CPM-D2 Gyuto Pass-Around (Proposal)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m interested in trying this but D2 from a custom maker seems odd. People like easy to sharpen steels like 52100 or AEBL and I get that. People like high hardness forged carbons like apexultra. People like balanced steels with good retention but not so easy to sharpen like magnacut, 10V, Zmax, etc.

But D2 is none of these. Conventional D2 is reportedly hard to sharpen and lacks toughness. Its only semi stainless. D2 as a monosteel sounds tough to grind and finish. The CPM PM version will undoubtedly be improved over conventional D2 but it costs more and is close in price to other PM steels. What qualities make this desirable over other options like 3V, 4V, Zwear, Vanadis 4E, PM stainless, and the like?

Sharpenability mostly. Most most people don't have diamond stones, and that means anything with MC carbides is profoundly unpleasant to sharpen-if it can even be done properly at all. As far as I know CPM-D2 and CPM-154CM are the only two PM steels with potential to be scoring in the 500 range in CATRA that have no MC carbide and that are fully serviceable on AlO stones as a result. I think it occupies a good and perhaps somewhat ignored middle ground as far as kitchen knife steels are concerned.

FWIW I use diamonds to set/sharpen everything I make.

And sure thing, I'll put you down!

I’d be curious to try it too. 👍
You got it!

I love the idea, CPM-D2 doesn't have much spotlight especially in Kitchen Cutlery. I'd be pleased to try it out and give feedback. Basically whatever KnifeSteelNerds/Makers advertise is whats in demand lately I noticed seems to be the trend.
Located in Canada
I'm very sorry, but with only 7 posts I can't include you in this PA. Perhaps the next time around.

As for what to do with this knife at the conclusion of the PA, a couple options stand out to me-I'm open to suggestions here to, I've never done this before.

I can throw the names of interested participants (though perhaps people following the PA too?) in to the proverbial goldfish bowl and the winner can purchase the knife at full value.

Alternatively, the value can be divided by the number of interested participants, and each will buy essentially a "ticket" for that value, and one name will be drawn at the conclusion of the PA.

Of course if nobody wants the knife I can always take it back, do any refinishing that needs doing, and just put it up in the sponsor market with the rest of my knives.

Thoughts?

Sharpenability mostly. Most most people don't have diamond stones, and that means anything with MC carbides is profoundly unpleasant to sharpen-if it can even be done properly at all. As far as I know CPM-D2 and CPM-154CM are the only two PM steels with potential to be scoring in the 500 range in CATRA that have no MC carbide and that are fully serviceable on AlO stones as a result. I think it occupies a good and perhaps somewhat ignored middle ground as far as kitchen knife steels are concerned.

FWIW I use diamonds to set/sharpen everything I make.

And sure thing, I'll put you down!

You got it!

I'm very sorry, but with only 7 posts I can't include you in this PA. Perhaps the next time around.

As for what to do with this knife at the conclusion of the PA, a couple options stand out to me-I'm open to suggestions here to, I've never done this before.

I can throw the names of interested participants (though perhaps people following the PA too?) in to the proverbial goldfish bowl and the winner can purchase the knife at full value.

Alternatively, the value can be divided by the number of interested participants, and each will buy essentially a "ticket" for that value, and one name will be drawn at the conclusion of the PA.

Of course if nobody wants the knife I can always take it back, do any refinishing that needs doing, and just put it up in the sponsor market with the rest of my knives.

Thoughts?
Personally like the raffle -esque idea of split cost with tickets. Seen a few makers on IG so it recently and it seems like a fun way to do it.

20 tix at $20 so someone could buy it outright by buying all tickets or 20 people get a 5% shot if winning, and if you lose it feels more like a “thanks for letting me try the knife, here’s a tip” kinda deal. Cost is low enough that feelings shouldn’t be too hurt.

Edit - this is of course if there are a number of people interested in buying

Last edited:
Interested in getting in on this - in SLC, UT. Very cool of you to put this on and get a new-to-many steel in people's hands!
Somehow I think I missed your post earlier, sorry about that. You're in!

I'm too lazy to count how many people are already in the passaround, but if the list isn't too long then I'd like to get in on this. I've been wanting to try this steel in a kitchen knife (although I might have already made one by the time it gets to me!), and I've been wanting to try out your work. I run a catering service part-time, knife sharpening and repair service the rest of the time. Located in North Carolina.

I'm too lazy to count how many people are already in the passaround, but if the list isn't too long then I'd like to get in on this. I've been wanting to try this steel in a kitchen knife (although I might have already made one by the time it gets to me!), and I've been wanting to try out your work. I run a catering service part-time, knife sharpening and repair service the rest of the time. Located in North Carolina.
You're in.

I certainly understand if this is filled up. Also, I'm just a home cook, but if there's space for a slot I would love to participate. I'm located in the Sacramento, Ca area.
Sure!

Alrighty, I settled on 235mm for the length, and apparently the company sent me a sheet of 4mm stock so it's going to be a bit thicker than I planned on. The HT and profiling I got done yesterday and this morning. I'm hoping to get the blade ground in the next day or 2 so this can get underway.

Ha, so much for that plan. Well short of sharpening it the knife is finished, pictures and measurements will be coming soon. For those participating in the PA please message me with your mailing addresses so I can get the order sorted out and hopefully ship the knife to the first person next week. I realize many of you are former customers and somewhere I have your addresses, but please just DM it to me again all the same as it's much easier than digging through old conversations.

Here are the pictures and final specs

• Blade: 236mmx52mm CPM-D2 ~64HRC) scotchbrite belt finish
  • Neck: 18mmx18mm
  • Handle: 145mm long, 22mmx25mm tapering to 19mmx21mm, burned oak, oiled and waxed
  • POB: 50mm from the hande
  • Spine: 3.66mm at the neck, 3.18mm at 13.2cm, .63mm 1cm from the tip
  • Grind: flat to convex, right hand bias
  • Weight: 183g
  • Relieved choil and spine
  • Edge: .22mm@1mm, .35mm@2mm, .55mm@5mm, .9mm@10mm Measured at the midpoint.
Please DM me with your shipping address if you haven't yet.

Attachments

• 20230731_122758.jpg
    20230731_122758.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230731_122813.jpg
    20230731_122813.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230731_1226561.jpg
    20230731_1226561.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230731_1227091.jpg
    20230731_1227091.jpg