Crossback Aprons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to move on from the cheap linen aprons. Primarily because of the strain on my neck and shoulders after longer shifts.
Cross back aprons sound like a nice solution.
I’m liking what I see from Hedley and Bennet. Crossback Collection
Thanks to @soigne_west for the recommendation. What other brands do you guys like for cross back?

I always keep some nicer aprons around. Sometimes I just wear the crappy linen ones at work because i’m lazy. Hedely has always made some real cool stuff. They’ve really blown up in the past couple years. Valentich goods is another favorite of mine. I think I have some aprons from chef’s satchel as well. There are a couple others i’ll have to think of.

Cross-back aprons are awesome for when you’re looking to get rid of the neck loop. I like to try and drink as much water as possible at work. Sometimes the cross-back aprons can become a pain to take off and put on in a rush.
I can’t believe how expensive some of this stuff is these days though.. especially from Hedley. But their customer service is great. I’ve even been wearing their masks at work. Definitely shop around before just settling on paying over $100 for one apron. Or check out chefworks cross-backs. I have one of theirs. Not amazing quality but it gets the job done and washes pretty well. I just air dry it because my chefworks stuff has always shrank a ton.

When I was in Maine I knew a couple people using the Portland Apron Company X-Back Work Apron but these were bakers, not chefs. I've heard some positive comments about Under NY Sky. Hedley and Bennet seems to recieve almost universal positive reviews. I have a Cayson which I was given. It is alright but not great - apparently only available in a single size and they're not big on pockets although I'm aware that some chefs hate pockets other than maybe a chest pocket.

Edit: BlueCut is yet another apron. I've known people that used and liked Tilit aprons but it doesn't look like they do x-backs or H/ladder backs.

Last edited:
It's hard to get edgier than face tatts, indeed.
Combine with pseudo-Merchant Marine tats, ear plugs, and a wrist bandana... then your career as an apron model is on the right track.

I also think chef wear has stepped their game up in the last few years.

Please let us know how they work out after you've used them for a couple months.
This one looks fine for $29.
perhaps Ill grab a cheaper one and a nice one.
Caldo Crossback Kitchen Apron for Cooking - Mens and Womens Professional Chef or Server Bib Apron - Adjustable Crossback Style - Rustic- Midweight Cotton (Navy) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QL38645/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FtwqFb83W5WPG
Just a quick update: The $30 Caldo brand crossback is nice for the price. No complaints with regard to the fit, quality or style especially for the $30 price tag.
Would like to grab a couple more cross backs but I’m not sure I’m ready for the $100 tier. Anybody have a good $50-60 crossback they’d recommend?

I dig my h&b cross back - and it does feel nicer on the shoulders/neck. But what I find I’m not liking is that I can’t keep the waist as tight as I want it. Bc as you try to tighten it up you really just raise it up a little, if you tighten it a couple times just sort of absent mindedly over the course of a couple hours eventually your choking yourself out (exaggeration).

Okay went crazy and ordered 2 Hedley&Bennet aprons and a JKI apron (along w JKI peeler) should arrive early in the week. If anybody is interested I can share my impressions.
No one wants to talk about crossbacks with me 😢?
I’m an idiot and somehow always struggled taking it off when I had to step off the line so I gave up on them

Yeah. They can be a pain. I wish aprons and coats weren’t so expensive. I have a few different aprons. As long as the jacket i’m wearing has the apron loop on the back of the neck, i’m good. I like crossbacks but sometimes i’m not in the mood to deal with them. Lately I find myself mostly using rental cheap linen aprons just because they are so light. All the ones i’ve purchased, including Hedley, have been heavier and I get hot quick. I actually was given an inexpensive crossback from chefworks. I’m usually not a huge fan because their stuff sometimes shrinks and always fades. This one is actually decent though. Maybe they stepped their game
up also. I’m still trying to find the perfect black jacket that’s not $140 lol.

It would be interesting to see a comparison h&b and the jki apron to see what the differences are.

Those JKI aprons look nice because they look lighter. I might have to pick one up soon. Now is not the best time.

I've got a cross-back in waxed canvas from Hudson that was under $40. It's a great apron, super comfortable, durable, highly recommended, can be a little tedious to clean at the end of the week... BUT they sell a non-waxed canvas version that's machine washable.

Back