these neurons, why does the loss of smell or disordered smell last for so long? Another finding suggests that the key signals that regulate gene expression in the olfactory nerve cell associated with the ability of the neuron to respond to odorants are altered. The process of signal transduction involves several genes important for detecting smells. RNA-sequencing of hamster nasal tissues revealed that Covid-19 infection downregulates, or reduces the activity, of several genes involved in perceiving different odors. Researchers hypothesized that reorganization of the olfactosome disrupts key transcription factors that determine what genes are expressed and when. These changes then alter the orientation and subsequent expression of olfactory genes, which persist even after elimination of the virus forming a sense of “nuclear memory” that delays sensory restoration.

The risk of myocarditis after mRNA vaccination was 8 times and 30 times greater than unvaccinated control groups for BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech) and mRNA-1273 (Moderna), respectively.

eric, i do think myocarditis risk is somewhat concerning. but for me personally, long covid (chiefly olfactory and cognitive issues) is of much greater concern.

that's why my personal strategy is:
  • do what i can to avoid getting it in the first place!
  • continue getting updated mRNA vaccines if...
    • they're updated and shown to help with current variants (transmission and/or symptom severity)
    • AND evidence of the risk of side effects doesn't become overly concerning
  • take antivirals or whatever's available at first sign of infection if i do get it again
so far, i'm comfortable with risks of side effects from mRNA vaccines. just waiting on an updated release before i bother boosting.

Last edited:

The largest association for myocarditis following the Moderna jab was 44 times higher risk for persons aged 18 to 24 years.

As for the Pfizer shot, in relation to the same age group, the risk was 13 times higher.

These are the age groups with a 99%+ likelihood of recover with zero vaccinations.

However, it could be advantageous to use an antiviral immediately upon suspicion of infection in order to limit any possible symptoms and negative effects from the virus and of course to expedite recover and lesson duration.

However, for these younger people simply using zinc, vit D, and vit C maybe be more than sufficient except for in rare cases.

Also, keep in mind that J&J was linked to blood clots along with AstraZeneca and were removed from the general market as they are not safe and carry a great risk with their use.

Age and sex-specific risks of myocarditis and pericarditis following Covid-19 messenger RNA vaccines.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-31401-5#Tab2
This is the peer reviewed study in full
You seem to still think that single cases can be extrapolated to a conclusion for the masses...even when the study linked to is a real one (which is nice to see) you should not interpret the data 'as you please'

Do you understand what the risk mentioned in the study actually means?

Where did you read that the J&J vaccine or AstraZeneca were withdrawn, or taken off the 'general market'?

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/the-j-j-covid-19-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know
https://www.who.int/news-room/featu...NiunLZwWFShd0iVfBI-ooZDkOCDi4u1RoCfIsQAvD_BwE
Not to brush any side effects away, but you do need to view them in relation to the risk of contracting Covid (risk safety benefit) and on an absolute scale. A hundred times higher risk of having an arm fall off after taking a tablet of Aspirin sounds scary as heck, unless you report the absolute incidence...if that is 1 in a gazillion doses a hundred times more is almost meaningless.

You combine pieces of information that have no relation and jump to a conclusion that is not supported by the information you relate to...pulling things out of context to create a new 'truth' that sounds plausible to the gullible is what propaganda does.

You can watch and or read the FDA Covid advisory panel meetings in full, go ahead have alook, you'll see all the above and more discussed openly...no conspiracies, no hidden agendas, pure science at work with progressing insight.

Last edited:
eric, i do think myocarditis risk is somewhat concerning. but for me personally, long covid (chiefly olfactory and cognitive issues) is of much greater concern.

that's why my personal strategy is:
  • do what i can to avoid getting it in the first place!
  • continue getting updated mRNA vaccines if...
    • they're updated and shown to help with current variants (transmission and/or symptom severity)
    • AND evidence of the risk of side effects doesn't become overly concerning
  • take antivirals or whatever's available at first sign of infection if i do get it again
so far, i'm comfortable with risks of side effects from mRNA vaccines. just waiting on an updated release before i bother boosting.

i think you should also be aware of these "symptoms" of long covid.

hightened pulse. up to maybe 150 at resting. its not gonna kill you. but its not nice.
extremely hightened stress hormones i guess. like noradrenaline. you dont want that. i can assure you that.
this is very bad. you can never relax. and its on a molecular level. you are always on 110%. cool if you're doing speed but otherwise no.

also you feel that you are gonna die ALL THE TIME. all the time. like drowning from inside. but you never do. ask me how i know.

ive had some serious lung and hearth disease for over 1,5 years. very very serious. it feels like i'm gonna die. but i never did. so thats positive i guess.
but to be honest for about 70% of the time i wish i just was dead. it would have been preferable. but i struggle. and i win. out riding my bike every day. deep breaths. ultra deep breaths. jungle meds (aya). and then now i feel like i'm almost restored. dont know if it was the aya, the bike, or the vitamins/supplements.

then again according to the medical people i have never had covid at all. so yeah i guess it is what it is.

and now recently, maybe the last month, i have develóped a cough. and so does everyone else at work have done too.

