CPM-D2 Gyuto Pass-Around (Proposal)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSicardCutlery

Full-time Knifemaker
KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
I've been wanting to put together a PA for a knife in this steel for a while, I get the feeling people are a little apprehensive about it given that conventional D2 and SLD don't seem to get a lot of good press when it comes to kitchen knives, and I thought it might be good to get some data and feedback on the CPM version since there doesn't seem to be much of anything out there.

I was thinking I'd probably opt for one of my flatter Sabatier styled profiles, 3.2mm stock, 240 x 50mm with more of a midweight grind that's still nail-flexing (<.15mm @1mm) behind the edge.

Ideally I'd like it to get into the hands of a professional or two or a few first, just because I think they tend to have more discerning judgement about knives in general.

I haven't made the knife yet, the dimensions are still open to change, I'm still figuring out the rules, and what to do with the blade after the PA is finished. That said for now I'd like to limit the PA to North America only, to members who have been present 1 year+ with more than 100 messages and of good rapport. I don't want to seem unfriendly, but as I'll be the one taking the hit should the knife be misplaced, I reserve the right to exclude any member I deem questionable. As with all PA's, if you should break this blade, you will be responsible for paying for it (~$400ish U.S), if you can't meet that obligation should it arise, please don't participate.

Now with all that seriousness out of the way, on a lighter note it will probably be around a month before I have this blade ready to go, so lots of time. And of course this is contingent on there being sufficient interest in this PA. Ideally I'd like 10-20 participants. As for what to do with the blade at the PA's conclusion, I was thinking about a draw for interested parties who participated. Anyways, lots of time yet to get the details sorted out. I've never done this before, so I'm open to suggestions too. If you'd be interested leave a comment below.

-Matt

Ooh a passaround originating from Canada, I’d love to join if you’d slightly bend the rules on one year. 😃
Well, given that you let me work on your Comet, yeah I think I can flex them a little on your account 😁

I've been wanting to put together a PA for a knife in this steel for a while, I get the feeling people are a little apprehensive about it given that conventional D2 and SLD don't seem to get a lot of good press when it comes to kitchen knives, and I thought it might be good to get some data and feedback on the CPM version since there doesn't seem to be much of anything out there.

I was thinking I'd probably opt for one of my flatter Sabatier styled profiles, 3.2mm stock, 240 x 50mm with more of a midweight grind that's still nail-flexing (<.15mm @1mm) behind the edge.

Ideally I'd like it to get into the hands of a professional or two or a few first, just because I think they tend to have more discerning judgement about knives in general.

I haven't made the knife yet, the dimensions are still open to change, I'm still figuring out the rules, and what to do with the blade after the PA is finished. That said for now I'd like to limit the PA to North America only, to members who have been present 1 year+ with more than 100 messages and of good rapport. I don't want to seem unfriendly, but as I'll be the one taking the hit should the knife be misplaced, I reserve the right to exclude any member I deem questionable. As with all PA's, if you should break this blade, you will be responsible for paying for it (~$400ish U.S), if you can't meet that obligation should it arise, please don't participate.

Now with all that seriousness out of the way, on a lighter note it will probably be around a month before I have this blade ready to go, so lots of time. And of course this is contingent on there being sufficient interest in this PA. Ideally I'd like 10-20 participants. As for what to do with the blade at the PA's conclusion, I was thinking about a draw for interested parties who participated. Anyways, lots of time yet to get the details sorted out. I've never done this before, so I'm open to suggestions too. If you'd be interested leave a comment below.

-Matt
I think cpm d2 is pretty good..especially for the cost. Its basically the same cost as regular d2. At least where i get it

Interested but here less than a year so understand if hesitant. Would rather go towards the end since I’m no professional like some of these guys.

Southern California, if considered & no hard feelings if passed on!

