Covid: the shape of things to come

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you quote a study or article please link directly to a non-paywalled version of it.

There is some limited evidence that suggesting that there can be transmission via viral aerosols getting in the eyes. Obviously a mask isn't going to prevent that unless you're wearing a full face mask but even just wearing glasses may help.

I’m kinda pissed they didn’t warn me about this when I got lasik 7 years ago. “Doctors.” Sigh.

MIT study said indoors doesn’t matter if you are 6 ft or 60 ft apart…
same % chance of getting covid… and those silly plastic partitions actually make it worse since they disrupt the ventilation pattterns in the room….if you are indoors the best defense is a well ventilated room…

MIT study said indoors doesn’t matter if you are 6 ft or 60 ft apart…
same % chance of getting covid… and those silly plastic partitions actually make it worse since they disrupt the ventilation pattterns in the room….if you are indoors the best defense is a well ventilated room…

Interesting. One should just qualify this by saying that their study assumes a “well-mixed” room where the air is circulating around, and also assumes that everyone is wearing masks. They mention that without masks, the respiratory plume around a person can endanger people that are close by more.

The EPA and MIT, among others, were saying that this virus should be treated as an aerosol with regard to transmission in the spring of 2020 while both the CDC and WHO were doubling down on droplets and formites. The CDC really hasn't distinguished themselves during the past eighteen months. They didn't even acknowledge aerosol transmission until a few months ago and there has been no mea culpa.

Last edited:
from: Highly Vaccinated Israel Is Seeing A Dramatic Surge In New COVID Cases. Here's Why

The good news is that among Israel's serious infections on Thursday of this week, according to Health Ministry data, the rate of serious cases among unvaccinated people over age 60 (178.7 per 100,000) was nine times more than the rate among fully vaccinated people of the same age category, and the rate of serious cases among unvaccinated people in the under-60 crowd (3.2 per 100,000) was a little more than double the rate among vaccinated people in that age bracket.

so like, Im definitely happy Im vaccinated 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ian
I posted links but it looks like the moderator removed them?
it was a headline posted on Drudge Report with a link to it….

It was university of Waterloo….. studyfindsdotorg had an article…
another study in the annals of internal medicine said cloth and n95
didnt stop aerosols from covid sars when coughing….totally ineffective was the conclusion…that was from July 2020…
point being, I think there is a lot of no to low science driving some of these various mandates….
my favorite stupid one is having to wear a mask walking into the restaurant but then removing it for hours while you eat…totally nonsensical…

And the other study that said those silly glass partitions in bars and restaurants actually make it worse cause they impede the ventilation… lots of ineffective things being done….
i wear a mask whenever required, but I don’t like some of this blind faith that these ill fitting cotton masks are doing anything to help…

It was university of Waterloo….. studyfindsdotorg had an article…

It's this study. I assume you were looking at this article. It's true that the efficiency of the masks at filtering aerosols seems lower than I'd expect. But they're still useful, at marginal cost to the wearer! And they also block larger particles. Also, here is a quote from the author:

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.35.00 PM.png

another study in the annals of internal medicine said cloth and n95
didnt stop aerosols from covid sars when coughing….totally ineffective was the conclusion…that was from July 2020…

This I assume is this study. You will notice that it says "This article has been retracted."

And the other study that said those silly glass partitions in bars and restaurants actually make it worse cause they impede the ventilation…

Let me reiterate that this study was for rooms with well-mixed air and where everyone is wearing a mask. (So, not actually applicable to bars and restaurants.) It may very well be that partitions don't work in those settings, but that study doesn't show it.

----

I don't mean to be critical of your conclusions -- I don't feel like an expert on efficacy of masks -- but I don't think the sources you cite are supporting your conclusions very well.

It's this study. I assume you were looking at this article. It's true that the efficiency of the masks at filtering aerosols seems lower than I'd expect. But they're still useful, at marginal cost to the wearer! And they also block larger particles. Also, here is a quote from the author:

View attachment 139135

This I assume is this study. You will notice that it says "This article has been retracted."

Let me reiterate that this study was for rooms with well-mixed air and where everyone is wearing a mask. (So, not actually applicable to bars and restaurants.) It may very well be that partitions don't work in those settings, but that study doesn't show it.

----

I don't mean to be critical of your conclusions -- I don't feel like an expert on efficacy of masks -- but I don't think the sources you cite are supporting your conclusions very well.
My point is that the efficacy of masks is highly questionable and that an open debate is good for all.. blind faith in either approach (mask or no mask) leads to dissent and bias ..: the society all needs to work together to find the workable solutions ..

Hmm, I don't know if I agree. I think a wide majority of the good evidence out there right now says that masks are effective. I guess maybe there's some question about whether the cheap cloth masks and neck gaiters do much besides control spread of larger droplets, but it sure looks like the scientific community still agrees that masks are a good idea. I think a lot of sensationalist publications are hyping up studies like the ones you mentioned and not always putting the findings in the proper context, which makes it look more like there are two equal sides than is actually the case.

My point is that the efficacy of masks is highly questionable and that an open debate is good for all.. blind faith in either approach (mask or no mask) leads to dissent and bias ..: the society all needs to work together to find the workable solutions ..

honest question why is debate good for everyone if one side is arguing from either a set of incorrect assumptions because of their disconnect from sources of actual truth or even worse bad faith? seems like actually debate is bad in that case, because it suggests that certain viewpoints divorced from reality have equal credence to those coming from genuine experts, namely professional scientists in the relevant fields e.g. epidemiology or taerosol ransmission of sars viruses.

also why do you think your opinion is valuable?

please answer in a way that doesnt boil down to: I have thoughts so I should share them.

what are your credentials that we should listen to you?

While masks are not 100% effective at stopping the spread it does seem pretty clear they certainly help.

I mean doctors and nurses working 40 plus hours a week in Covid wards are largely able to remain uninfected.

yeah just wanted to say. what makes you think 5 shots will save you when 2 dont. its a sign the shots dont actully work in my eyes. but hey i have been wrong before. and i will be again. but in this very case i dont think i'm the one drawing the short straw. if you know what i mean.

The shots never claimed to be a cure,,, They were developed to mitigate the risk of serious, possibly life-threatening complications, and reduce hospitalization.

I think we all recognize that masks have some benefit on the individual level. Not sure why anyone is bothering to argue with people who cite garbage sources and will never be convinced... But unlike vaccines, mask effectiveness is dependent on behavior and constant vigilance, so there is still a worthwhile debate about broad mask mandates IMO

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/08/the-science-of-masking-kids-at-school-remains-uncertain.html
"The [CDC] published a notable, yet mostly ignored, large-scale study of COVID transmission in American schools... Distancing, hybrid models, classroom barriers, HEPA filters, and, most notably, requiring student masking were each found to not have a statistically significant benefit."

Emphasis mine. If you're committed to "following the science," do you still support mask mandates for school children? At what point do we admit that this has become 'pandemic security theater' and more about projecting cultural values than actual science. Or do you believe that the mask mandates studied in Georgia were perhaps not carried out ideally - like communism, maybe it's a good idea that just hasn't been executed properly yet (sarcasm, if that's not clear).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back