i'm just gonna drench myself in aya, seemed to work out well the last time i didnt have covid

not gonna work marcel. it needs a certain baseline dose to work at all. its a psychological medicine. you need to interact with it/direct it to make it heal anything at all. no ****.

for me, for this **** to work at all. 25g vine. 2,5 strong leaf. and that is the first dose. it ramps up in effect. you need 3 doses.

but usually i boil up 50g vine and 10-12g leaf (strong leaf, cabrerana), for a whole night. 3 doses. divide by 3.

this **** really heals you. dont know what to say really. but its like you were born again sometimes. but its much "worse" than that. you would not belive. usually much much worse :) i'm not saying its bad. but it could get a bit intense. a bit.

but in the end it very rewarding. 100% free from disease. and a lot more than that. i'd say its worth it. buuuut you might die. other than that its completely safe.
Whenever you explain this drug you say so many contradictory things that I have no idea what it really does to you. It’s really really good but it’s also really really bad. I just don’t know what to think about it. And since you’re the person telling us this and I’m not sure where you’re coming from more often than not, it’s even harder to figure it out. I say this not as an insult and the truth is I find your thoughts very interesting. It’s just hard for me to get my mind around what you’re trying to say.

Whenever you explain this drug you say so many contradictory things that I have no idea what it really does to you

We are primitive thuggish animals. Seems to me there was moral panic over hallucinogens.... from when... the late 1960's??

To be sure, they are powerful drugs and I am not advocating for unfettered access. However, i find it sad that we were so puritanical, we decided it was too taboo to run clinical trials. We have lost half a century of medical potential. I watch with some interest as global trials into these substances are recommencing. For example, this one, which is using psilocybin (not DMT... which I believe is the main active compound in Ayahuasca). Proper science on these drugs is long overdue and could help people with difficult mental disorders...

Outside of the medical potential... their effects are fascinating to me... but my goodie-two-shoes are too tightly laced up!

... all this said... hallucinogens/psychedelics have absolutely nothing to do with Covid... @MarcelNL was being cheeky!!! ;) And I sort of view @inferno's experience through the lens of mental health...

greg.
it is very good and healing in the end, when its finished, but it could be very difficult and challenging to get there. ymmv.

luftmensch.
i'd say the science is already out there. but considering how these things work its a bit hard to say for certain that patients get result x or y. i mean how would anyone measure this. also the experienced effects would probably be very different for different patients too.

considering how these things work i don't recommend them either, its something people need to decide for themselves after long research. there is a lot to read though for those that are interested.

I was not being cheeky, microdosing works for certain indications.

These days even pharma has regained their interest in Aya and other psychoactives such as Psilo etc.

I was not being cheeky, microdosing works for certain indications.

These days even pharma has regained their interest in Aya and other psychoactives such as Psilo etc.

Mia culpa. Apologies for a misrepresentation of your remark!

No... indeed. Like I said... these new trials interest me.

i'd say the science is already out there. but considering how these things work its a bit hard to say for certain that patients get result x or y. i mean how would anyone measure this. also the experienced effects would probably be very different for different patients too.

There is certainly a lot of cultural knowledge. Whilst I respect this... the field still needs proper studies. How can these drugs be used to treat specific ailments. What are the benefits? What are the limitations? What are the risks? What is the treatment regimen? Are the effects enduring or is it temporary?

Even then... it is not clear whether therapeutic benefit will come from the drugs alone. Circling back to cultural knowledge and modern practice (e.g. the study I linked to)... you could replace 'shaman' with 'therapist'. It is possible that these drugs only have a lasting effect when patients are supervised by somebody who understands how to productively guide people through their experience...

If we're coming down from the psychedelics I'd like to turn back to the matter of covid. It appears to me that the US is sleepwalking toward yet another covid peak. Our finely tuned medical system* has completely lost track of the actual case count (estimated to currently catch as few as one in seven cases) due, at least in part, to the wider availability of at home tests. Once again the US is placing all its bets on vaccinations as supposedly new Omicron effective vaccines will be available in October or November. Whether the vaccine industry can actually get ahead of the impressive mutation rate of SARS-coV-2 variants remains to be seen. Omicron BA.5 variants are well on their way to becoming the dominant strain the US but BA.2.75 "Centaurus" might (it has a large number of mutations) might be a further concern. It is showing a rapid increase in India, where it was discovered, and it has been already detected in the US. There is also BA.5.3.1 "Bad Ned" which is rapidly becoming the dominant strain in Germany and has also been detected in the US
Ground Truths

*One of my physicians quipped that the US "...doesn't have a medical system, it has a medical industry."

it's no different anywhere else, sewage monitoring seems the most reliable method. BTW a few weeks ago the lab of the Belgian virologost Dr v Ranst came up with a way to identify virus strains from used self tests so we may be able to do without the much more costly PCR alltogether.

Our finely tuned medical system* has completely lost track of the actual case count (estimated to currently catch as few as one in seven cases) due, at least in part, to the wider availability of at home tests.

i actually tried to find a way to report that i had covid, and i couldn't find one after like 5 minutes of online searching (after which i lost interest and gave up). i'm sort of surprised my local gov't doesn't seem interested in collecting that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back