Creating a flat spot

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by Newdent, Jul 12, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jul 12, 2019 #1

Newdent

Newdent

Newdent

Hey guys

I just bought my first Japanese knife. I'm mostly happy with it but wish it had a flat for chopping, it's got a slight curve the whole way. It's 240mm and I'm hoping to try and flatten perhaps the first third near the heel, or maybe a touch more.

I'm new to everything, have only sharpened a knife on my stone once (1k/6k reversible). I was thinking I could possibly get some courser paper and flatten it on a glass cutting board my girlfriend uses (with her knives of course, my knife is going nowhere near that thing). Any tips would be great!

2. Jul 12, 2019 #2
    Maybe you could show us a photo of the blade profile on a cutting board against a bright background, so that we can a better idea about the profile of the cutting edge. My point is - a flat spot is not supposed to be perfectly flat, but if it is curved too much it can cause problems too.

3. Jul 12, 2019 #3

Newdent

Newdent

Newdent

Hey, of course. Not the best photo, sorry. I'm just having issues where it's not getting all the way through food when chopping, the food is staying attached slightly at the bottom. I never had this issue with my previous swiss knife that has a flat spot.

Attached Files:

4. Jul 12, 2019 #4
    My personal advice would be - if the knife does not work for you, than sell it and get a different one. It is apparently knife with a less pronounced flat spot. To change the profile will be a LOT of work that will require some experience to get it done right. Of course if it was not an expensive knife, then it may serve well to learn something new. If you do decide to give it a try be prepared that you will have to work on basically the whole blade, as changing just one part of the blade would create a 'shoulder' in the profile (at the place where you newly created flat spot would end)

CiderBear and Benuser like this.
  5. Jul 12, 2019 #5

Newdent

Newdent

Newdent

Thank you for your advice. It is a cheap knife, so I would be willing to experiment with it but I will hold off for now. I've just ordered a Nakiri of similar value and I will trial the two knives and see which one suits me. I only chop veg due to being vegetarian, so perhaps the Nakiri will suffice. If not, I'll perhaps do a bit of work to my Gyuto as returning the Gyuto is not possible.

6. Jul 12, 2019 #6

nutmeg

nutmeg

nutmeg

Supporting Member

If it was easy, you already did it ;-)
    Your knife is going to lose its cutting quality and value, don't do it..!
    And you'r also going to destroy your stone.

Nemo likes this.
  7. Jul 13, 2019 at 5:26 AM #7

Barclid

Barclid

Barclid

Adjusting your cutting technique would be a more worthwhile project than putting a flat spot in that knife.

8. Jul 13, 2019 at 2:00 PM #8

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

Agree...also some of this is about angle of the wrist and push/pull vs vertical only chop styles

9. Jul 15, 2019 at 2:18 AM #9

Jville

Jville

Jville

Another thing to consider is that a lot of knives have some back belly at the heel. If you let the knife fall forward more sometimes there is an area in the middle that might have more board contact. Sometimes just adding a little swinging motion into your chop can work really well and still feel natural.

SilverSwarfer likes this.
  10. Jul 16, 2019 at 9:32 PM #10

Kippington

Kippington

Kippington

A small green parrot Hobbyist Craftsman

You're right, but judging by OP's picture it isn't the case here. I could totally see why he would want more flat-ish spot on that thing, it looks like it's in its third trimester.

@Newdent, adding a flat spot into the profile is easy. Fixing the grind afterwards... not so much.
    Did you want to mess around with the profile and ignore the grind for now? That wouldn't be a bad idea if you consider this to be worth more as a learning project, rather than a usable knife. It's performance would get better in board feel, but much worse in cutting ability.
    If you don't consider this a project to fool around with, Matus and others have the right idea.

Carl Kotte likes this.
  11. Jul 16, 2019 at 11:50 PM #11

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

+1 ... As Kip and others allude to, every action will have an equal and opposite reaction
    somewhere on the profile and/or grind.

Also, its OK to let any knife go ... and not try to force it to work
    especially when the profile ... just doesn't jive with you.

Good luck either way, OP

12. Jul 17, 2019 at 8:51 AM #12

Newdent

Newdent

Newdent

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm glad I asked as I probably would have ruined the knife short term.

I little update, my Nakiri arrived. I'd not used one before and I must say I love it. Just felt right straight away. Flat profile suits my style of chopping and I only chop veg, so can't see any issues with it.

I've not decided what I'll do with my gyuto yet. I can't return it and if definitely want to mod it if I kept it. May well sell it at a bit of a loss and just accept that I need to get one with a flatter profile in future.

Carl Kotte and nutmeg like this.