Interesting steel and passaround. The steel is in a weird spot as it competes with the likes of z-wear/cruwear on one end and cpm-154/rwl34 on the other. The largest benefit of cpm-d2 is that it sharpens fine with conventional abrasives, z-wear does ok too, but maybe a bit harder. Cpm154 is not as tough, but it is more corrosion resistant. Good mid range steel for sure, just has a problem of competing with very good steels in its range. If z-wear, MagnaCut, cpm154, m4 didn't exist cpm-d2 would be a lot more popular.

I think for the people that absolutely refuse to get any kind of diamond to sharpen, it leaves a good choice.

It still competes with cpm 154 if you are considering that, and also cts-xhp (but that steel is hard to get), but its one of the better choices imo for that type of customer that wants a wear resistant steel, but doesn't want to use a diamond plate, diamond stropping compound, or get venev or similar stones.

Interested but here less than a year so understand if hesitant. Would rather go towards the end since I’m no professional like some of these guys.

Southern California, if considered & no hard feelings if passed on!
I could probably put you on the list. I have a feeling it's going to spend a bit more time in Cali than other places

Pass arounds are always fun. I'm in if you're looking for more non-pro users.
Sure!

Interesting steel and passaround. The steel is in a weird spot as it competes with the likes of z-wear/cruwear on one end and cpm-154/rwl34 on the other. The largest benefit of cpm-d2 is that it sharpens fine with conventional abrasives, z-wear does ok too, but maybe a bit harder. Cpm154 is not as tough, but it is more corrosion resistant. Good mid range steel for sure, just has a problem of competing with very good steels in its range. If z-wear, MagnaCut, cpm154, m4 didn't exist cpm-d2 would be a lot more popular.
My thoughts exactly. I think that the ability to sharpen on conventional abrasives is perhaps a too often overlooked feature in kitchen knives and that it might be better suited to kitchen knives than Z-Wear because of that and the comparable edge retention.

I could probably put you on the list. I have a feeling it's going to spend a bit more time in Cali than other places

Sure!

My thoughts exactly. I think that the ability to sharpen on conventional abrasives is perhaps a too often overlooked feature in kitchen knives and that it might be better suited to kitchen knives than Z-Wear because of that and the comparable edge retention.
Good steel and at least for this group should be more popular. Many here don't want to use diamond stones and have many conventional ones. It would be interesting to see how well it does at higher hardness. I am also curious about your sabatier style profile, it certainly looks good.

I am in LA as well, but not a pro at all.

Last edited:
I love the idea, CPM-D2 doesn't have much spotlight especially in Kitchen Cutlery. I'd be pleased to try it out and give feedback. Basically whatever KnifeSteelNerds/Makers advertise is whats in demand lately I noticed seems to be the trend.
Located in Canada

Last edited:
I’m interested in trying this but D2 from a custom maker seems odd. People like easy to sharpen steels like 52100 or AEBL and I get that. People like high hardness forged carbons like apexultra. People like balanced steels with good retention but not so easy to sharpen like magnacut, 10V, Zmax, etc.

But D2 is none of these. Conventional D2 is reportedly hard to sharpen and lacks toughness. Its only semi stainless. D2 as a monosteel sounds tough to grind and finish. The CPM PM version will undoubtedly be improved over conventional D2 but it costs more and is close in price to other PM steels. What qualities make this desirable over other options like 3V, 4V, Zwear, Vanadis 4E, PM stainless, and the like?

I’m interested in trying this but D2 from a custom maker seems odd. People like easy to sharpen steels like 52100 or AEBL and I get that. People like high hardness forged carbons like apexultra. People like balanced steels with good retention but not so easy to sharpen like magnacut, 10V, Zmax, etc.

But D2 is none of these. Conventional D2 is reportedly hard to sharpen and lacks toughness. Its only semi stainless. D2 as a monosteel sounds tough to grind and finish. The CPM PM version will undoubtedly be improved over conventional D2 but it costs more and is close in price to other PM steels. What qualities make this desirable over other options like 3V, 4V, Zwear, Vanadis 4E, PM stainless, and the like?
Easier sharpenability, compared to your examples. D2 is mainly chromium carbides. Kind of like ZDP-189's older but less buff brother. Something different. And to try out this maker. So why not?

Back